Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 09:50 PM

31,949 posts, read 14,950,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Actually you don't know what you're talking about. Bipolar Disorder was a term that came out several years ago and replaced the term Manic Depression, it sounds less scary.

They are in fact one and the same condition.
Actually I know exactly what I'm talking about. I don't think you do though. Once again, manic depression does not have the highs that bi polar does. They are 2 completely different diagnoses. And bi polar has been around a lot longer than several years

Old 06-22-2013, 09:50 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,640,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Bipolar and certain conditions can get you automatically qualified.

Regular depression won't.
She says she's bi-polar. She found a doctor to tell her that, so that's what she became.

Pathetic.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:55 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,922,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Social Security and SSDI are suspended during prison terms of 30+ days.
County jail doesn't count

Old 06-22-2013, 10:08 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,739,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I wasn't talking about SSA. You were talking about people with bi polar disorder who would just kill themselves anyway. I was disputing that because you really don't know what you're talking about. Bi polar has extreme highs and lows, manic depression only has lows. Bi polar people have no interest in killing themselves though. And bi polar 2 is the hardest to diagnose because it's confused with manic depression. They are treated differently though. So if your an expert in this area then you would know all of this.
Well, aren't you the hypocrite. I defended you on what you rightly pointed out that you weren't wrong about. Then, you read two lines from me and you can not only judge what I know from that but also do it twice?

I'd love to discuss the merits of what you are saying because I am here to exchange ideas. But I don't chat with people that are judgmental, name callers or generally arrogant. Sorry, I meant ignorant. You don't deserve my reply based on the facts of your post.

First, you weren't even talking about the SSA? Did you suddenly have a lapse and woke up thinking this was a general psych thread?

Madam, you not diddly. When warned of my awesome knowledge on the subject you could have ran to billions of websites about mental illness but you chose to shoot from the hip. And, even though you were the usurper AND you were specifically asked to provide links, you didn't.

Allow me to shoot from the hip. After I do I will go look up what I'm talking about and provide links which you can spend all the time you want disproving but not until you have a chance to do some web searching.

Let's take them in order:

1) First, let me break it to you. There is no such medical diagnosis called "manic depression". I could play games and volley back and forth but I haven't had my popcorn.

2) "Manic depression" means mania + depression or a rotation between the axis of both. Think of the planet with two poles. One poll is positive (mania) and the other side is negative (depression). Depression most of us know and mania is a euphoria that has real world dangers because inhibitions tend to diminish in manic states. People over spend, get involved with risky behavior, and often think and feel as if they are a super hero (not literally). So, if the North pole was depression and the South pole was mania, we've got our planet.

3) Medical science many, many years ago liked the pole analogy. The problem with manic depression is you don't know when it's going to switch. This is very similar to the idea that the magnetic poles of the Earth will reverse eventually.

4). Poles. Two poles. Two = bi. See a trend forming? Bi-polar.

5) The symptoms of bi-polar disease are mania + depression. The mania is often treated with lithium while the depression is often treated with a bunch of different choices.

6) Bi-polar = Manic depression. They are the same thing except one doesn't play as well with Jimi Hendrix. It was changed because it's a more accurate description of what the patient goes though. "Manic depression" has the two elements but if you look at it, it appears to be an adjective describing depression. As in Manic is a type of depression. That isn't true. They are two different things that are polar opposite of each other.

7) You said "manic depression only has lows". This isn't true and has never been true regardless of the name. And it makes no sense to have "depression" and then "manic depression" if both were only lows.

8) "Bi polar people have no interest in killing themselves though" also not true. The suicide ideation can be higher for those suffering from the disorder because they feel they cannot take the cycling between the poles. Or, when they are not depressed they feel they'd rather die than be depressed and then there's the classic wanting to die because you are depressed. 25% to 50% of bi-polar patients will attempt to kill themselves more than once. Suicide ideation is a common, persistent condition for these individuals and is one reason it is easier for them to get approved for SSDI.

9) "bi polar 2 is the hardest to diagnose because it's confused with manic depression" - Not accurate since bi polar IS manic depression and bi polar 2 cannot be confused with itself. The difference between BP I and BP II is the length of episodes. There is no difference in the diagnoses difficulty because it's simply a math formula at that point and the criteria for both are contained in the Diagnostics and Statistical Manual for Mental Health.

10) "They are treated differently though" - untrue. For the most part the same medications are used to treat both forms.

11) "So if your an expert in this area then you would know all of this" - and you didn't have to make it personal. Just think how different this conversation and our relationship would have been if you would have just said what you thought and asked me for a clarification? Or God forbid a link.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
County jail doesn't count
Yes it does. The only difference is what you are being held for. The payments won't stop until you're convicted. I imagine in some jurisdictions a conviction means an instant transfer to a state facility and maybe that's what you are talking about. But in some places you can spend a year serving time after conviction. In those cases the payments would stop 30 days after conviction.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If you're going to argue denying them benefits, don't forget to add those who are on disability due to a sugar addiction, as many more people are on disability due to diabetes than drug addiction. There are also more people on disability due to nicotine and alcohol than drugs.
Well the OP was looking for stats so how about you show us those?

I'm not going to argue denying anyone benefits. And I'm not going to clog this thread with discussion about sugar being a cause of diabetes. Your argument fails though because you say people are on disability due to a sugar addiction when no one on the planet is. $100 to your favorite charity when you show me that listed as a disease on the SSA.

I don't know how many people are on SSDI that have diabetes but I doubt it's as much as what's in your head for the simple reason having a disability is not what gets you SSDI.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Yes it does. The only difference is what you are being held for. The payments won't stop until you're convicted. I imagine in some jurisdictions a conviction means an instant transfer to a state facility and maybe that's what you are talking about. But in some places you can spend a year serving time after conviction. In those cases the payments would stop 30 days after conviction.
I sure hope you're right.. It makes me ill.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
This is correct. I knew someone when I still lived in CA who was collecting SSDI for being agoraphobic, she was in her mid 30s and said it prevented her from going to work.

She had no problem driving her car and going to stores and such, but couldn't go to a job.

Also managed to sit on an airplane from LAX to fly to Europe and visit several countries for over a month.

But couldn't sit at a desk in an office. Go figure.
Well if I knew of that I'd try to stop it. But I'm curious where she got the funds to travel like that. If someone can live large then they should consider not using SSDI anyway but rich people don't surrender their SS checks at age 70 either.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I sure hope you're right.. It makes me ill.
I mean it's possible the county just is being lazy and not reporting but I assume they get some funding to feed inmates and have to turn over their SSN. That doesn't mean some wise ass kid isn't bragging about living it large in jail when really he's staying under the covers.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I mean it's possible the county just is being lazy and not reporting but I assume they get some funding to feed inmates and have to turn over their SSN. That doesn't mean some wise ass kid isn't bragging about living it large in jail when really he's staying under the covers.
He's a 40 year old kid... Has been in and out of jail countless times.. Is a real pain in the butt... I don't think when you become a drug addict of your own accord you shouldn't be able to draw it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.