Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 01:25 PM

61 posts, read 41,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Definition of HISPANIC

: of or relating to the people, speech, or culture of Spain or of Spain and Portugal
: of, relating to, or being a person of Latin American descent living in the United States; especially : one of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin
— Hispanic noun
— His·pan·i·cism noun
— His·pan·i·cist noun
— His·pan·i·cize transitive verb
See Hispanic defined for English-language learners »
See Hispanic defined for kids »
No need for this thread to linger on after this post.

Lock the thread please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 01:33 PM

27,453 posts, read 1,054,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It is just a made up race. More and more "hispanic" means illegals --- if a politician doesn't want to reward foreigners who break our laws, he's somehow anti-hispanic -- ironic because Cesar Chavez was against illegals.

Vicente Fox himself does not have a Spanish last name, and Romney's family immigrated from Mexico.
Have you taken into account Fox's mother's maiden name?

Old 06-23-2013, 01:36 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Why does having a name like "Zimmerman" make one not Hispanic according to the left-wing media?

Old 06-23-2013, 03:18 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I had a Hispanic last name, for many years. I was called for a job interview once, and ignored, because I am blonde, they called out my name, I stood up...and basically, by the look on their faces, I knew the interview was over. They wanted a specific type of person...not blonde.

What is even worse, was for my step daughters, who did look Hispanic, but...could not speak Spanish. They were treated very rudely by people, for being hispanic, and also by other hispanics, for looking "Hispanic", but not being able to speak Spanish. I have no understanding of this at all. My Stepdaughter, was beaten up at school, by Hispanic girls, for looking Hispanic, but not being able to speak Spanish...she was in fear of going to school, so we transferred her. It was crazy.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:31 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
That's not at all the way it works unless one is ignorant.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:32 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Ok: why does a name like Rodriguez, Sanchez, Garcia and so 1 "brand" even a "white" person "Hispanic" even if they DON'T speak Spanish and so on but that same rule doesn't always go for American Indians, Blacks and other "non white" people?

But an English last name like Smith or Jones does NOT always mean "anglo".
Hispanics are both white and non white. So what do you want to know?

Old 06-23-2013, 03:33 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I had a Hispanic last name, for many years. I was called for a job interview once, and ignored, because I am blonde, they called out my name, I stood up...and basically, by the look on their faces, I knew the interview was over. They wanted a specific type of person...not blonde.

What is even worse, was for my step daughters, who did look Hispanic, but...could not speak Spanish. They were treated very rudely by people, for being hispanic, and also by other hispanics, for looking "Hispanic", but not being able to speak Spanish. I have no understanding of this at all. My Stepdaughter, was beaten up at school, by Hispanic girls, for looking Hispanic, but not being able to speak Spanish...she was in fear of going to school, so we transferred her. It was crazy.
That's just sad and I'm trying to be nice. Those "Hispanic" girls NEEDED to be punished for their straight up racist attack against your step daughter. Sheesh!

The crazy part would those same "Hispanic" girls would probably be "racist" against a blond hair blue eyed Spanish girl who spoke the nice Madrid Spanish, NOT Mexican Spanglish, since she'd be "white" AND "Hispanic".

Old 06-23-2013, 03:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You obviously don't know any Filipino's then.
Well? Why aren't they considered "hispanic"? Their country was once a colony of Spain -- every much as was Mexico and Peru and all the other Spanish colonies. Seems pretty arbitary.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:38 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniemae View Post
Have you taken into account Fox's mother's maiden name?
It doesn't matter -- the OP's question was about Spanish last name -- Chente Fox's last name is not Spanish. His mother's name could have been Allen (I know Mexicans with the last name of Allen) and he'd still be just as "hispanic".

Some claim it's a cultural designation - but then what of American hispanics who speak perfect English and celebrate the 4th of July instead of 16th of September and are as American as apple pie? Are they no longer hispanic?

Old 06-23-2013, 03:38 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It is just a made up race. More and more "hispanic" means illegals --- if a politician doesn't want to reward foreigners who break our laws, he's somehow anti-hispanic -- ironic because Cesar Chavez was against illegals.

Vicente Fox himself does not have a Spanish last name, and Romney's family immigrated from Mexico.
Romney's family is not Mexican. They were white Americans who left the US for Mexico and came back.

My Cuban family members have French and Russian (changed to Spanish) surnames, but they are definitely Latinos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies