Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 10:35 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times

Advertisements

The Atlantic magazines Ta-Nehisi Coates looks a little deeper into the fact that 70% of African American children are born to single parents. Very simply put, the 70% figure doesn't tell the whole story.

First, the birthrate for unmarried black women has been in steep decline since 1991.

Second, the and more telling is that the birthrate for married black women has dropped at a more significant rate.

At the same time the number of unmarried black women as risen sharply compared to the number of married black women.

So what does that all mean. The 70% figure is the difference between a rising number of unwed black women and a sharp decline in the number of children born to their married counterparts. While that isn't to say that the difference isn't cause for concern the bottom line is that the total number of African American children born to unwed mothers, in absolute numbers, is and has been steady decline.

Ta-Nehisi Coates - Authors - The Atlantic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 01:18 PM

My, my.. considering the amount of "we're paying for people to have children" and the black "dependent class" one would think that this thread wouldn't be so quiet. Funny how that works.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:00 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Actually, those statistics are really irrelevant because they don't address the central fact: Whether you are black, white, brown, yellow, or green with eye stalks, having a child outside of a stable two-parent relationship means the kid will likely begin life at a major disadvantage economically, socially, and psychologically. Study after study demonstrates that effect, whether the mother has one child or five.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually, those statistics are really irrelevant
Facts are only irrelevant when they are not relevant to the argument being presented. No argument has been presented just facts.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:16 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
My, my.. considering the amount of "we're paying for people to have children" and the black "dependent class" one would think that this thread wouldn't be so quiet. Funny how that works.

OK, here is my question then; if ( following what you are saying)
the birth rates fell dramatically for unwed black mothers, why then this data is showing that biggest percentage of children living in single-parent families are still Black children?

http://datacenter.kidscount.org/data...13,185/431,432

So.. if the birth rate is going down for unwed BLACK mothers, could it have anything to do with steady rates of births for unwed WHITE mothers, whose children would be still considered "black" because their unwed fathers are Black?
Just asking. Do you have any data on that by any chance, or do you know whether this kind of unions ( the rise of them may be) coincided with the drop of births among Black unwed women? I mean could this trend go upward somewhere since the nineties as well?

Last edited by erasure; 06-28-2013 at 06:29 PM..

Old 06-28-2013, 06:21 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Facts are only irrelevant when they are not relevant to the argument being presented. No argument has been presented just facts.
Actually, that's a bunch of baloney on your part, given how your second post of this thread reads: My, my.. considering the amount of "we're paying for people to have children" and the black "dependent class" one would think that this thread wouldn't be so quiet. Funny how that works.

It really doesn't matter how many children you have. When you have a child outside of a committed relationship, whether it's one or ten, your odds of raising a well-educated, well-adjusted child who manages to join society as a productive member plunges. That doesn't mean that a single parent can't do a good job raising children and it doesn't mean that two-parent households can't raise a basket case. However the statistics are damning on this score.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:41 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,923,936 times
Most Jewish and East-Asian kids will grow up with a college degree though and many with graduate degrees.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
Most Jewish and East-Asian kids will grow up with a college degree though and many with graduate degrees.
Most Jewish mothers are coming from prominent New-York families, and most of Chinese mothers are coming to the US with money made in "capitalist China," no?

Old 06-28-2013, 07:37 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,923,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Most Jewish mothers are coming from prominent New-York families, and most of Chinese mothers are coming to the US with money made in "capitalist China," no?
Go find a Chinese/Japanese/Korean worker (employee, NOT owner) at a restaurant and ask how his/her kids are doing in school. They will tell you all As or mostly As.

Go to a poor neighborhood with few East-Asian kids and ask teacher where these kids place in terms of grade, behavior, and performance. I think you can guess what the chance of certain answers might be.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
Go find a Chinese/Japanese/Korean worker (employee, NOT owner) at a restaurant and ask how his/her kids are doing in school.
You mean single mothers? Are there many of them ( uneducated Chinese/Japanese single mothers) working for pennies in the US whose children are doing well at school? Do you know them personally or is it just your own assumption?

Quote:
Go to a poor neighborhood with few East-Asian kids
What kind of neighborhood that would be - "poor, with few East Asian kids"?
I saw poor Black neighborhoods, I saw poor Hispanic neighborhoods, but Asians stay within their own group, usually..
And Chinese/Japanese/Korean neighborhoods don't look too poor to me, particularly on the West coast I've noticed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies