Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 07:48 AM

26,489 posts, read 15,066,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Semantics. Are all those areas in America? Yes, so that counts as American violence.

Yes if you remove all of violence in America, then America is a less violent. I don't see how that matters.
If one states that America is a very violent place - I am simply arguing that most of America isn't very violent. We have hot spots. Most of Michigan is not very violent. My county is very safe. My county has a murder rate that is extremely low.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Whose culture specifically?
America's culture. Video games, music, movies....

I would like to see an experiment...

Don't know where we would get the money from, but...maybe a 5 to 10 year block grant for free day care in the city of Detroit or Flint. Would this help single mothers, would this help with more parental supervision? Would this help alleviate the problems correlated to single parenting?

Old 06-21-2013, 07:55 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Is this really accurate?

It's not murder, if the other guy is packing heat, too.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:55 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
America's culture. Video games, music, movies....

I would like to see an experiment...

Don't know where we would get the money from, but...maybe a 5 to 10 year block grant for free day care in the city of Detroit or Flint. Would this help single mothers, would this help with more parental supervision? Would this help alleviate the problems correlated to single parenting?
Millions of non violent people play video games, listen to music, and watch movies,

Old 06-21-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Millions of non violent people play video games, listen to music, and watch movies,
Yes, of course and many countries share our culture...but when you add it into other factors that the US has...

A much higher rate of broken homes and etc...

Old 06-21-2013, 08:02 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
If one states that America is a very violent place - I am simply arguing that most of America isn't very violent. We have hot spots. Most of Michigan is not very violent. My county is very safe. My county has a murder rate that is extremely low.
This is true of any nation. So, it is semantics

Old 06-21-2013, 08:16 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Crime and violence are related to poverty, drugs and gangs which are exacerbated by social factors like unemployment, lack of parental supervision, lack of activities for kids etc. etc.

It's not caused by pigmenation. (as you well know)

Anyone not understanding history won't get how different groups can having varying issues with social factors.
Crime and violence, poverty, drugs and gangs, social factors like unemployment, lack of parental supervision etc. etc., are related to race.

Pigmenation is also related to race.

Anyone not understanding evolutionary biology won't get why there are different groups (races) or why it is perfectly normal that these groups will have varying issues with social factors.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:28 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
The thing about murder is there are plenty of things I can do to get myself murdered, and I might deserve it on a given occasion. Calling this "violent” doesn’t take into account how many victims knowingly put themselves in a position or situation to get murdered as opposed to a rape victim, where there is nothing a woman can do to put herself into a position to deserve to be raped.
IMO I think Rape is more of an indication of "violent" behavior than murder. Just because a person’s life doesn't necessarily hang in the balance doesn't mean it is less violent.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
This is true of any nation. So, it is semantics
Of most nations.

Do you not agree that much of America has a very low murder rate? Do you not agree that spots within America have an extraordinarily high murder rate compared to the rest of the country?

In 2012, the city of Detroit with about 7% of Michigan's population had about 2/3rds of the murders. Yet I can find entire counties with zero murders for 2012. Is it not fair to say the murderless counties are in fact areas of low violence, while Detroit is a violent place?

Michigan has a murder rate above the national average...yet more than 90% of the counties have a very low murder rate...that is my point...all of America is not violent.

It is a generalization to say "all" of America is violent. Sort of like people who allude that all black people are violent based on the fact of 13% of the population committing half the murders...you have to break down the numbers and look at poverty rates and etc...

Old 06-21-2013, 08:44 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Intelligent Readers Beware, this is not a racist thread.

There's been many claims by posters and by some in public that crime in this country is due to race. This thread's only intention is to dispel that notion and to allow us to get to the root problems of our high murder rates. It's definitely an area we could improve in.

What can be done to solve our crime issues? I won't even begin the thread with an agenda.

Kentucky Murder Rate | Kentucky homicide rates outdo those of major cities - Baltimore Sun

In addition to Eastern KY, Western KY has had some violent times as well. Little Chicago had murder rates in the 60's with rates of over 50 per 100,000.

What are the real reasons we have such high murder rates in this country? What can we do to solve the issue?
Do you think an article written in 1991 (22 years ago) about a small area of the United States, is meaningful to this topic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies