Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 11:22 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,001,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
In looking at this case, from a purely legal perspective, do y'all believe that Zimmerman's greatest mistake with respect to his case, was be so willing to speak to the police when he was questioned? I mean, didn't he even go out there and recreate, in his words, what happened? That seems, from my point of view, a critical misstep on his part.

Please note - this is no reflection on if I believe he is guilty or not. Simply a reflection on how he proceeded once under suspicion.

I think that Zimmerman made several mistakes, and certainly the reenactment was one of them. As has been noted many times, Zimmerman gave conflicting accounts of what happened. The prosecution will no doubt make those discrepancies part of their case. I don't see how anyone could make sense of the differing stories; as much as they don't want to, the defense may be forced into having Zimmerman testify in order to clarify why the stories don't match.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:29 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,978,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
I think that Zimmerman made several mistakes, and certainly the reenactment was one of them. As has been noted many times, Zimmerman gave conflicting accounts of what happened. The prosecution will no doubt make those discrepancies part of their case. I don't see how anyone could make sense of the differing stories; as much as they don't want to, the defense may be forced into having Zimmerman testify in order to clarify why the stories don't match.
I concur but I think him testifying will be a devastatingly bad move. I also just do not understand the decision to go for an affirmative defense. That puts a burden on him that was not there previously.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:31 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,857,070 times
Quote:
In looking at this case, from a purely legal perspective, do y'all believe that Zimmerman's greatest mistake with respect to his case, was be so willing to speak to the police when he was questioned? I mean, didn't he even go out there and recreate, in his words, what happened? That seems, from my point of view, a critical misstep on his part.

Please note - this is no reflection on if I believe he is guilty or not. Simply a reflection on how he proceeded once under suspicion.
Yes, this was discussed many times in the past. He should have had a lawyer present from the get-go. However, he had been in trouble several times in the past and always got off with a slap on the wrist. In his mind, he did nothing wrong. "Here I am to save the day!" I don't have anything against the man. I just think he's very screwed up and has a hero complex. It's obvious from his past actions. He was on medication for ADHD and anxiety (Adderall and Temazepam) while driving around with a gun around his waist looking for bad guys. He couldn't get on the police force so he signed up for a ride-along and started a NW group in a community where he only rented. Even the homeowners didn't sign up, so he became the "captain."

The man was a time bomb ready to explode.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Yes, this was discussed many times in the past. He should have had a lawyer present from the get-go. However, he had been in trouble several times in the past and always got off with a slap on the wrist. In this mind, he did nothing wrong. "Here I am to save the day!" I don't have anything against the man. I just think he's very screwed up and has a hero complex. It's obvious from his past actions. He was on medication for ADHD and anxiety (Adderall and Temazepam) while driving around with a gun around his waist looking for bad guys. He couldn't get on the police force so he signed up for a ride-along and started a NW group in a community where he only rented. Even the homeowners didn't sign up, so he became the "captain."

The man was a time bomb ready to explode.
I will say, even though many others disagree, that I think Zimmerman genuinely thought he was doing the 'right' thing. So it becomes a question of what exactly happened when those two met up. Right now, from my perspective, Zimmerman has quite a deficit working against him in his defense. Between his multiple statements to police and his lawyer's choice of defense. Will be interesting to see how this case goes because stranger things have happened. I honestly thought Casey Anthony would not get acquitted so there's no telling anymore.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:40 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,857,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Not at all. Shes a proven liar and a loser on top of it. But it was nice of her to confirm that Martin was a racist. I just think its hilarious to watch a bunch of libs fawn over a borderline retarded wanna be thuggette.
I usually don't call anyone a loser. We all have our personal struggles in life. However, in response to your post and to others who are passing judgment on Trayvon and his friend, did you ever wonder why George tried so hard to become a cop and failed? Did you ever look at his record?

George has been frustrated for a long time. He took courses in criminology, but he couldn't finish college because he kept flunking courses and was put on academic probation. He was expelled because his grade point average dropped below 2.0. (and people are calling 17 year old Trayvon Martin slow?) He wanted to be a police officer and got a D in "Intro To Criminal Justice."

Doesn't this show his anger and frustration was building up for years? The only way he could have any "authority" was to form a neighborhood watch group and become its captain. Keep in mind that he wasn't even a homeowner and nobody else was interested. For him this was an important job. I'm not trying to give him an insanity pass at all, but he was obsessed with the whole justice system and wanted so badly to be part of it but instead had to go on a ride-along with a "real" police officer to get a taste.

SOURCE: [URL="http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-08-09/news/os-george-zimmerman-new-evidence-20120809_1_trayvon-martin-death-of-unarmed-teenager-george-zimmerman-case"]Orlando Sentinel[/URL]

Old 06-26-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
I concur but I think him testifying will be a devastatingly bad move. I also just do not understand the decision to go for an affirmative defense. That puts a burden on him that was not there previously.

Yes, George would have some difficulty in trying to explain why he's told contradictory stories. I asked a friend with many years of legal experience why Zimmerman's defense team went with an affirmative defense, and the response was that they're laying the groundwork for an appeal. Who knows? Odd to think that we've heard only a small part of the case, yet the defense team may be working toward a different trial at some point in the future.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, George would have some difficulty in trying to explain why he's told contradictory stories. I asked a friend with many years of legal experience why Zimmerman's defense team went with an affirmative defense, and the response was that they're laying the groundwork for an appeal. Who knows? Odd to think that we've heard only a small part of the case, yet the defense team may be working toward a different trial at some point in the future.
That seems a bad strategy to me. How many cases are actually overturned in appeal? I would wager a small percentage.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:04 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,376,194 times
Default Trayvon Martin Referred To Zimmerman As A "Creepy Ass Cracker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Your seventeen and are creeped out by the creepy stranger following you without apparent reason because creepy guy does not identify himself...teen gets a pass for mouthing off.
Yes, the "cracker" part was to inform his friend that the creep was not black.

It is called communication.

Had the creep been black, would Trayvon have shown more respect to the stalking creep?

Personally, it's difficult for me to imagine a creepy black person.

I don't believe I've ever seen one.

I HAVE seen creepy white people, though.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
That seems a bad strategy to me. How many cases are actually overturned in appeal? I would wager a small percentage.

I agree, but there are so many things about this case that are puzzling. IMO the timeline will be hugely problematic for Zimmerman, as will the changing of stories. It's going to be interesting to see how the defense handles the case, particularly if Zimmerman doesn't take the stand.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
I agree, but there are so many things about this case that are puzzling. IMO the timeline will be hugely problematic for Zimmerman, as will the changing of stories. It's going to be interesting to see how the defense handles the case, particularly if Zimmerman doesn't take the stand.
But won't it be fascinating if he does?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.