Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: how offended are you by the N word
It doesn't offend me at all 55 27.64%
It only offends me when used in a racist manner 33 16.58%
It offends me........period 51 25.63%
it's the worst word in the English laungauge 4 2.01%
people are too politically correct in this country........give it a rest 56 28.14%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:28 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

And for those who think that word is no big, answer this question for me: Why would you want to use that word? And why would anyone want to use that word knowing how offensive it is?
Because many people are jerks by nature. There is no need for that word & they know it but because they don't give a crap about others, they'll use it just to prove a point. The point being they are disrespectful jerks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 11:31 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Because many people are jerks by nature. There is no need for that word & they know it but because they don't give a crap about others, they'll use it just to prove a point. The point being they are disrespectful jerks.
I look at it like this. I'm Black, and I am not going to go and call a White person some racial slur, or anyone of any other ethnicity a slur. I see it as wrong, demeaning, and cruel. I feel like if more people were to think in that manner, perhaps more problems could be solved.

Some people seem to get a kick out of hurting people, out of doing jerk-like things.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:43 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,708 times
I do not have racist friends nor do I have friends that use words to degrade anyone
they are not the type of people I care to hang around
but frankly just yammering on and on about race has become tiresome
why must anyone constantly focus on race??
I lived through the 60's now that was a hard time
I was just a kid but I knew it was wrong how black folks were treated
today I have zero respect for race baiters of any color
but I have more important thing to think about than people's bad manners
I think that word is bad no matter who uses it
put you can not fling it all over the place then scream with some ass hole uses it

Old 06-24-2013, 01:42 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
I was under the impression that the worst word in the English language began with an F and rhymed with truck.

Thus, one of the poll options is not useful.
This made me laugh!

Actually, it's a very versatile word...

http://justin.justnet.com.au/rudestu...word-****.html

We had a beautiful black and gold poster with all these definitions and my little son would often pause to read them. (I'm sure he was looking for the right meaning. )

I'm not offended by any words. I live to write and words are the food for my soul. I would no more dismiss one word than I would one bite of dark chocolate.

Green_Mariner: I would never use a word to hurt someone - unless I mean to hurt them.
I use the generic "f-ing a-hole" for idiots of all stripes.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:46 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The word "en" is allowed in Scrabble.

No one seems offended when Harrier uses it on a triple word score play.

If we are discussing another particular word, yes that is highly offensive, and ought not be used - period.

Harrier would have to question the sanity of anyone who seriously felt otherwise.

Dude, your third person is killin' me

Old 06-24-2013, 01:47 PM

431 posts, read 474,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I look at it like this. I'm Black, and I am not going to go and call a White person some racial slur, or anyone of any other ethnicity a slur. I see it as wrong, demeaning, and cruel. I feel like if more people were to think in that manner, perhaps more problems could be solved.

Some people seem to get a kick out of hurting people, out of doing jerk-like things.
The problem here is the left looney press make it a major news story when it really isnt its just a word
I hear white folks called cracker //white honky more than i hear black folks called the n word its just as insulting and meant to be and nobody in the press says anything about it ,

Who made the media god to decide which words are insulting and which are not ?.

Blacks are mostly *especially low class getto kids * the ones who use words to insult . next time you go past the getto listen and hear how many jews are called KITES mexicans are called WETBACKS . and whites are called HONKES .

then come back here and demand those words should be banned .
lets have some consistancy here

Old 06-24-2013, 01:51 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA151 View Post
The problem here is the left looney press make it a major news story when it really isnt its just a word
I hear white folks called cracker //white honky more than i hear black folks called the n word its just as insulting and meant to be and nobody in the press says anything about it ,

Who made the media god to decide which words are insulting and which are not ?.

Blacks are mostly *especially low class getto kids * the ones who use words to insult . next time you go past the getto listen and hear how many jews are called KITES mexicans are called WETBACKS . and whites are called HONKES .

then come back here and demand those words should be banned .
lets have some consistancy here
I've heard all of those words before, and not in the ghetto either. I've heard them in the suburbs. I've heard these words used behind people's backs. Like I said, I wouldn't call anyone those words. You know my position.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:59 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
I do not have racist friends nor do I have friends that use words to degrade anyone
they are not the type of people I care to hang around
but frankly just yammering on and on about race has become tiresome
why must anyone constantly focus on race??
I lived through the 60's now that was a hard time
I was just a kid but I knew it was wrong how black folks were treated
today I have zero respect for race baiters of any color
but I have more important thing to think about than people's bad manners
I think that word is bad no matter who uses it
put you can not fling it all over the place then scream with some ass hole uses it
Exactly right. The young generations have no clue what true racism is, and how utterly evil it is. The 50s/60s was a boiling point between REAL racists (Southern Politicians (especially Dems), Southern Whites, White business owners..etc.) and civil rights activists and marchers. The entire country came together in protests during those marches. I lived through the Watts riots as a child, and then again during the Rodney King riots as a young adult. None of it was productive and people died needlessly.

My ears bleed whenever I hear the vulgar use of such words. There's no good way to use them, and even if you're black it's self-denigrating.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:02 PM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
I think words are only offensive if we allow them to be. The word in question did not start out as a derogatory racial term. Somewhere along the way people were brainwashed into associating a descriptive term with something bad. Although its a term I don't use because I know it does offend others and there are definitely alternative descriptive terms, I voted too politically correct. I think it has gotten way out of hand.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:05 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
I don't like that word, I don't use it, and I lose respect for people who use it in a context other than quoting someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies