Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:09 AM

1,347 posts, read 949,397 times

Advertisements

Mayor Lowlife, er. Bloomberg, should read this article too so he can see why he is such a complete zero. But then again, dictators who change laws so that they can run for office over and over are usually not much interested in facts. Anyway, this situation was a nice example of how having conceal and carry - the right to carry personal firearms - is such an important one:

Man tries to rob people in line for LeBron James sneakers, is killed - CNN.com

Man tries to rob people in line for LeBron James sneakers, is shot and killed

Just wonderful news, I wish I was there to have watched it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 08:41 AM

4,739 posts, read 4,412,916 times
Here is the irony here. Perhaps it is a hallmark of missing crucial steps in critical thinking (you are not born to think/reason, it must be learned).

Lets break it down. . .hypoethical case.. but illustrates why this is a bad thought process and bloomberg would ignore unless backed up

1) concel carry law goes into place
2) 50 unintended injuries/fatalities due to guns firing in holsters/etc
3) 100 unintended injuries/fatalities due to abuse/fights/spouses/etc
4) 1 case of a man getting robbed

There is no way for us to argue that the above link makes an argument for concealed carry without understanding the holistic picture. When a concealed carry law goes in: 1) do more people carry guns 2) how many more accidents 3) how many more unjustified shootings (fights) 4)how many defense shootings 5) impact to overall homicide rate

In another way. . .
I'm not going to poke holes in the titanic, just because your cabin is warm.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:48 AM

6,392 posts, read 5,144,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Here is the irony here. Perhaps it is a hallmark of missing crucial steps in critical thinking (you are not born to think/reason, it must be learned).

Lets break it down. . .hypoethical case.. but illustrates why this is a bad thought process and bloomberg would ignore unless backed up

1) concel carry law goes into place
2) 50 unintended injuries/fatalities due to guns firing in holsters/etc
3) 100 unintended injuries/fatalities due to abuse/fights/spouses/etc
4) 1 case of a man getting robbed

There is no way for us to argue that the above link makes an argument for concealed carry without understanding the holistic picture. When a concealed carry law goes in: 1) do more people carry guns 2) how many more accidents 3) how many more unjustified shootings (fights) 4)how many defense shootings 5) impact to overall homicide rate

In another way. . .
I'm not going to poke holes in the titanic, just because your cabin is warm.
here is the real irony...
Without any realistic information of the actual numbers or cases in # 2 above, or the availability of some other weapon making # 3 above totally irrelevant concerning guns, and the fact that #4 is simply one of over 2.5 million cases each year of a legally armed citizen preventing or stopping a crime, someone wants to prevent # 1, a concealed carry law.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:49 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,521,434 times
The people responsible enough to obtain a concealed carry permits for a hand guns simply do not have their gun "firing in holsters etc", do not use their guns to shoot spouses, and, if one armed robber is shot by a concealed carry gun owner the entire program is justified because a violent criminal was eliminated from society.

I believe we will have a more law abiding and safer society if more citizens obtained a CCP and carried their guns whever they has a legal right to be. I would like to see the Federal government force the states to recognize any State's CCP just as they do Driver's Licenses. I see no reason one state's permit should be denied in any other state.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
here is the real irony...
Without any realistic information of the actual numbers or cases in # 2 above, or the availability of some other weapon making # 3 above totally irrelevant concerning guns, and the fact that #4 is simply one of over 2.5 million cases each year of a legally armed citizen preventing or stopping a crime, someone wants to prevent # 1, a concealed carry law.
I am ONLY pointing out that the argument pro-concealed carry is not made with 1 cherry picked event.

I am NOT making the argument in anyway pro or con on concealed carry, just showing the data needed to make any assessment

Yet I stand by the argument, a cherry picked event in its own does not prove or disprove the concealed carry issue.

Though the statics on guns and their risks seem pretty clear. . .but that isn't the point here. The point is the person made a cherry picked fact, and I pointed out why logically you need more data to make an assessment.

Oh, and I call BS on the 2.5 million number. Thats been discredited 8 ways to sunday.

We need to give the researchers the freedom to understand this information, regardless of how much the NRA wants to prevent scientists/research.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The people responsible enough to obtain a concealed carry permits for a hand guns simply do not have their gun "firing in holsters etc", do not use their guns to shoot spouses, and, if one armed robber is shot by a concealed carry gun owner the entire program is justified because a violent criminal was eliminated from society.

Now THAT is perhaps the most far reaching statement ever made in this argument. Because you had a license, your smart enough not to discharge by accident?

By that right, we could prevent every traffic fatality by improving our license structure!

and by that right, no policeman eVER discharges a weapon on accident, because accidents don't happen.

Give me a break, the above is wishful thinking at its best.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:04 AM

14,888 posts, read 9,962,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Now THAT is perhaps the most far reaching statement ever made in this argument. Because you had a license, your smart enough not to discharge by accident?

By that right, we could prevent every traffic fatality by improving our license structure!

and by that right, no policeman eVER discharges a weapon on accident, because accidents don't happen.

Give me a break, the above is wishful thinking at its best.
There is no such thing as an accidental discharge of a firearm. When children are shot by a firearm in the home it's not an accident, it's a failure of a parent(s) in securing their firearm. When someone carrying a firearm drops it or leaves it in a bathroom stall it's not an accident, it's someone incorrectly carrying or handling their firearm.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:12 AM

10,582 posts, read 9,738,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonR View Post
Mayor Lowlife, er. Bloomberg, should read this article too so he can see why he is such a complete zero. But then again, dictators who change laws so that they can run for office over and over are usually not much interested in facts. Anyway, this situation was a nice example of how having conceal and carry - the right to carry personal firearms - is such an important one:

Man tries to rob people in line for LeBron James sneakers, is killed - CNN.com

Man tries to rob people in line for LeBron James sneakers, is shot and killed

Just wonderful news, I wish I was there to have watched it.
Actually, the way that Concealed Carry works best, is when no crime is committed and no shot is fired at all.

Like when a guy sees a bunch of people in line to buy something expensive (however useless), thinks about robbing them, but then considers:

"Hmm, concealed carry is allowed for everybody here. Most people don't carry anyway, even though it is. But a few might, so somebody in this crowd could have a gun. I don't weant to have to face that, so I'lll leave them all alone."

Concelaed carry has done its job, as it so often will. No crime, no threat, nobody gets hurt (or robbed), everybody lives happily ever after. Because Concealed Carry was allowed for everyone.

Of course, there might be a complete whacko somewhere who tries it anyway. But far fewer than if the crooks could be sure no one was carrying. And even the whacko will have less chance of trying it twice... like the guy in the article linked in the OP.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:30 AM

376 posts, read 294,555 times
People who want to pay $180 for sneakers enjoy getting robbed.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:38 AM

10,582 posts, read 9,738,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient1 View Post
People who want to pay $180 for sneakers enjoy getting robbed.
And women enjoy being raped. And were asking for it. Right?

Anyone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies