Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 06:31 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times

Advertisements

I think that it is pointless to have this discussion as if Black American women are a monolithic group because we are not. Middle class and upper class Black women make up the largest percentage of the BW in interracial couples.

A lot of powerful and wealthy White men have Black wives. (George Lucas and his new bride Mellody Hobson)

The fastest growing group in interracial marriages is between WM/BW. WM/BW also have the lowest divorce rate of ALL couples (including same race couples with the one exception being of AM/AW couples)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 06:34 PM

937 posts, read 1,134,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I don't think societies opinion is as much of a deterrent to wm/bf couples as it is that black women are just very difficult to socialize with. I work with a lot of black women. They are very sweet to me but their mannerisms are without a doubt a big turnoff to probably anyone but black men. Ebonics and spitfire attitudes just don't mold well with most white guys.
I'm not sure if you realize this, but you are referring to class, more so than race. There are plenty of poor people who do not fit this mold, but more often than not, most of us are direct products of our environment. The problem is, black women across the board are often lumped into the same category (irrespective of our socioeconomic standing), while other races of women are treated as individuals.

When most men, for example, meet aggressive and unruly white, Asian and Hispanic women, they tend to simply dislike the individual in question, but when they meet a black woman with the same attributes, they often view her as representative of all black women.

In all honesty, I've come across a number of women with attitudes, but I don't really judge them, because I understand that in many instances, they had to develop the attitude as a form of protection. Some of these women grow up in very unsafe environments without any responsible/caring and protective men in their lives. In essence, they develop very masculine dispositions to shield themselves.

Black women however who grow up in middle or upper income communities, w/ fathers are just like any other race of women who grow up in middle or upper income communities w/ fathers.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:35 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,153 times
Allow me to point out that the subject line proposes a question but I don't see one. I'll give some general thoughts.

I don't care if I'm attracted to it as long as it's legal. The only exception isn't for race but for religion. This isn't to be snobbish but if you have a fundamental disagreement on salvation I don't think you can be serious and raise children two ways.

That I believe is my only logical bias. Everything else is taste and I don't care what anyone thinks about my choices.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:37 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Married to a wonderful, intelligent and independent Thai woman. My family accepted her with open arms and love her to death. My autistic daughter loves her and can't spend enough time with her. My friends think she is amazing and everyone accepts her daughter.
The only real issues I have encountered are a narrow minded few that think any asian woman who marries an American must me a mail order bride.
Ignorance is a choice. It is truly a shame that some make this choice.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:40 PM

937 posts, read 1,134,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I think that it is pointless to have this discussion as if Black American women are a monolithic group because we are not. Middle class and upper class Black women make up the largest percentage of the BW in interracial couples.

A lot of powerful and wealthy White men have Black wives. (George Lucas and his new bride Mellody Hobson)

The fastest growing group in interracial marriages is between WM/BW. WM/BW also have the lowest divorce rate of ALL couples (including same race couples with the one exception being of AM/AW couples)
She looks absolutely beautiful.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:41 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,187 times
Quote:
I don't think societies opinion is as much of a deterrent to wm/bf couples as it is that black women are just very difficult to socialize with. I work with a lot of black women. They are very sweet to me but their mannerisms are without a doubt a big turnoff to probably anyone but black men. Ebonics and spitfire attitudes just don't mold well with most white guys.
what type of job were you doing? fast food maybe? if you worked with professional black women, this would not be your experience. many of us do not fit the mold.

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominix42 View Post
Source?
Pew Research Study

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/files...arriage-II.pdf

and

A 2008 study by Jenifer L. Bratter and Rosalind B. King conducted on behalf of the Education Resources Information Center examined whether crossing racial boundaries increased the risk of divorce.Using the 2002 National Survey of Family Growth (Cycle VI), the likelihood of divorce for interracial couples to that of same-race couples was compared. Comparisons across marriage cohorts revealed that, overall, interracial couples have higher rates of divorce, particularly for those that married during the late 1980sThe authors found that gender plays a significant role in interracial divorce dynamics: According to the adjusted models predicting divorce as of the 10th year of marriage, interracial marriages that are the most vulnerable involve White females and non-White males relative to White/White couples. White wife/Black husband marriages are twice as likely to divorce by the 10th year of marriage compared to White/White couples, while White wife/Asian husband marriages are 59% more likely to end in divorce compared to White/White unions. Conversely, White men/non-White women couples show either very little or no differences in divorce rates Asian wife/White husband marriages show only 4% greater likelihood of divorce by the 10th year of marriage than White/White couples In the case of Black wife/White husband marriages, divorce by the 10th year of marriage is 44% less likely than among White/White unions. Intermarriages that did not cross a racial barrier, which was the case for White/Hispanic White couples, showed statistically similar likelihoods of divorcing as White/White marriages.

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominix42 View Post
Source?
The Rise of Intermarriage | Pew Social & Demographic Trends

Old 06-24-2013, 06:42 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
Wow. Way to overgeneralize and stereotype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
...The only exception isn't for race but for religion. This isn't to be snobbish but if you have a fundamental disagreement on salvation I don't think you can be serious and raise children two ways.
Yes, I have to say, as an unrepentent heathen nonbeliever, I respect the spiritual/religious views of others and have myself spent a great deal of my life studying the world's religions, going to various churches, mosques, synagogues and temples. But I would probably find it difficult to be in a close relationship with someone who was very deep into their faith if it meant they expected me and others to live and believe as they do or face their ire and their belief that I'd be hellbound.

I've had long relationships with girls of faith and it has never been a problem or the reason for a break up, but while I am accepting of and supportive of the beliefs of others, I'd probably not get along too well in a relationship with, say, a fundamentalist, literalist fire-and-brimstone hardshell Baptist. Or an extremist Muslim zealot for that matter.

It's be difficult to merge my life with the life of a person so obsessed with or dedicated to things I, at base, just don't believe in or care that much about.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:47 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I know in my situation, my husband's father and grandfather did not believe in interracial dating and he was told as a child, he'd be disowned if he married outside his race.

During his 20's, he ignored that and did begin dating black women. His father did not approve and it created great distance between the two of them. In fact, when I met him, he hadn't spoken to his father in years.

Assuming that his father would stop speaking to him completely, he decided to not tell his father about me until he was ready to propose. To his surprise, father was long past that and just missed his son. He no longer cared and just want him to be happy. His grandfather has long since passed many years prior.

My father-in-law has been nothing but loving, warm, welcoming and accepting of our marriage and I just feel happy and blessed that things worked out.
I'm sure your father-in-law had his ideals for what his children and grandchildren would look like, and was not happy at first to see them changed. but then reality sets in, and his children and grandchildren are family, and so are you. Skin color is superficial, it's the people and the family that matter.

It would not matter what the skin color of his daughter-in-law was, if she cheated on is son, hurt him emotionally, took the children and the house in a messy divorce, and made his son a complete wreck. So if you make his son happy, give him wonderful children, he'll love you no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies