Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is indefinite life extension a good idea?
Yes and I'm in no hurry to die 20 47.62%
Yes but personally a death from old age at 80-90 is fine with me 9 21.43%
No, I don't like the idea of it 10 23.81%
No, it's a dangerous idea and research on it should be banned 3 7.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:07 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Aubrey De Grey thinks that there is a 50 percent chance that within 25-30 years (he said this about 10 years ago) that we will begin to be able to get aging under control. This means that if your body is in good enough shape by 2030-2040ish you have a good chance of never growing old and living centuries if not thousands of years.

Personally I'm all for it. I like life and in my opinion when it comes to living there's no such thing as too much of a good thing. Growing old sounds horrible and painful and I'm not strongly convinced either way about an afterlife.

What do you think?
sounds dangerous

Accelerando
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 11:53 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
The lack of imagination of people, is suprising.

Everyone sees a cliff edge and assumes we will fall crashing to the earth
Not everyone.

And it's just as silly to see productivity gains in the past and assume they will continue forever.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:02 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times
I am all for it I will be 80 but plastic surgery will be way advanced and I will get a Brad Pitt head and have them botox my whole body to remove wrinkles.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:09 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Bad idea

EVERYTHING organic deteriorates over time- EVERYTHING. While there may be componants of medicine which can promote longivity (through identification of gene activation with aging and advances in organ regenesis), nothing can prevent organic chemical compounds from eventual degradation.

Innovation seems to come from those under 50 years of age. What would our world be like if we did not have the energy and drive of youth? Certainly, along with it comes more impulsive behavior, but creativity is a positive attribute of the young.

Natural resources are limited. There would have to be laws that limited people to only "replacement" number of children (2) to keep the population in check. Competition for scarce natural resources would produce starvation and war.

As we know today, the least intelligent and least industrious tend to have the most children. Prolonging lives would result in an "Idiocracy" scenario in which the average IQ would deteriorate more rapidly than it is now (witness the IQ decline in America since the advent of social engineering- we are becoming a nation of idiots collectively).

Life is precious BECAUSE TIME IS LIMITED.
Actually you age because it is in you DNA to age.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:19 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times
A population that doesn't die means problems for the world. that is why nature tells us that we must age and die.

Although Sci-fi - Torchwood: Miracle Day dealt with the issue when you suddenly have millions of people, not able to die.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
A population that doesn't die means problems for the world. that is why nature tells us that we must age and die.

Although Sci-fi - Torchwood: Miracle Day dealt with the issue when you suddenly have millions of people, not able to die.
Humans need to move from being animals.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:29 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
Just imagine if they could extend life indefinitely, what kind of effect would this have on society and relationships. Ask yourself this question, If you could live indefinitely would you choose to live it with the person your with right now, could you see yourself living with the same person for 500-1000 years? When death becomes an option then I think society will grow to be less caring and life will become a throw away item like everything else has become.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:35 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Humans need to move from being animals.
Why? Humans ARE animals.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:41 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I think I'll be too old for it to do me any good.

Actually, I predict this will, drastically, change the world. Imagine the population explosion if people, suddenly, start living 200 years instead of 80. We'd go from having 3-4 living generations to having 7-10 living generations. Even with births at replacement only, our population would, most likely, double in 100 years. I predict more deaths from starvation and war as a result.

Personally, I wouldn't mind living healthier longer but if we're living too long, I see more bad than good with the population explosion we'd see. Fortunately, it's unlikely that we're talking about living centuries but being younger longer is very attractive. Too bad I'll be 81 in 2040 if I'm still around. I'm not sure I'd want my life extended at that age but my grandkids might live to be 120 and be as healthy as a 40 year old at the end of their lives.
I think it will be more than that. The global population has doubled in the last 50 years.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Why? Humans ARE animals.
Well to move from being just an animals you have to be a animals in the first place. Humans still act like animals that have better tools. Take WWII for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies