Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 05:39 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times

Advertisements

When West ended his crossx of Rachel yesterday he quoted her words from a prior deposition about who was yelling for help ---

"It could be Trayvon. Like I said, I don't know but it could be. The dude sounded kind of like Trayvon. Trayvon do got that soft voice and that baby voice sometimes. So, it could be, I don't know."

Some of you understood those words mean the same thing as 'It was Trayvon.' Without your help, I wouldn't have known that. Are there any cues, tips, internet translation programs, that will give me the same ability you have to grasp the true meaning of words in RachelSpeak ?

Old 06-27-2013, 05:49 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
For the oblivious I'll point out that, had Zimmerman used an equivalent racist term about Martin, he'd be choosing his final meal by now.
He'll be doing that soon enough as it is.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:06 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
I wonder when (if?) the prosecution will call Mr Goode? You know the guy that came out of his sliding glass door , saw TM on top of GZ, and went back inside to call 911. I kind of feel sorry for Mr. Goode. If he had just gone over and pushed TM off of GZ, it probably would have saved TM's life. Must weigh heavily on him.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:28 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
When West ended his crossx of Rachel yesterday he quoted her words from a prior deposition about who was yelling for help ---

"It could be Trayvon. Like I said, I don't know but it could be. The dude sounded kind of like Trayvon. Trayvon do got that soft voice and that baby voice sometimes. So, it could be, I don't know."

Some of you understood those words mean the same thing as 'It was Trayvon.' Without your help, I wouldn't have known that. Are there any cues, tips, internet translation programs, that will give me the same ability you have to grasp the true meaning of words in RachelSpeak ?
It helps to have lived in Miami and understand a bit better the cultural context of her life, having grown up in a family who recently (before she was born) moved to the U.S. In Miami, there are people from many countries, and they tend to maintain in their homes the culture from which they came, and often do not speak English at home, but the language from their native homeland. Haitians have an especially hard time in Miami. There are often boat loads of Haitians who come ashore in Miami, trying to escape Haiti's harsh govt before the hurricane that wiped them out, and those people are immediately sent back to Haiti, whereas the Cubans have the wet-foot-dry-foot policy/law which allows them to stay if they can get one foot on land. Seems to me that the Haitians in Miami get a pretty bad deal, and they don't much trust our courts to do anything for them, plus there is the combination of speaking Creole at home and English only where they must, like school. Additionally, she is an immature teenager. She is not accustomed to being precise when talking......that's why I think she didn't see much difference in "that could be Trayvon" etc. and "that was Trayvon." She has already explained that the Crump interview meant nothing to her, and she "rushed" through it to be finished with it. This girl is in fact an immature teenager seemingly without a good education in speaking correct, precise English.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:35 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
It's kind of odd that responding "he looks black" when asked for a description of a suspect is considered racist, but "creepy ass cracker" isn't.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
If you take a break from typing briefs today, show the last 5 minutes of her testimony to the lawyers you work for. Ask them if they think her attitude and comments were good or bad for the state.

You're pleased the black woman put the white lawyer in his place. 'You go girl'
I don't have to ask any lawyers I know. All YOU have to do is turn on your TV and you will get as much opinion and advice from lawyers as you want.

I, having worked many trials, think her testimony was very good for the prosecution. She was very genuine. In court, that gets points with a jury. Also, in a courtroom it is easy to pick up on how authentic a person is when testifying. If you want to judge the young woman by comparing her to a well-educated person from a middle class typical American family, you're going to misjudge her every time.

Btw, I've never, ever typed a brief in my life. Wouldn't know where to start. Those things require somewhat complicated use of word processing software about which I am clueless. I don't think any attorneys would pay my hourly rate for me to do something for which I have no experience or training. Why does it bother you so much that my background is investigations and involves working with the legal teams in the courtroom?

Old 06-27-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I doubt that anyone thinks 'he looks black' is a racist remark.

As for 'cracker', I don't consider that a racist remark, either.

When Casey Anthony was found innocent, I referred to her entire jury as 'blankety-blank crackers', and I'm white. I have no idea what the racial makeup of that jury was.
OK, fine. The term "cracker" is no more, or less, racist than the term "ni**er" is. And of course anyone referring to the old OJ jury as a 'blankety-blank ni**ers' wouldn't have had any racist connotation either. Right?

Old 06-27-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
OMG

its Nancy Grace,

you have to be her, Ive never heard such incoherent babble from anyone else BUT her !

WOW..

have you harped on the fact that po' po' little tray'von called GZ a ni**a and cracka ?
sounds just like a gang member/ wanna be thug.
It doesn't seem that you understand what "incoherent babble" really means although it's present in so many of your posts. Did someone advise you to use that phrase when you don't like what was posted?

You have harped on "po' po' little trayvon" enough for all of us to have formed as opinion as to your feelings about black people. Do you, by any chance, feel superior to black folks?

Old 06-27-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
It doesn't seem that you understand what "incoherent babble" really means although it's present in so many of your posts. Did someone advise you to use that phrase when you don't like what was posted?

You have harped on "po' po' little trayvon" enough for all of us to have formed as opinion as to your feelings about black people. Do you, by any chance, feel superior to black folks?
Can you explain how comments about ONE person that has made racist statements and used racially offensive slurs is now an opinion of all black people? Martin is no more a representative of all black people than Zimmerman is of all Hispanics.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I wonder when (if?) the prosecution will call Mr Goode? You know the guy that came out of his sliding glass door , saw TM on top of GZ, and went back inside to call 911. I kind of feel sorry for Mr. Goode. If he had just gone over and pushed TM off of GZ, it probably would have saved TM's life. Must weigh heavily on him.
Is "Mr. Goode" witness number 6? You do know that he changed his story from Trayvon was punching Zimmerman MMA arts style to Trayvon was NOT punching Zimmerman at all and was simply holding him down, don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies