Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 10:35 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

So much for the pursuit of happiness.....

USA not one of 10 happiest countries in world

The residents of Switzerland are the most satisfied with their lives, according to the latest Better Life Index report, released this week by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). Switzerland has moved up to the top spot, bumping Denmark to fifth. For the third year, the United States failed to make the top 10, while countries like Canada, Mexico and all the Scandinavian nations did.

(Mexico????? you'd have to wonder why so many are fleeing there to come here)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 07:25 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
One of the saddest suicides was a American born Chinese writer and scholar named Iris Chiang who wrote two very good books, "The Flight of the Silkworm" A biography about Qian Hsueshen (The father of the Chinese missle and space program), Qian lived long enough to see his dream come to be when a Long March 2F rocket (he designed the first of the Long March boosters) put China's first astronaut in orbit in 2005. Qian learned his trade at CalTech under von Karman , helped to found the Jet Propulsion Lab and was on the faculty at MIT when his loyalty was questioned and he was deported to China when he lost his citizenship. Qian's specialty was rocket guidance systems and celestial navigation. One of the most boneheaded decisions by the US Government in the 1950s. Her other book was a detailed study and account of the Rape of Nanjing by the Japanese. Her work hit quite a nerve in Japan which tried to supress her books publication. She was sujected to character assination and criticism from which she never recovered.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:21 PM

563 posts, read 807,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So much for the pursuit of happiness.....

The residents of Switzerland are the most satisfied with their lives, according to the latest Better Life Index report, released this week by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). Switzerland has moved up to the top spot, bumping Denmark to fifth. For the third year, the United States failed to make the top 10, while countries like Canada, Mexico and all the Scandinavian nations did.

(Mexico????? you'd have to wonder why so many are fleeing there to come here)
The unhappy ones are already here.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:54 PM

5 posts, read 8,956 times
asian women ususally have very low self-esteem due to the east asian culture. That is why I never dated asian girls before

Old 06-24-2013, 08:43 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 北京青年 View Post
asian women ususally have very low self-esteem due to the east asian culture. That is why I never dated asian girls before

You have obviously had no real contact with Chinese, Korean or Japanese people and I will will also add Filipinos. They do not lack self estime particularly Chinese and do a very good job keeping their emotions in check. They are polite to an extreme as a Japanese character in the movie Gung-Ho put it "Even when you get up in the morning and try to put your pants on you will find someone else already in them". When they want to do something they are relentless in geting what they want and that goes doubly for the women. Do you know what a Tiger Mom is ? Now it may disturb you but they all look down on Americans and wonder why an ignorant, lazy self indulgent people do so well and they have set a goal to change that.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:09 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
2007, Zhou, Mengyao (May)
Home - May Mengyao Zhou
A PhD student at Stanford. Her body was found in a car trunk and there were multiple injures on her head and arms.
The police said she committed suicide and closed the case.

2011, Rebecca Zahau
Death of Rebecca Zahau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
She died in her billionaire boy friend's mansion.
Again the police said she killed herself although her hands and legs were tied up.

2013 Elisa Lam
Her naked body was found in the water tank of a hotel in LA.
Police just announced she jumped in the tank and closed the lid by herself. huh?!
I remember reading the last case in the news a few months ago.

And the other two cases sound equally crazy.

WTH is going on in Cali?

May Zhou looked like an attractive young woman. My condolences to her family and friends.

Last edited by Supine; 06-24-2013 at 09:18 PM..

Old 06-24-2013, 09:15 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
Quote:
The three cases here, however, are probably due to something else.
As one Leroy Jethero Gibbs would say: "Ya think?"

IMO it's pretty obvious that these 3 women were murdered. I am only familiar with the Zahau case from Websleuths and I am astonished that it is still considered a suicide. I admit this is the first I have heard of the other cases but going by the descriptions it sounds an awful lot like they were victims of a homicide. People usually don't cut themselves and then lock themselves in a car trunk ...

Old 06-24-2013, 09:25 PM

78,404 posts, read 60,579,949 times
The police screw up cases all the time. Unless you have serious details including their text records etc. then what am I to go on?

Old 06-26-2013, 01:03 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,983 times
Quote:
2007, Zhou, Mengyao (May)
Home - May Mengyao Zhou
A PhD student at Stanford. Her body was found in a car trunk and there were multiple injures on her head and arms.
The police said she committed suicide and closed the case.

2011, Rebecca Zahau
Death of Rebecca Zahau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
She died in her billionaire boy friend's mansion.
Again the police said she killed herself although her hands and legs were tied up.

2013 Elisa Lam
Her naked body was found in the water tank of a hotel in LA.
Police just announced she jumped in the tank and closed the lid by herself. huh?!
I have to tell you, this post sent me on a mission. After I read about Elisa Lam, and saw that elevator video...that is some effed up stuff. I haven't posted on CD only because I have spent the last 2 days on the Internet absorbing all the available details surrounding this case. It was spooky at first, but now I think she was murdered. Have you been tracking this story? Maybe we can trade info and theories.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
These cases sound like murder to me. I wonder why the DA has not ordered the police to investigate. Maybe killing oriental women is just not that big a deal out there unlike killing a white woman and her candy man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies