Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 05:27 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Um actually it was far better.
In the 30's Chicago had a murder rate of 14.6 per 100,000. In 2010, Chicago had a rate of 15.6.

In 1960's Little Chicago, the murder rate was 50 per 100,000. The city was much smaller than Chicago.

For the posters commenting about the size of the city grow up. When murders happen in small towns your more likely to be affected. The people in Eastern KY and Western KY are family, friends, etc. A RATE is a scale. I don't know how you can't understand or rationalize that.

You could have grew up in Chicago current day and have never seen a murder or shooting; someone growing up in a smaller city could have witnessed a shooting or murder.

What is some of you poster's credibility when it comes to violence in this country?

Old 06-21-2013, 05:30 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
There's been many claims by posters and by some in public that crime in this country is due to race.
You're cherry picking an area that has a high murder rate for whites.

Half the murders in this country are committed by blacks and they make up less than 15% of the population, that's the bottom line.

I live in all white area, gun ownership is about 90% if I had to guess. There is no murders here. You're more likely to be killed by stray bullet than be shot on purpose and I don't recall anyone in the area getting shot by a stray bullet in my lifetime.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:35 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
Quote:
Half the murders in this country are committed by blacks and they make up less than 15% of the population, that's the bottom line.
I think that crime rates in general are higher within the black community. I recall seeing some good long term stats on this. Interesting this was not always the case, but the black crime rate exploded in the 1960s for some reason...

Old 06-21-2013, 05:39 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
This article is from 1991? So why in 2013 do you want to discuss it?

Why don't you discuss why your city doesn't want to release the murder rate to the FBI? Maybe because your city would be #1 dangerous city? Reminds me of a state that wouldn't release the unemployment rate close to the election...

Amazing how no one in Chicago wants to do ANYTHING about the violence-another great city going down the tubes.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I think that crime rates in general are higher within the black community. I recall seeing some good long term stats on this. Interesting this was not always the case, but the black crime rate exploded in the 1960s for some reason...
It was hard drugs. They were pushed into some neighborhoods. Black leaders were assassinated or silenced. Manufacturing jobs moved away. Hmm... sound familiar

I'll just say this. Black people did NOT bring crack into this country. But were the 1st community affected by it.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
This article is from 1991? So why in 2013 do you want to discuss it?

Why don't you discuss why your city doesn't want to release the murder rate to the FBI? Maybe because your city would be #1 dangerous city? Reminds me of a state that wouldn't release the unemployment rate close to the election...

Amazing how no one in Chicago wants to do ANYTHING about the violence-another great city going down the tubes.
Chicago is only an adopted city. I'm from Little Chicago. The city with the 50 per 100,000.

I say that violence is the same because I've experienced it.

Why do you keep trying to insert race?? Should Russia give up its fight to end crime because their population is white?

Old 06-21-2013, 05:52 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
While we're at it, I think we also need to dispel the notion that men are taller than women. After all, WNBA players are taller than most men.

Thus, the myth of male height superiority is disproved.
Well thats just stupid because when you compare those genetic freaks to the the NBA freaks they would be short again.

On AVERAGE women are shorter than men.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:11 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:

What are the real reasons we have such high murder rates in this country? What can we do to solve the issue?
Drugs, unemployment and people who hang with/live with losers.

1. Arrest and imprison users, not dealers. Dealers will go away when there is no one to sell to.

2. Don't pass laws that 1) make being unemployed profitable and 2) pass laws or don't enforce laws that allow in masses of poor immigrants.

3. single person dwellings.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:16 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
Intelligent Readers Beware, this is not a racist thread.

There's been many claims by posters and by some in public that crime in this country is due to race. This thread's only intention is to dispel that notion and to allow us to get to the root problems of our high murder rates. It's definitely an area we could improve in.

What can be done to solve our crime issues? I won't even begin the thread with an agenda.

Kentucky Murder Rate | Kentucky homicide rates outdo those of major cities - Baltimore Sun

In addition to Eastern KY, Western KY has had some violent times as well. Little Chicago had murder rates in the 60's with rates of over 50 per 100,000.

What are the real reasons we have such high murder rates in this country? What can we do to solve the issue?
America is a violent nation period. The idea that skin color explains anything human behavior is apart of American white supremacist culture. We have not shaken the idea that somehow skin color causes behavior and that people who are not white are inherently messed up.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:50 AM

26,469 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
A good starting poiint:

Facts on Fatherless Kids
And the sad fact is, fatherless kids are increasing. 1/3rd of kids today don't have a father in their life. 74% of Detroit.

The single parent household rate has doubled since 1960.

Kids growing up in single parent homes are more likely to drop out of school, commit crimes, engage in early sex, become a single mom or dead beat dad, etc... Even when compared to their peers in the same socio-economic back-ground. As a teacher you can notice the kids from broken homes performing worse than the kids not from broken homes.

LifeSiteNews Mobile | The number of US children living in single-parent homes has nearly doubled in 50 years: Census data

U.S. Children in Single-Mother Families - Population Reference Bureau
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies