Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 01:11 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I guess Martin's father is not going to be a witness because he's been in the courtroom. Just trying to put pieces together about what happened because I missed it on TV, but seems like maybe defense made a motion to remove Martin's father from the courtroom because he was crying and that would influence the jury. I'm also guessing that the Judge denied that motion?
They tried to get Mr. Martin kicked out because he had "threatened" a Zimmerman family friend by uttering the word "mother effer" during a brief contact a couple of weeks ago.

lol

I believe the judge cited some Supreme Court ruling that the victim's family can be in the courtroom even if they are on the witness list.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:12 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Trayvon's parents are allowed to stay even though they are on the witness list. Because they're family of the VICTIM!

I don't think any potential witnesses should be allowed, but victim families can stay to represent the victim.
Repeating for those who missed it, even though it's been repeated umpteen times.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:13 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Well, Dale, you are right about family members of the victim being allowed to stay in the courtroom.
Actually, the judge stated it over and over but the defense attorney didn't seem to understand. Even tho he knew better.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-24-2013 at 01:55 PM..

Old 06-24-2013, 01:18 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Default Anyone else think Zimmerman should win the criminal trial but lose teh civil case?

Now I think OJ Simpson should have lost both, but with Zimmerman I think he should be acquitted of the murder charges but be partly responsible in the civil suit that no doubt will follow.

I don't believe that he chased down and murdered Trayvon in cold blood. There was an altercation and it was probably Trayvon that attacked him first and started the altercation and he was defending himself. Even if Trayvon didn't have any weapons he could have been dangerous. Remember this was a thug who grew up on the streets in Miami with gangsters and hoodluums as friends and who used drugs. Its also possible that he could have attacked Zimmerman to try to take his gun from him. Well trained police officers have died this way. I'm not saying Travyon deserved to get killed but his own actions were partly to blame for what happened.

However the whole situation could have been prevented if Zimmerman had listened to the police and not confronted Trayvon so in that regard he ALSO has SOME responsibility over what happened. However he is not guilty of murder and should not go to prison.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:20 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Any expression of opinion based on your question, at this time, would be a sign of ignorance. It's generally accepted in the USA that a person is innocent until proven guilty. Give it a rest. Let the criminal justice/judicial process run its course.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,775 times
There is little legislative impetus to review 'Stand Your Ground' laws in Oregon. We do know that - had Zimmerman closer ties to law enforcement - he'd simply be able to declare he was in fear for his life ... and escaped all criminal sanctions. SB781 languishes in Senate Judiciary. It was designed to change the standard from what an officer declares, to 'what a reasonable person would believe,' and let a jury decide whether an officer's lethal use of force was justified. Readers would be shocked to discover all of the unarmed victims officers subsequently declared mortal fear over engaging.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:44 PM

318 posts, read 506,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Now I think OJ Simpson should have lost both, but with Zimmerman I think he should be acquitted of the murder charges but be partly responsible in the civil suit that no doubt will follow.

I don't believe that he chased down and murdered Trayvon in cold blood. There was an altercation and it was probably Trayvon that attacked him first and started the altercation and he was defending himself. Even if Trayvon didn't have any weapons he could have been dangerous. Remember this was a thug who grew up on the streets in Miami with gangsters and hoodluums as friends and who used drugs. Its also possible that he could have attacked Zimmerman to try to take his gun from him. Well trained police officers have died this way. I'm not saying Travyon deserved to get killed but his own actions were partly to blame for what happened.

However the whole situation could have been prevented if Zimmerman had listened to the police and not confronted Trayvon so in that regard he ALSO has SOME responsibility over what happened. However he is not guilty of murder and should not go to prison.

well which was it? you came to a conclusion without even getting your own story straight

Old 06-24-2013, 01:48 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,073 times
If Zimmerman is charged with murder, I give up on life.........

Old 06-24-2013, 01:52 PM

318 posts, read 506,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
If Zimmerman is charged with murder, I give up on life.........

ugh...disgusting

Old 06-24-2013, 01:58 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R D Hardesty View Post
There is little legislative impetus to review 'Stand Your Ground' laws in Oregon. We do know that - had Zimmerman closer ties to law enforcement - he'd simply be able to declare he was in fear for his life ... and escaped all criminal sanctions. SB781 languishes in Senate Judiciary. It was designed to change the standard from what an officer declares, to 'what a reasonable person would believe,' and let a jury decide whether an officer's lethal use of force was justified. Readers would be shocked to discover all of the unarmed victims officers subsequently declared mortal fear over engaging.
Not sure what SB781 is, I'll have to look it up.

But when it comes to use of force by police, the "reasonable person" standard is already the law of the land, as established in Graham V Conner by SCOTUS in 1989

Graham v. Connor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies