Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 12:15 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times

Advertisements

In my mind there is only one race... The human race.. Races differ more due to culture than because of the pigment of their skin.. I dated hispanics throughout high school.... They were great and I could have ended up with one easily, but just happenstance that I didn't. I could embrace the hispanic culture, but some of the other cultures I couldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 12:29 PM

445 posts, read 864,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
In my mind there is only one race... The human race.. Races differ more due to culture than because of the pigment of their skin.. I dated hispanics throughout high school.... They were great and I could have ended up with one easily, but just happenstance that I didn't. I could embrace the hispanic culture, but some of the other cultures I couldn't.

Do tell .

Old 06-22-2013, 07:25 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,470,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_jay12 View Post
Mostly Galicians; they are a mix of the Celtics (the ethnic group that Irish and British belong to) and Norse, since Vikings came to that area near 1K years ago. The Basque are also lighter than the southern Spaniards. Don't forget that a significant number of Italians also blended in with the Spaniards in most Latin American countries.
Yeah... Southern Spain and the mezzogiorno can produce darker whites to some extent. My understanding is the Northern parts of both countries do not like the people of the Southern portions of their respective nations.

Funny thing is... I had a mestizo professor from Peru that visited Spain with his family once. He told me some of the people in Northern Spain where a bit snippy with him when they first took him as a Southern Spaniard (meaning they must have thought he looked like he could come from Southern Spain). When they found out he was Latin American they became more polite.

But even most Southern Spaniards, Italians, and Sicilians look like your "average white." A few of them can get pretty swarthy though. I saw a Sicilian-American woman once (fine as all h___ too) that looked Latina in a J-Lo complexion. In fact, apparently most other white women took her as Latina (from Latin American ancestry) and therefore have made negative comments to or behind her back before.

Edit to add:

Oh! I had to add this. Someone I knew who was half German-American and half Sicilian-American, had a Sicilian-American father. Apparently he was one of those few Sicilian men that could get quite dark through tanning under the summer sun.

So, he's was out cutting his lawn one day, when the person I knew (female-now deceased), answered the phone in the house that was ringing. She was a teenager at this point. The person on the other line was a neighbor. And adult white woman. She asked her in surprise and curiosity, "Who is that n____ out their cutting your grass?"

LMAO!

She replied back in a scream, "That's my father!"

Old 06-22-2013, 07:43 PM

445 posts, read 864,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Yeah... Southern Spain and the mezzogiorno can produce darker whites to some extent. My understanding is the Northern parts of both countries do not like the people of the Southern portions of their respective nations.

Funny thing is... I had a mestizo professor from Peru that visited Spain with his family once. He told me some of the people in Northern Spain where a bit snippy with him when they first took him as a Southern Spaniard (meaning they must have thought he looked like he could come from Southern Spain). When they found out he was Latin American they became more polite.

But even most Southern Spaniards, Italians, and Sicilians look like your "average white." A few of them can get pretty swarthy though. I saw a Sicilian-American woman once (fine as all h___ too) that looked Latina in a J-Lo complexion. In fact, apparently most other white women took her as Latina (from Latin American ancestry) and therefore have made negative comments to or behind her back before.

Edit to add:

Oh! I had to add this. Someone I knew who was half German-American and half Sicilian-American, had a Sicilian-American father. Apparently he was one of those few Sicilian men that could get quite dark through tanning under the summer sun.

So, he's was out cutting his lawn one day, when the person I knew (female-now deceased), answered the phone in the house that was ringing. She was a teenager at this point. The person on the other line was a neighbor. And adult white woman. She asked her in surprise and curiosity, "Who is that n____ out their cutting your grass?"

LMAO!

She replied back in a scream, "That's my father!"
Sounds like one of Paula Deen's friends.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Straight out of the Mexica Movement/Chicano Studies 101 playbook.
They have a playbook?

Is it anything like the gay army playybook? Wow. How exciting! Please give us a link because I've read the Ask-A-Mexican guy (Gustavo Arellano who is simply too wonderful for words) since he started telling us all about Mexicans and he hasn't mentioned this playbook and it would be soooo handy to know what they're doing in one easy-to-use volume.

You know. In case I want to learn how to overthrow a government or something. So if you could post a link to it..... gracias, amigo.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:21 PM

362 posts, read 794,299 times
The stat may be misleading because we do not know how much of the "White" people marrying hispanics are actually "White hispanics". In which case these are not true interracial relationships. These may not be the sullivan marrying the sanchez. This might be the garcias who put they are white hispanic on the census from mexico marrying the sullivan or it can be white looking cubans marrying whites.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:06 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
"My question is this: why do white Americans have such an aversion to Asians and Blacks and others, in differing parts of the USA while having huge shares of their communities marrying Hispanics in the Southwest? Why do Hispanics have an almost negative number of marriages to blacks and Asians? while having a 90% chance of marrying a white person when they do marry out? clearly their are racial preferences in dating in the USA, with certain races doing the majority of the mixing. Are the thoughts on race similar between Mestizos and Whites?

<primarily Mexicans & whites and Mexicans and others> and most likely to be found in the Southwest of the USA. >"

I think that can be explained by looking at it from a historical perspective. Whites and Mexicans (who are white and native American) have been mixing it up for a couple of hundred years in the southwest. There are no barriers to break, it's really no big deal.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:49 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times
leading the way for what?????
your state is a mess and people are still leaving in droves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
California still leading the way...

Old 06-23-2013, 08:55 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times
Well I can say the same for alot of urban black people. For a nation that loves to shove diversity and multiculturalism down the throats of everyone...mostly white people, there are black people here in the strawberry mansion section of philly who act like they have never seen white people before. Case in point, my wife teaches in that neighbourhood and took my daughter in last week. My daughter has blonde hair and blue eyes and the older girls asked her why her hair is 'that color'.
The other people were like wow, look how white she is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
.. Heck they have no clue when it comes to any racial makeup when it comes to the southwest... The southwest is a lot more accepting and laid back about all this than other parts of the country... We don't understand your racism where YOU all live..

Old 06-23-2013, 11:05 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Well I can say the same for alot of urban black people. For a nation that loves to shove diversity and multiculturalism down the throats of everyone...mostly white people, there are black people here in the strawberry mansion section of philly who act like they have never seen white people before. Case in point, my wife teaches in that neighbourhood and took my daughter in last week. My daughter has blonde hair and blue eyes and the older girls asked her why her hair is 'that color'.
The other people were like wow, look how white she is.
That indicates the legacy of whites' efforts to keep blacks away from their neighborhoods and lives. It is not blacks who drive that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies