Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 10:46 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I'm predicting a very narrow ruling from the Supreme Court. Yes, I think DOMA will fall and Ms. Windsor will get her tax money back, but I cannot see SCOTUS legalizing same sex marriage nationwide in one grandiose 'swoop'. Justice Ginsburg has repeatedly said that the Roe V. Wade ruling shut down the national debate on abortion and created a backlash ... something that should not be repeated in her view.
She is right. That, and it is a states' issue.

Quote:
Believe it or not, a grand ruling legalizing same sex marriage nationwide may NOT be in the long term best interest of the LGBT community. Look what happened in Canada: after it was legalized the LGBT community experienced a drop in donations to their organizations and a feeling of apathy and complacency started to set in. There was a general feeling of "we won!" and the community is resting on it's laurels. Here in the US, if the LGBT community has to fight for marriage equality state by state it will be an incremental struggle that will take years, but it will also strengthen and unite the community and it's supporters and lead to a movement that has increasing political power and political savviness.
For some reason, this is hard for people to grasp. Just like it is hard for people to grasp that forcing someone to bake you a wedding cake, when there are plenty of bakeries that would be more than happy to do it, does not help win over the hearts and minds of people. It makes them think you are trying to force your values on them. It creates resentment and you run the danger of starting a backlash. Time heals so much, if you allow it.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:48 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
OK about 9 hours left. Place your final bets.
Parts of DOMA will be struck down, but not the whole thing. The California stuff, whatever way they come down, will be written in a way that the ruling only applies to California or the 9th Circuit.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:57 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,153 times
I guess the bet should have been on when. Some are now predicting it won't be until Thursday or Friday and some even have gone so far as to say July 1.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:02 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,991 times
Is no one awake??

Old 06-26-2013, 09:05 AM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Is no one awake??
I am!

Old 06-26-2013, 09:06 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
The conventional wisdom was right. DOMA fell. Prop. 8 had no standing (although the votes were different than many expected).

Old 06-26-2013, 09:11 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
I'm predicting a very narrow ruling from the Supreme Court. Yes, I think DOMA will fall and Ms. Windsor will get her tax money back, but I cannot see SCOTUS legalizing same sex marriage nationwide in one grandiose 'swoop'. Justice Ginsburg has repeatedly said that the Roe V. Wade ruling shut down the national debate on abortion and created a backlash ... something that should not be repeated in her view.

Believe it or not, a grand ruling legalizing same sex marriage nationwide may NOT be in the long term best interest of the LGBT community. Look what happened in Canada: after it was legalized the LGBT community experienced a drop in donations to their organizations and a feeling of apathy and complacency started to set in. There was a general feeling of "we won!" and the community is resting on it's laurels. Here in the US, if the LGBT community has to fight for marriage equality state by state it will be an incremental struggle that will take years, but it will also strengthen and unite the community and it's supporters and lead to a movement that has increasing political power and political savviness.
So you're admitting it's NOT about equality and marriage, but rather about cramming an agenda down the American people's throats?

I'm glad this came down the way it did. And gays who are truly conservative, but 1-issue voters, can feel free to join the conservative cause. Unless of course it's about more than equality.....

Old 06-26-2013, 09:12 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The conventional wisdom was right. DOMA fell. Prop. 8 had no standing (although the votes were different than many expected).
Another nail in the Clinton legacy-coffin.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:15 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Based on all the gun rights cases I follow and support I called this last year that it would be sent packing for standing.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:28 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So you're admitting it's NOT about equality and marriage, but rather about cramming an agenda down the American people's throats?

I'm glad this came down the way it did. And gays who are truly conservative, but 1-issue voters, can feel free to join the conservative cause. Unless of course it's about more than equality.....
I wish SCOTUS would have simply made a sweeping ruling legalizing gay marriage in all 50 states. Gays could have their equality and we as a nation would move on. That, however, wouldn't be in the far left's best interest. Many of Obama's supporters, especially younger people, supported him primarily because of same sex marriage. Without that issue, the far left would lose significant support because people would be free to vote on other issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies