Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever said the N-Word in your lifetime?
Yes 51 68.92%
No 23 31.08%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 12:27 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The dreaded "n-word" is simply the first word the real world thought police have removed from common use.

The idea is that if the word is disposed of, the thoughts it represents will also go away.

This was the reason the inner party in the George Orwell's novel, "1984", was continually removing words from daily use.

The idea was to limit thought through the elimination of words.

To me the word simply means a fundamentally ignorant individual, and I see no difference between a white person saying it and a black person saying hillbilly or redneck.
By thought police you mean a 6'2 250 lb Black dude?

No wonder you are afraid to use it in public.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-22-2013 at 04:07 AM..

Old 06-22-2013, 12:28 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
The first part I believe, the second part, not so much
That's unfortunate you feel that way....for me.

because tonight I will be getting 7:59:59 of sleep instead of a full 8 hours...

better yet...maybe I'll sleep in

Old 06-22-2013, 12:28 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Some people will use bad words when angry to lash out. Some use them to show their ignorance and stupidity.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:30 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
By thought police you mean a 6'2 250 lb Black dude?

No wonder you are afraid to use it in public.
who would be scared of a fat guy?

Old 06-22-2013, 12:38 AM

153 posts, read 156,413 times
Do people really not understand the context of a white person using the "n" word verses a black person? When a white person uses it it comes from a place of derogation and dehumanization (weather you *mean* it that way or not, it historically does and you can not remove that history by using it)..when a black person uses it it comes from a context of taking ownership of that word back from the white community and by extension, ownership of their own identity.

It is a huge difference. I'm not saying anyone *should* use that word but you can not ignore that fact that white privilege has existed and DOES exist within our society there are certain words that a white person, particularly has no place of owning.

As for derogatory names for a white person..it also comes to the same point. Within this country (and globally, pretty much) the white man has never been enslaved by a minority and therefore using those terms does not have a connotation of exerting their power or control over us a community.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 314guy View Post
Do people really not understand the context of a white person using the "n" word verses a black person? When a white person uses it it comes from a place of derogation and dehumanization (weather you *mean* it that way or not, it historically does and you can not remove that history by using it)..when a black person uses it it comes from a context of taking ownership of that word back from the white community and by extension, ownership of their own identity.

It is a huge difference. I'm not saying anyone *should* use that word but you can not ignore that fact that white privilege has existed and DOES exist within our society there are certain words that a white person, particularly has no place of owning.

As for derogatory names for a white person..it also comes to the same point. Within this country (and globally, pretty much) the white man has never been enslaved by a minority and therefore using those terms does not have a connotation of exerting their power or control over us a community.
Yeah sort of like when a black person calls a white cracker. Oh wait thats allowed.
You cant have it both ways. Dont like being called the N word then dont throw out racist slurs at others.
You lost the moral high ground the second you resort to the same behavior. More to the point blaming people today for the actions of people 150 years ago?? What is the time line because in history whites were slaves at some point to someone else.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:44 AM

Did you miss my last paragraph or chose to ignore it??

Old 06-22-2013, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 314guy View Post
Did you miss my last paragraph or chose to ignore it??
I read and disagree with you.
If you want the moral high ground you can not resort to using slanderous or racially charged words to express yourself. The minute you do you become what you hate.
If a man rapes a woman. He is an evil and vile person. If that woman's husband in turn retaliates by raping the first mans daughter is he no less vile and evil?
I mean feel free to justify it all you like. This is america and you are allowed. I simply dont agree with you.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:52 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,351,634 times
Mark Twain books....literature classes....in my head....in private....never to anyone living in public though.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:53 AM

This is about history not a moral high ground. There is no derogatory word in existence that was used as the n-word was and is and followed with ACTION by those using it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies