Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 02:36 AM

362 posts, read 794,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Why African Americans typically have no wealth?

It's an interesting question. Blacks have lower incomes than others in America, but the wealth gap dwarves the income gap.

Even after adjusting for income, blacks save far less So the real question is - why don't black people save money? And the answer must be that, on average, they are less oriented toward the future than others. They would rather spend their money now. This might be conected to the fact that their ancestors did not leave warm mother Africa tens of thousands of years ago and begin facing cold winters. There was never a compelling need to stockpile food or otherwise plan ahead for survival. So the traits that enable us to do this were never strongly selected for among those who remained in Africa.
No I think it is because us whites got free housing after ww2. You see after WW2, most whites who were in the war on return in the 1950s had special low mortgage financing backed by the government. this was not extended to blacks. And this is why I say most whites have some kind of inheritence. Prior to this, there was probably more or equal amount of poor whites as poor blacks per capita, because all the immigrants from Italy and Poland were even poorer than the blacks back then. You see in those days, to buy property you needed to have all the money up front, to build a house you either built it yourself in piecemeal for years or saved up until you were 50 and tried to buy it but the wages were too low, and everything cost too much. But then in the 50s when they gave vets the money and started building all the houses away to whites it let them build wealth easy. Because you see if I am a mid income white, I get a free house from daddy in a good neighbourhood and I get to save my money. If I am a high income black, I have to buy my house, start from scratch and you aren't saving anything with mortgage payments. To be a high income person of any race you have actually be fairly smart. So its not like high income blacks don't know how to create wealth, they just started off with less than whites. If I am a middle class white, maybe that $25,000 in 1949 house is now worth 500,000 in 2013. So i get free wealth. If you are a high earning black, how much you going to have to save to get 500k? Say you earn 80k a year. With the high local, state and municipal tax rates? Probably your whole life. So I can spend all my money on coke for 10 years then get my act together and still be richer than 95% of blacks, even if they earn 100k a year. Because with the 45% taxes they'll pay if they live in somewhere like nyc or chicago.

The irony is those high tax rates help keep hard working blacks who buck the trend down and us middle class white with lots of inherited wealth on top.

It is why I say that the democrats are the enemies of the black people, they want to make them dependent on big government and use the government to keep them down.

And just so you know africa has rainy and dry seasons they do stockpile food there. In the dry season it is like winter and they have to stock pile food for when crops fail.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:50 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
I think someone touched on it earlier..its about religion more than race.

That's why I think many Asians succeed ,in that they don't believe when you die that you will be rewarded,whereas Christianity does.

They live for the here and now.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:21 AM

362 posts, read 794,596 times
So American Jews, Africans, Carribeans, Hindu Indians don't believe in god but north asians from china and korea don't but cambodians, Laotians and hmong who have lower education than black americans do?
Indian American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-24-2013, 05:33 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Success3 View Post
I'm curious because I travel a lot for my job and most of the locations I visit blacks are living in the "rough" neighborhoods. I know it's not only blacks, but for some reason it seems many people don't know. Is it due to education or just a lack of opportunity?
I think it is a mistake to look at wealth disparities today without recent historical and more long term historical contexts.

Wealth is very hard to obtain. For most of human history and still most people are extremely poor in this world.

Now you take a nation like America and there is a lot of ignorance about wealth generation and creation. Until very recently the vast majority of Americans were very poor and had little wealth.

The post WW2 years which involved huge government interventions enabled the creation of more shared prosperity.

Black people were denied participation in those huge government interventions.

An excellent book that goes over this is titled Black Wealth / White Wealth: A New Perspective on Racial Inequality

Black Wealth / White Wealth: A New Perspective on Racial Inequality: Melvin Oliver, Thomas Shapiro: 9780415951678: Amazon.com: Books

An excerpt from the book.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I am a lower middle class white guy that didn't inherit a dime because my family did not have a clue about money. I was lucky and obtained a good education and have been steadily employed, except for a few years when I tried my own business, ever since. Now I am about to retire and with that backing I may try my own business again but I am more likely to just goof off until I get bored. I plan on leaving whatever estate is left to a couple of friends.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Why African Americans typically have no wealth?

It's an interesting question. Blacks have lower incomes than others in America, but the wealth gap dwarves the income gap.

Even after adjusting for income, blacks save far less So the real question is - why don't black people save money? And the answer must be that, on average, they are less oriented toward the future than others. They would rather spend their money now. This might be conected to the fact that their ancestors did not leave warm mother Africa tens of thousands of years ago and begin facing cold winters. There was never a compelling need to stockpile food or otherwise plan ahead for survival. So the traits that enable us to do this were never strongly selected for among those who remained in Africa.

Im assuming you dont realize how the growing season works in many parts of West Africa ? just because it is hot/warm most of the year doesnt mean their isnt a growing season and a drought season.

anyways, readjusting for income is not the same as readjusting for cost of living.

readjusting for income just means you kept the same percentages, but by making less money, it may also affect how much you can save, especially if cost of living is more in a lower income area.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:11 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
There are many well to do black families. They have had wealth for some time.. They have black debutante balls and all the pomp and circumstance that goes along with wealth. In high school one of the wealthiest families in my school was a black family that lived in a large home in the best part of the area.

Some wealthy black communities.
http://www.africanamericandigest.com...mmunities.html

Old 06-24-2013, 06:01 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
It's actually simple, in this case. Coates has years of research, delving into studies, well-sourced books, and his own journalism.

You have...one-liners.

Advantage, Coates.
He just spews what guilt wracked white liberals want to hear.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:04 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
There are many well to do black families. They have had wealth for some time.. They have black debutante balls and all the pomp and circumstance that goes along with wealth. In high school one of the wealthiest families in my school was a black family that lived in a large home in the best part of the area.

Some wealthy black communities.
Affluent African American Communities | AfricanAmericanDigest.com
Yeah and the schools in Mitchellville, Ft Washington and Friendly are all crap. The foreclosure crisis hit Mitchellville hard don't confuse income with wealth. Even blacks making over $100K have less wealth on average and are less likely to be invested in stocks than their white 100K+ peers.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:11 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Low IQ.

Stupid people have a tougher time of it be they in America or Africa.
Man, as a black guy this stings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies