Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 10:25 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Definitely a post from the progressive left...."anger issues" - "throwing a GIRL across a room" "Domestic VIOLENCE charges" "pushed a cop when he was DRUNK" - makes "ALL gun owners look bad: Do I smell liberal bias here? Just as I thought...Martin the innocent child who is black represents the progressive left....and Zimmerman the gun totting woman beater represents the conservative right........

........What a joke...both these guys are and were A-holes....The media and the politicians are going to milk this one...Neither Zimmerman or Martin can really speak for themselves...But the liberal media can...>So as I saw the term "anger issues" all I could think of was the left....The sweet left should have given Zimmerman one of those classic anger management courses and Martin would be alive to graduate and work as a social worker...?
Zimmerman did have domestic violence charges. He was charged with assaulting a law enforcement officer and resisting arrest with violence, even though the charges were ultimately dropped.

Whether or not Martin was aggressive doesn't matter because he's not on trial. He's dead.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:28 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You can't possibly believe that.

Clue: It's ALL that matters.
Yes I believe it, and that's the law in Florida. You are not allowed to use lethal force if you don't believe your life is in danger, or if a reasonable person would not believe their life was in danger. In other words, if someone just slapped you, and you felt threatened, that does not allow you to shoot them to death, because that is lethal force in response to a non-lethal action.

What if Zimmerman felt threatened simply by facing Martin? That doesn't give him a right to shoot him.

"The principle of Proportionality refers to the notion that the degree of force you may use in self-defense must be proportional to the degree of force with which you are threatened. Briefly, a non-deadly threat may only be countered with a non-deadly defense. A threat capable of causing death or grave bodily harm (e.g., a broken bone, blinding, a rape) may be met with deadly force.

Usually, the use of deadly force against an unarmed attacker is fatal to a claim of self defense. If you nevertheless wants to argue self defense you will have to convince the court that the unique circumstances warranted your use of deadly force despite the fact that the attacker was unarmed."

"776.012 Use of force in defense of person.—A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other’s imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if:
(1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony; or
(2) Under those circumstances permitted pursuant to s. 776.013."

There are some other Florida statutes that might apply in this case as well, such as this one:
Florida Statutes (Fla. Stat.)

Title XLVI. Crimes.

Chapter 776: JUSTIFIABLE USE OF FORCE

"776.041 Use of force by aggressor.—

The justification described in the preceding sections of this chapter is not available to a person who:

(1) Is attempting to commit, committing, or escaping after the commission of, a forcible felony; or

(2) Initially provokes the use of force against himself or herself, unless:

(a) Such force is so great that the person reasonably believes that he or she is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm and that he or she has exhausted every reasonable means to escape such danger other than the use of force which is likely to cause death or great bodily harm to the assailant; or

(b) In good faith, the person withdraws from physical contact with the assailant and indicates clearly to the assailant that he or she desires to withdraw and terminate the use of force, but the assailant continues or resumes the use of force."

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/.../0776.012.html

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/06...-self-defense/

Last edited by ellemint; 06-23-2013 at 10:45 PM..

Old 06-23-2013, 10:43 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times
Tomorrow will be an interesting day. Isn't this trial to be televised?

Most of us posting here know a lot of the facts (well, there was one that was kinda foggy about streets) and I'm sure that there are a lot of people around the country have followed this case closely. And all of us will be following every step of the trial.

Regardless of the outcome of the trial though, Zimmerman is a dead man walking. He can not and will not escape his fate.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:47 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,035,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You can't possibly believe that.

Clue: It's ALL that matters.

It's what YOU think that doesn't matter.
LOL as if your blathering mattered.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:15 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wytrvn View Post
This!

Old 06-23-2013, 11:24 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wytrvn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
This!
For all of you bickering back and forth the last 12 months.

The courts will decide starting today.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:31 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No. My argument is that 1 person was the aggressor from the start. A person with anger issues. TM may have been. A witness says otherwise. A weak witness I agree. But them GZ is a weak witness at best. I mean he is the one who killed a man.
I never claimed it was murder or that GZ is absolutely guilty. I am saying just because the law says its legal to follow someone doesn't make it right.
I would be annoyed if someone did it to me and I might confront it as well. Would GZ have even bothered me? I doubt it.
Some people are calling GZ a hero for his actions. Some make him out to be a saint.
He is none of these things
The hero in this killing is Trayvon Martin. He could have run to safety at his father's girlfriend's house, but he didn't. Why ? Beause the girlfriend's son was there and tm did not want to lead a crazy man back to another defenseless child. Praise be to the child.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:47 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times
At least we can all agree Zimmerman should be acquitted.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:52 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
At least we can all agree Zimmerman should be acquitted.
Only the delusional, deranged and racist would come to that conclusion.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:52 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Even if Trayvon did attack Zimmerman, it wouldn't have been for no reason.

According to Trayvon's girlfriend, what she heard on the phone was not Trayvon speaking to Zimmerman first, and asking "Do you have a problem?"

She said she heard some "old man yelling 'what are you doing around here?" at Trayvon. Trayvon wasn't following Zimmerman.
You can't even get phonefriend's story straight. According to her, the 1st words were spoken by tm --- 'Why you following me for ?'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies