U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2007, 01:40 PM

333 posts, read 348,375 times

Advertisements

I voted Bush in '04, but I'm a lot smarter today than I was just 3 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I have sympathy for people who are still so angry and bitter over the election that they can't move on. Come on folks, when does the Bush bashing stop?
It won't stop until Bush is stopped. He is a disgrace to America.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:43 PM

788 posts, read 1,896,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I remember in 2003 some people saying they voted for him bcs ...."at least you know what you are getting"...

They are eating a huge dose of humble pie today.
What a FANTASTIC reason to vote for someone. Typical lack of substance or thought at the polls. Might as well vote for the best dressed. Oh wait, many people already do.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver203 View Post

If only this fact had been clear 8 years ago. He who puts on the best show wins these days.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:50 PM

12,411 posts, read 16,408,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Well, if you've never voted for President, and have ignored ALL candidates, then you really have no valid complaints, since you've done nothing to try to change it. Apathy is just as bad as voting for the lesser of two evils, IMO.
One of the major problems, as I see it, is that the system has been rigged to make it stay essentially a two party system. So as long as there is money from the same big boys going to the two parties, 'they' are in control.

If we really expect people to vote, we need more than the two parties, and we must hear from everyone, not just the frontrunners. We need the media, in order to get a license to broadcast on the public airwaves, to give free time, and a lot of it, to candidates.

Then, as school assignments, have high school students pick apart the speeches of candidates, seperate inference from what these people are actually saying, figure out the 'audience' that various statements are trying to win over, who the base is. Get kids interested in the system: this is living history.

With the reach of the media these days, I can't see the need for candidates to run all over the country giving talks, either.

We have to equalize the playing field by cutting off the dollars and dealing with ideas and the complexity of issues instead of spin.

Last edited by goldengrain; 11-09-2007 at 08:27 PM..

Old 11-09-2007, 07:51 PM

2,611 posts, read 1,948,787 times
Quote:

I so agree!!
I do believe though that he accomplished what he wanted to and that was to divide our people(red states-blue states).
It no longer matters if you are republican or democrat.
We are all citizens of this country and it's time to take our country back.
ALL of the presidental canidates have an agenda, I no longer believe one party is better or worse than another.
Maybe it's just time to get rid of them all and have an independant political party FOR all us in the middle class.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:02 PM

40 posts, read 111,866 times
*if they did vote for bush...

Old 11-09-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I don’t have any sympathy for those who support or voted for Georgie. There hasn’t been any one president who has caused more problems for our country and the world. His actions and the direction of his administration will take decades to recover from if ever. I feel the Republican party has destroyed the American way of life and our freedoms. I loathe Georgie Bu$h and those who supported his “actions”. Why would I care about their depressed state of mind? I care about the millions of people that have been harmed by this administration.
I do not feel animousity for Republicans, in general. Most of these people, like us, want the best for our nation.

King George won by getting the fundies to vote. Religion mixed with politics in this last election pushed by some 'religious' leaders who really are in religion to further a political agenda. The fundies trusted them. Quote a few bible verses, and some are yours for life, it would seem. These are people who are newly registered and not used to following the political 'game'. They believed his born again bs story, and found out that he is just a petty crook, a schill for corporations, and murderer of innocents. It is probably the worst fiasco in American history.

These are the people who did not want to pull the plug on that Terry Schievo, for the hope that some miracle would happen and restore her to life.
Most did not know that the majority of her brain had been eaten away.

But some horrible talk shows on tv showed the picture that made it appear that her eyes were tracking something and some doofus nurse (nurses can be mad, too, you know) made some sort of lying or deluded testimony and they were lead to believe that this woman was just on the brink of conscousness, when she was, by her actual brain, dead!

Innocent dupes vote for the likes of Bush - people who do not explore both sides of the media and all opinions before voicing an opinion. Today, you almost have to dedicate hours of each day to tune in to various programs to expose yourself to both sides of any story. Who has that time? On top of that, perhaps people have other interests in their lives?

No, I truly understand why this mistake/mental case became President. I think an equal time amendment (actually not wanted by many liberal talk show hosts as well as conservatives) might at least open the door for all of us to differing opinions, rather than hearing only one side of the spin.

I think it is a hideous injustice to the public that a talk show host is allowed to hang up on a caller who asks embarrasing questions. The equal time amendment will actually force more of these one-song losers to engage some of the opposition and do some active listening and thought for a change. They've all been coasting for too long.

Last edited by goldengrain; 11-09-2007 at 08:33 PM..

Old 11-09-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I never want to see corporations or religion inside the White House again! Our government, freedoms, and liberties are always in jeopardy when this happens.
I am with you , but our government has morphed into 'Corporatism'. They own the government. A Congressperson cannot keep his job (get re-elected) unless he raises a horrendous amount of money for his upcoming campaign. The people who give him that money are corporations, mostly. So, he returns the favor by caving to their lobbyists.

Our media, also, is financed by corporations, so don't you believe that they may underplay some stories and overplay others because of that fact? Whoever pays the piper calls the tune.

Also, because they need to make money, and that is based on their ratings, they make their progamming entertaining instead of informative. If it cannot be told in a quick sound bite, it is dropped. No wonder most people vote on the basis of spin.

Last edited by goldengrain; 11-09-2007 at 08:35 PM..

Old 11-09-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:

It is dangerous that he has gathered more powers into the office of the Presidency and curtailed many freedoms of the people.

Presidential candidates often have a physical health exam, but they should probably have a mental one, as well.

Please don't forget that it is the Congress gave him the power to declare war. It was they who passed Nafta before the public could be adequately appraised of the details - they who are refusing to curtail and ship back the illegals - they who are not inspecting food grown here or abroad. They are not repairing our infastructure. They are not aggressively exploring and refining alternate energy sources. They are allowing corporations to lay employees off and seek labor overseas, but still sell their products in the US without penalty.

There is something terribly wrong with our country. Those elected to protect citizens first are no longer doing so.

Last edited by goldengrain; 11-09-2007 at 08:37 PM..

Old 11-09-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
One of the major problems, as I see it, is that the system has been rigged to make it stay essentially a two party system. So as long as there is money from the same big boys going to the two parties, they are in control.

If we really expect people to vote, we need more than the two parties, and we must hear from everyone, not just the frontrunners. We need the media, in order to get a license to broadcast on the public airwaves, to give free time, and a lot of it, to candidates.

Then, as school assignments, have high school students pick apart the speeches of candidates, seperate inference from what these people are actually saying, figure out the 'audience' that various statements are trying to win over, who the base is. Get kids interested in the system: this is living history.

With the reach of the media these days, I can't see the need for candidates to run all over the country giving talks, either.

We have to equalize the playing field by cutting off the dollars and dealing with ideas and the complexity of thought.
Libertarians are stepping out a bit more, but I think that a lot of people see libs as nuts with guns.

Personally, I voted for Nader in 2000 instead of Bush or Clinton. I'm neither Dem nor Rep. I am independent, but I did register as a green party member so that I could vote for Nader, because he made the most sense to me in 2000. To me, he seemed to be the biggest advocate for the little people, which makes sense since he's a consumer advocate by profession.

Did I throw away my vote? I don't think so. I voted my conscience. I didn't want either Bush or Clinton in office, so voting for Nader wasn't going to help one or the other, in my case. Technically, Nader joined the Green Party because he needed to be affiliated with a party to run and have any chance at success. I wish a few more people had voted for him actually, because then maybe the Green Party could be officially recognized on the ballot as a party, just to have another option.

Anyway, yes, I agree that the 2 party system limits us. How can there be just 2 political parties when there are more than 2 worldviews in this country? Makes no sense.

PS: I was watching C-Span a few weeks ago (never thought I'd actually enjoy watching that channel), specifically debates in Congress regarding the water projects bill, and the SCHIP program renewal and budget, both of which Bush had already decided to veto. I noticed that the Senate was very empty during the debate. At one point, a senator was called and the speaker said something like: "oh, they're out campaigning right now). I think that congresspeople should attend sessions, and if they have some urgent matter regarding their constituents, they could be in their office for a little while, but I really don't think it's right for them to campaign while Congress is in session. I agree that they should use the media more, instead of all the "meet and greets" they do to gather votes, but many are trying to look more personal, which is why they do that. I just think they should do that during breaks, not when Congress is in session.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies