Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Edward Snowden a heor or traitor?
Hero 87 54.72%
Traitor 48 30.19%
I refuse to say due to the risk of NSA spying on me 15 9.43%
I don't care 9 5.66%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 09:05 PM

31,904 posts, read 14,886,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
Please explain..
To tell the world how the NSA operates is handing over our security, on a silver platter, to those that are salivating to know. It makes us vulnerable now when we had the upper hand. Honestly, what did you guys think NSA did. We have terrorists in this country. How do you suppose we track them down. Or maybe you think we shouldn't because you feel it's an invasion of privacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 09:07 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,407,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
To tell the world how the NSA operates is handing over our security, on a silver platter, to those that are salivating to know. It makes us vulnerable now when we had the upper hand. Honestly, what did you guys think NSA did. We have terrorists in this country. How do you suppose we track them down. Or maybe you think we shouldn't because you feel it's an invasion of privacy.

The NSA, is nothing but an extension of the CIA.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:12 PM

31,904 posts, read 14,886,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The NSA, is nothing but an extension of the CIA.
Yes, I know. What's your point?

Old 06-22-2013, 09:53 PM

3,932 posts, read 5,067,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
This hero of yours has put us all at risk now.
President Obama remarked in a recent speech that there isn't anyone on earth who can assure us 100% safety so we were already at risk even before Mr. Snowden exposed the NSA's PRISM program.

I'll tell you what really puts Americans at risk is the 1 trillion dollar deficit we run every year, and keep in mind that the Surveillance Industrial Complex (SIC) and the Military Industrial Complex (MIC) combined represent a staggering $700,000,000,000 slice of the total annual US federal budget.

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

Old 06-22-2013, 10:39 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,648,778 times
Traitor.

I have heard a lot of people saying the program is "illegal" or "unconstitutional."

That remains to be seen and is FAR from fact.

As an earlier poster said, a true "hero" would not run off to Hong Kong. He would stand up for what he believes in, state his case, and TRULY believe in this country and our system of justice. He wouldn't hide in a foreign country like a coward and refuse to make his case in court.

As far as I am concerned, he can stay in Hong Kong. Let's see how he likes the "freedom" afforded by the Chinese government.

F him.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:02 PM

233 posts, read 238,129 times
Question for some of you to think about. Were the founders of this nation heros or traitors because they went against the grain of government at the time (King George of Great Britain). The fact is the members of the Boston Tea Party and the American revolution were seen by many at that time as traitors. When government does evil they need to be called out on it. I have no doubts, that if some of you were adults in America in the time 1760-1800 you would have called the founders of this nation "traitors". Sad but so very true.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:21 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,648,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropes1981 View Post
Question for some of you to think about. Were the founders of this nation heros or traitors because they went against the grain of government at the time (King George of Great Britain). The fact is the members of the Boston Tea Party and the American revolution were seen by many at that time as traitors. When government does evil they need to be called out on it. I have no doubts, that if some of you were adults in America in the time 1760-1800 you would have called the founders of this nation "traitors". Sad but so very true.
Uhhh...

They stood up and fought.

They did not hop on the first boat to a foreign country that might be sympathetic to their cause.

They were willing to die for what they believed in. Snowden isn't even willing to go to court for what he believes in.

The founders could be called a lot of things, but "coward" isn't one of them. They risked their lives. Snowden is a coward who is hiding behind the protection of a foreign government.

The founders were willing to die for their cause. When you are on the winning side, that means you get monuments built in your honor.

If you just want to hedge your bets and aren't willing to die, you get remembered like Snowden.

There will be no monuments built to honor him.

In this country OR in China. Trust me, the Chinese don't trust him either.

What we have is someone with a big ego who believes he is the next Samuel Adams or John Hancock. People like you tell him he is.

Last edited by Knox Harrington; 06-23-2013 at 12:31 AM..

Old 06-23-2013, 01:03 AM

25,903 posts, read 24,615,873 times
We are in the 21st century. Unlike centuries ago one person like Snowden can't just go and shoot a few people and get away with it. Today, they make any threat to the system disappear just like that.

I don't think he has a big ego, he himself said that he is just a normal guy. There have been people throughout history who put their lives at risk for what they believed in. Why is it that today such people are called narcissists and what not? Maybe because what they do disturbs our daily routine or what we have been made to believe is patriotic or right, even if it isn't? Or maybe because we are not as courageous and don't want to admit that others are better than us in this respect?

Old 06-23-2013, 02:56 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,215,928 times
Default Is Edward Snowden a heor or traitor?

Weasel.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:39 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,837,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
We are in the 21st century. Unlike centuries ago one person like Snowden can't just go and shoot a few people and get away with it. Today, they make any threat to the system disappear just like that.

I don't think he has a big ego, he himself said that he is just a normal guy. There have been people throughout history who put their lives at risk for what they believed in. Why is it that today such people are called narcissists and what not? Maybe because what they do disturbs our daily routine or what we have been made to believe is patriotic or right, even if it isn't? Or maybe because we are not as courageous and don't want to admit that others are better than us in this respect?
Snowden is neither a hero nor a traitor. He's a limited hangout op
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies