Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 09:49 AM

937 posts, read 1,135,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
May I ask how old you are by chance? Are you in college? If so, that explains a lot.
I completed college a few years ago. White privilege, in my honest opinion, does exist. This is simply my opinion, based on what I've personally observed.

Sometimes I chuckle when people state that black people have attitudes and rarely leave a tip. Honestly, class plays a major role, but I've watched waiters and waitresses work overtime to appease my white date and I, but the same great service is usually not given, if I'm dining out at an expensive restaurant with a black man. I'm just relaying my own personal experiences.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:52 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,252,971 times
well you must not have much world experience and must have lived a sheltered life in lilly white bumble **** PA.
It's not white privilege when ignorant black people do not leave a tip. Known many a waiter that will tell you that.
as for your own personal experiences, you must be one of those types that is constantly looking for white on black racism where none exists. From my own personal experience, blacks are far more racist than whites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
I completed college close to a decade ago. White privilege, in my honest opinion, does exist. This is simply my opinion, based on what I've observed.

I don't want to change the topic, but sometimes I chuckle when people state that black people have attitudes and rarely leave a tip. Honestly, class plays a major role, but I've watched waiters and waitresses work overtime to appease my white date and I, but the same behavior is usually not given if I'm dining out at an expensive restaurant with a black man. I'm just relaying my own personal experiences.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:58 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
I didn't watch the video, but what does race have anything to do with a customer not getting a receipt at a fast food establishment?
Not getting a receipt for the order at that time and day would make the food originally ordered on the house. I don't get it. That means anyone can walk in saying they did not get a receipt the previous day if they were even there or not? She must be a smooth talker and anyone getting this fired up over a receipt issue the next day that clearly states the policy on the register and going in with this attitude needs to GET A LIFE. Regardless of their race. The store could have sent her on her way, The policy is written on the register-take a look next time you go to a Dunkin Donuts.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
OP, here is a classic example of a (White) person who has simply "never seen such a thing" a White person being rude and demanding.....because White =good, and good people are capable of such a thing. And then it was followed up by the obligatory Black "race card" nonsense.

Typical.
Exactly. Apparently, the person who commented, views her behavior as atypical. I could post a video of a black woman behaving unruly, and the comments would certainly be more in sync with, "that's how they are," "black women are so loud and aggressive," "Why is black "culture" so violent." And on and on and on...

White privilege simply means giving the person the benefit of the doubt and not jumping to conclusions. In the video, the Indian/Pakistani cashier didn't view her as trying to get over, or unruly. He simply saw her as a customer; therefore, he tried to appease her despite her rude comments. If she was black, he would have (more than likely) viewed her as an unruly free-loader. I truly believe that had she been black, he would have asked her to leave the store and even quite possibly, called the police.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
well you must not have much world experience and must have lived a sheltered life in lilly white bumble **** PA.
It's not white privilege when ignorant black people do not leave a tip. Known many a waiter that will tell you that.
as for your own personal experiences, you must be one of those types that is constantly looking for white on black racism where none exists. From my own personal experience, blacks are far more racist than whites.
Have you ever heard of a concept called the self fulfilling prophesy? When you believe that a person will behave a certain way, they usually do. If a waiter believes that black people don't tip well, they will treat them accordingly, and guess what, because of the poor service, they won't get a good tip.

Last edited by CityGirl332; 06-23-2013 at 10:16 AM..

Old 06-23-2013, 10:13 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
I completed college a few years ago. White privilege, in my honest opinion, does exist. This is simply my opinion, based on what I've personally observed.

Sometimes I chuckle when people state that black people have attitudes and rarely leave a tip. Honestly, class plays a major role, but I've watched waiters and waitresses work overtime to appease my white date and I, but the same great service is usually not given, if I'm dining out at an expensive restaurant with a black man. I'm just relaying my own personal experiences.
Maybe the waitress or waiter base their service upon past experiences just like you are now. Maybe in their experience black people give bad tips so they treat black customers based upon tipping history. Why bust butt for a bad tip?
You talk to an experienced waitress and they will tell you they can normally tell a good tipper from a bad at a glance. How they know? Beats me.
Yet here you are making assumptions about a store clerk, basing it all upon race. have you attempted to find out what the store policy is?

Old 06-23-2013, 10:28 AM

yeah it's called ASS-umptions!
People ASS-sume because I am a big broad guy with a shaved head and beard with tattoos that I was in jail recently and give me a wide berth because I am treaghtening to them.

Have you ever considered maybe the waiter/waitress was having a real bad day and it was the end of their shift and they want to go home? Maybe it was your attitude.

Quote:
Have you ever heard of a concept called the self fulfilling prophesy? When you believe that a person will behave a certain way, they usually do. If a waiter believes that black people don't tip well, they will treat them accordingly, and guess what, because of the poor service, they won't get a good tip.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:29 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
This isn't "white privilege" at all. In fact, I've never seen such a thing.

I have seen and personally witnessed African American women pull the race card to get discounts on items they had no business getting a discount on. The most egregious was on Black Friday when a TV was sold out because it was ridiculously discounted. Three African-American women bitterly complained LOUDLY to the store management about it and got a discount on another TV after they used the race card.
That's an extreme case. Most black people aren't going to pull a race card (loudly or quietly) in order to get a discount.

Quote:

Waiters have their own experiences to draw from too. Black people do tip less than white people. This might be because of socioeconomics or a self fulfilling prophecy (the waiter thinks he is going to get a small tip so s/he provides less service and as a result gets a small tip).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
There is no such thing as white privilege. Those who are energetic- intelligent - good honest people will succeed no matter what race they are. Does some bumkin drinking bad booze in the back woods of Kentucky have "white privilege"? Not likely.
Privilege extends further than just the workplace though. In truth, capable black people can start their own company if they aren't getting a fair deal at some company. However, I've been able to do things and get away with things that a black guy my age wouldn't likely have been able to get away with.

The DMV lady wasn't supposed to give me my license, she knew and I knew it, but I got her to give it to me anyway. I went and picked up a car for my friend last year, normally they would require his written authorization, yet I convinced them to just make a phone call...If I was black they most likely would have gone by the book. My gf and I were at the mall once and she went to go get some lingerie or something and could barely get any service, but once I walk in she had service QUICK... Coincidence? Maybe.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
That's an extreme case. Most black people aren't going to pull a race card (loudly or quietly) in order to get a discount.
ummm....you would be surprised. Guess it depends on where.

Quote:
Waiters have their own experiences to draw from too. Black people do tip less than white people. This might be because of socioeconomics or a self fulfilling prophecy (the waiter thinks he is going to get a small tip so s/he provides less service and as a result gets a small tip).

Privilege extends further than just the workplace though. In truth, capable black people can start their own company if they aren't getting a fair deal at some company. However, I've been able to do things and get away with things that a black guy my age wouldn't likely have been able to get away with.

The DMV lady wasn't supposed to give me my license, she knew and I knew it, but I got her to give it to me anyway. I went and picked up a car for my friend last year, normally they would require his written authorization, yet I convinced them to just make a phone call...If I was black they most likely would have gone by the book. My gf and I were at the mall once and she went to go get some lingerie or something and could barely get any service, but once I walk in she had service QUICK... Coincidence? Maybe.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:47 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
maybe there are some truths to the 'stereotype' of inner city black women.
I've worked in retail in the city and can tell you many come in with a chip on their shoulder getting indignant on you and expect you to fall all over yourself to help them and if they do not get what they want, you are label-ed a racist. So for the people acting like there is some truth to whatever, there just might be. But it's because again, there alot of truths to the stereotypes.
In my experience, poor Whites tend to be very nasty and mean people. Now that I live in AZ, which has a sizeable population of poor and uneducated Whites, I absolutely hate dealing with them and I try to avoid them by staying in my more affluent area. I have had to report more nasty behavior by employees to their managers than I ever have in my life. Poor Whites also tend to be very envious of Black people who have more and live better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies