U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 05:34 PM

19,539 posts, read 21,009,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I think it started when Ray-gun started funding and arming Ossama and training the Mullahs to fend off the Soviets.

I believe we may have had some foriegn policy advisors at the time who were consistant, regardless of the Presidency. The unelected government. While we are fighting about Dems and Reps, the unelected policy guys obviously work on, undeterred.
They sure seem to keep coming up with the same remedy for North Korea.

Bribe, bribe, bribe.

It reminds me of the guy who kept hitting himself in the head with a hammer, because when he paused, it felt so damn good.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:43 PM

788 posts, read 1,909,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
May I suggest that you could be making a big mistake by assuming that he cares? I think he is a type of sociopath. I think he cannot feel empathy for others, and the further away from wealth and power a person is, the less compassion he is due, in the 'bible according to Bush'.

He is not a philosophic thinker. He cares not to have a good place in history. He cares not for the freedoms this country stands for, for the citizens, for the people who have fought and died for the ideals of this country.

All that matters is furthering power, influence, and money. Dealing his friends a good hand so they will reciprocate when he comes knocking. They say he is loyal. Well, this is the sort of person he is loyal to. There is no conscience. Just gain or loss.

Life, for him, is one big financial statement with entries in the plus or minus side. There is no room for nuance or subtlety, shadings of grey, extenuating circumstances. You've probably worked with someone like this - who stopped at nothing to get ahead, pulled strings, brown nosed, sacrificed his underlings.

How do we prevent another mental case from assuming the position? How do we curtail the powers of the Presidency (end the War Powers Act) and perhaps have a President up for review every year or so where he has to defend his actions and show reason why he should not be impeached.

I mean that. It should be a priviledge for a person to be President and he/she should have to earn it while they are in office. The default should be to get rid of them. They should have to appear before the people and plead with us to be allowed to stay in office.

The kids are very, very, lucky that Laura has stayed there to rear them.
If he does actually care, then he is stupid. Either way, we don't need someone with either of those traits leading and being the spokesperson for our nation. The "trickle down" economics principle is evidence of bad policy. Believing that the guys with all the money are going to share is ignorant of human nature. Even those who do care about their employees hoard cash for a rainy day, both for the company and in CEOs bank accounts. Who does that benefit? Not the common man. Not the ones who actually produce the money in the first place. But I don't think Bush has ever known what it's like to be the common man, which may be another reason he's made the mistakes he has.

Maybe that's why many people tend to like candidates who have served in the military or have been blue collar at some point. But, in the end, it's those who had enough family money to go to an Ivy League school who have the funds to blast US citizens with propaganda.

Our leaders always have been elitists, though I would say that most of our Founders at least had good intentions toward all US citizens.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
this is in response to the last paragraph.
Informed Comment

enjoy
What a great timeline.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:51 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,282,963 times
Just watched Sicko....we are all doomed. Houseing bust, war, no money for college anymore, global warming...gas prices above $3 again. Here in Colorado all the Pine trees are dying. OMG what the h... is going on. Why did you fools vote for that monster. Today I read in USA Today that even Scott Mclellan says bush and Cheney are liars. Ive never had a situation in my life where I could not see it coming like this one. This was the most obvious NON CHOICE in my 40 years of life. Shame on you. Well, I have to stop now and put some ice on my neck....its injured but because I can not afford medical insurance anymore, I just have to endure pain all the time. My medical inusurance was 22 a week in 2000. Its now over 200 a week. My gas prices was 99 cents a gallon in 2000, now its 3.18. Couldnt afford to drive to the doctor even if I had insurance. For all you that voted for Bush, go to $&&^

Old 11-20-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Just watched Sicko....we are all doomed. Houseing bust, war, no money for college anymore, global warming...gas prices above $3 again. Here in Colorado all the Pine trees are dying. OMG what the h... is going on. Why did you fools vote for that monster. Today I read in USA Today that even Scott Mclellan says bush and Cheney are liars. Ive never had a situation in my life where I could not see it coming like this one. This was the most obvious NON CHOICE in my 40 years of life. Shame on you. Well, I have to stop now and put some ice on my neck....its injured but because I can not afford medical insurance anymore, I just have to endure pain all the time. My medical inusurance was 22 a week in 2000. Its now over 200 a week. My gas prices was 99 cents a gallon in 2000, now its 3.18. Couldnt afford to drive to the doctor even if I had insurance. For all you that voted for Bush, go to $&&^
I agree. I didn't see how bad it would be, but I did see worsening of our economy coming. Sorry you are so negatively affected by Bush's concept of producing a strong economy (waging war ) Unfortunately, I see it getting much worse, and the next pres will take a big chunk of the blame, despite having a horrible mess to clean up.

I was watching the Pentagon press conference today on C-span. Terrifying. The spokesperson was answering questions about the furloughs that are probably going to be imposed on many domestic military personnel because the military sent money to Iraq instead of focusing on our domestic military presence. Even though Bush has asked for large amounts of money to fund the war, troops in Iraq and Afghanistan use the same funds from the same bank account as domestic bases and military. Funds for the army and the marine corps are going to run out in February and April, just a few months away. Congress has already told the Pentagon that they will not approve more funding before the holiday recess. That means that if they happen to authorize more funding when they come back, there's a chance that our troops abroad will have enough resources to stay over there. However, if more funding is not approved, they will be left with only basic security personnel and food.

I can imagine that some pleading for our troops is going to happen on the part of Bush and the Pentagon. "don't leave them stranded", etc, hoping to strongarm Congress into approving more funding for foreign troops. However, whose fault is it that they're in this position in the first place? I don't entirely blame the Pentagon for depleting their budgets. They are told what to do, and then execute the plan. But, keeping troops over there for so long, wasting so much money on contractors, when our own economy at home is dying has created a disaster, and who pays for it in the end? We do, as well as the troops who have been overextended for a long time.

I don't advocate leaving our troops stranded. I can imagine that with only basic security over there, the situation could get pretty bloody. But, maybe Congress will use this situation as a wake up call and troops will have to pull out in just a few months. Maybe...

Also, what kind of domestic policy is it to close bases, and put military personnel on furlough? Who justifies weakening our domestic security to clean up someone else's mess? Why do our leaders advocate sacrificing our homeland to help another country that can't even help itself?

If they approve more funding, this is just going to get worse and worse. Our leaders say that progress is being made, and I agree that there are some positives to our presence over there (though how much of the negatives were our fault in the first place?!), but there are more troops coming home very jaded about our government and its policies, and there are more middle eastern countries, and in the rest of the world that hate us than before. How is that progress?

Bush has managed to destroy any power we once had. Bush has made us weak and impoverished. I am going to now stop sitting on my ass and write to my reps. Don't know if it will do any good, but it's a step toward action rather than complaining on here about it.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:44 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,565,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
This is so well said. I understand how you saw this coming so clearly, but the Reps are masters at spin and sometimes if you repeat the big lie often enough people will follow. Who has time to listen to all the news programs in order to dig up the actual facts? People are often motivated by spin.

Your neck - my husband actually got some magnets ('gauss' is the measurement of their strength - it helps if you can compare gauss ratings).
For people in the northern hemisphere, put the north side of the magnet against the affected area with a bandaid or neck band.

Over a short time it has helped my husband and boss to ease the pain of neck injuries. THey are handy to have around the house.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:03 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,862,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
I agree. I didn't see how bad it would be, but I did see worsening of our economy coming. Sorry you are so negatively affected by Bush's concept of producing a strong economy (waging war ) Unfortunately, I see it getting much worse, and the next pres will take a big chunk of the blame, despite having a horrible mess to clean up.

I was watching the Pentagon press conference today on C-span. Terrifying. The spokesperson was answering questions about the furloughs that are probably going to be imposed on many domestic military personnel because the military sent money to Iraq instead of focusing on our domestic military presence. Even though Bush has asked for large amounts of money to fund the war, troops in Iraq and Afghanistan use the same funds from the same bank account as domestic bases and military. Funds for the army and the marine corps are going to run out in February and April, just a few months away. Congress has already told the Pentagon that they will not approve more funding before the holiday recess. That means that if they happen to authorize more funding when they come back, there's a chance that our troops abroad will have enough resources to stay over there. However, if more funding is not approved, they will be left with only basic security personnel and food.

I can imagine that some pleading for our troops is going to happen on the part of Bush and the Pentagon. "don't leave them stranded", etc, hoping to strongarm Congress into approving more funding for foreign troops. However, whose fault is it that they're in this position in the first place? I don't entirely blame the Pentagon for depleting their budgets. They are told what to do, and then execute the plan. But, keeping troops over there for so long, wasting so much money on contractors, when our own economy at home is dying has created a disaster, and who pays for it in the end? We do, as well as the troops who have been overextended for a long time.

I don't advocate leaving our troops stranded. I can imagine that with only basic security over there, the situation could get pretty bloody. But, maybe Congress will use this situation as a wake up call and troops will have to pull out in just a few months. Maybe...

Also, what kind of domestic policy is it to close bases, and put military personnel on furlough? Who justifies weakening our domestic security to clean up someone else's mess? Why do our leaders advocate sacrificing our homeland to help another country that can't even help itself?

If they approve more funding, this is just going to get worse and worse. Our leaders say that progress is being made, and I agree that there are some positives to our presence over there (though how much of the negatives were our fault in the first place?!), but there are more troops coming home very jaded about our government and its policies, and there are more middle eastern countries, and in the rest of the world that hate us than before. How is that progress?

Bush has managed to destroy any power we once had. Bush has made us weak and impoverished. I am going to now stop sitting on my ass and write to my reps. Don't know if it will do any good, but it's a step toward action rather than complaining on here about it.

lol- tried to write to Sen. Bill Frist- his email was not taking letters No surprise there. He's too busy spending his money to care about his constituents.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:01 PM

634 posts, read 805,250 times
Smile Bush Voters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Those individuals who voted Bush into the White House must feel like Horse manure right now, particularly about the direction (down hill fast) he has taken not only the United States, but the entire World. Although those voters who put Bush into office seem to always put on a good "game face" in public, they have to be totally humiliated, disgraced and regretful about not only their association with Mr.Bush, but also their decision to put him into office.

Again, I was pondering if any of you have any sympathy for these individuals and the depressed state of mind they must be in right now.
I am amazed at how these Bush voters are so self righteous. Some of the faults that some find with his election opponents are minor compared to the performance of GWB. Given a chance both men would have probably handled the Presidency better than Bush whether they were totally liked or not.

As many American citizen traits gain attention, it actually is not much of a mystery how the majority voted for an arrogant overpriviledged candidate like Bush. Unfortunatly he fits the pattern of all too many citizens.
I believe if he could run a third time, he again would be voted into office! What can be done to change the sensibilities of the voters is beyond me--it is kind of like having people drive the speed limit and stop killing others.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:38 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,371,812 times
In 2000 the Bush voters were fooled. In 2004 they were led around by the nose. Today they still wear their nose rings with pride and are ready to defend the president's policies regardless of what those policies are. Bush supporters are the ones who are grateful for every kick in the butt, as long as the boot is worn by a conservative. They're getting shafted - and they're thankful for it.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:09 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,772,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
In 2000 the Bush voters were fooled. In 2004 they were led around by the nose. Today they still wear their nose rings with pride and are ready to defend the president's policies regardless of what those policies are. Bush supporters are the ones who are grateful for every kick in the butt, as long as the boot is worn by a conservative. They're getting shafted - and they're thankful for it.
there are 2 types of Bush supporters:
1) the wealthy.
2) those who are in denial.

but, it's all good. the oil is reaching $100, which is good for the consumer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies