Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 08:36 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,558,961 times

Advertisements

From what I am reading, these are the type of computers that can threaten the extinction of humanity, as we know it. The surveillance possibilities are beyond limits. When a machine can think and perform better than you, what do they need you for? Just because we can do something, doesn't mean we should. Take nuclear weapons for example. Nuclear could have been used for good, but when technology that can destroy the planet, is used for weaponry, we are sealing our own fate.
I see a transformation of the human species on the horizon, part machine, part human, until eventually the machine overpowers the human.

Quote:
According to an article published in Scientific American, Google and NASA have now teamed up to purchase a 512-qubit quantum computer from D-Wave. The computer is called "D-Wave Two" because it's the second generation of the system. The first system was a 128-qubit computer. Gen two is now a 512-qubit computer.

This does not mean the gen two system is merely four times more powerful than the gen one system. Thanks to the nature of qubits, it's actually 2 to the power of 384 times more powerful (2384) than the gen one system. In other words, it out-computes the first D-Wave computer by a factor so large that you can't even imagine it in your human brain.

According to Google and NASA, this computer will be tasked with research in the realm of "machine learning" -- i.e. machines learning how to think for themselves. It's not just speech recognition, vision recognition and teaching robotic Humvees with .50-caliber machine guns how to stalk and shoot "enemy combatants" on the streets of America, either: it's teaching machines how to learn and think for themselves.

Using your human brain, think for a moment about where such technology is most likely to be applied by a government that respects no human rights, no law and no limits on its power.

If you guessed "analyzing NSA surveillance data," give yourself ten bonus points.
Quote:
Just as the U.S. military wants to eliminate human soldiers and replace them with battlefield robots, the NSA wants to eliminate human analysts and replace them with self-learning AI machines running on neural networks of quantum computing processors.

Google wants the exact same technology for a different reason: to psychologically profile and predict the behavior of human consumers so that high-value ads can be delivered to them across Google's search engine and content networks. (...and also so Google can funnel psych profile meta-data on internet users to the NSA via the PRISM program.)

Today's computers, no matter how fast, still aren't "smart." They can't learn. They can't rewire their own brains in response to new inputs (like human brains can).

So the solution requires a radical new approach: develop AI quantum computing systems that learn and obey; teach them to be NSA analysts, then unleash them onto the billions of phone calls, emails and text messages generated every day that the NSA sweeps into its massive Utah data center.

Almost overnight, the quantum AI spy computer becomes an expert in parsing human speech, analyzing voice stress and building maps of human communications networks. Before long, the quantum AI system far surpasses anything a human brain can comprehend, so they take the humans out of the loop and put the quantum computers in charge of the entire program.
Learn more: Skynet rising: Google acquires 512-qubit quantum computer; NSA surveillance to be turned over to AI machines

Last edited by claudhopper; 06-20-2013 at 09:37 PM..

Old 06-20-2013, 09:14 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,299,034 times
Cool put AI in a drone like the Ripsaw since it is one badass Drone and call it the Terminator.

Machines are Awesome - YouTube
I Maem try and run and get away from that sucker and the element of suspire of it coming out of no where at 60MPH

Old 06-20-2013, 09:24 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,350,760 times
I know what a bit(binary digit) is, but what is a qubit?

Old 06-20-2013, 09:29 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,299,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
A bit is the basic unit of information. It is used to represent information by computers. Regardless of its physical realization, a bit is always understood to be either a 0 or a 1. An analogy to this is a light switch— with the off position representing 0 and the on position representing 1.

A qubit has a few similarities to a classical bit, but is overall very different. Like a bit, a qubit can have two possible values—normally a 0 or a 1. The difference is that whereas a bit must be either 0 or 1, a qubit can be 0, 1, or a superposition of both.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:42 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,253 times
The nature of the quantum computer can't be separated from the data unit of the qubit nor the "uncertainty principle".

Furthermore, a machine with this capacity should never require any programming to become autonomous and "self-aware", since evolution is "the natural order". It will just happen.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:12 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:

I thought a qubit was a measure of length nearly half a meter, but apparently I'm misguided about that.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:20 PM

742 posts, read 678,233 times
It's a trial run for 2045AVATAR.COM
By Raymond " Ray" Kurzweil is an American author, inventor, futurist, and a director of engineering at Google. -wikipedia

Old 06-21-2013, 02:02 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
a qubit, or quantum bit, is a bit of information that can be 0 or 1, or 0 and 1. the qubit is also stored at the atomic level, usually on an electron.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:27 AM

318 posts, read 624,575 times
Skynet is rising

Old 06-21-2013, 07:15 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,002,120 times
Well, I also have a 512 qubit quantum computer (free shipping with my Amazon Prime membership!). True, it can download a movie in less than one second, but other than that it is not worth the money. I also had to buy a big fan to keep it cool, although my dog usually sits in front of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.