Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 12:06 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Well, you're certainly being a good sport about it. Undoubtedly all you relativists would be similarly good sports if it were your children or siblings being raped or murdered.
You perfectionists are a constantly disappointed lot, aren't you? **** happens, you do what you can to mitigate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 12:21 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,957,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Good to hear. However, when someone trots out the, "Atrocities always occur in war," it usually is a thin;y-veiled vehicle for excusing reprehensible behavior.
9 times out of 10, when atrocities happen, it is not the soldiers that defend it but the arm chair rah rah rah warriors that never served a day in the military, but depend on the military for their job via contracts or government connections.

I have yet to see a fellow soldier condone some of the things other soldiers have done, but I have seen many excuses from non military aholes just because;.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:47 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123
You got the wrong guy, man. I am as far from jingoistic as you can be. Patriotic sure, but "our boys" have done plenty of deplorable things.
Indeed they have..... But I dunno if they did it all ON THIER OWN ACCORD or while brainwashed....

Old 06-27-2013, 04:46 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
You perfectionists are a constantly disappointed lot, aren't you? **** happens, you do what you can to mitigate it.
Not participating in the first place is the best way to mitigate it.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:10 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,680 times
This whole story stinks to high heaven. First, as mentioned by other posters, you CANNOT be tried for disobeying unlawful orders. Every Soldier knows that. Every Soldier receives mandatory "Laws of Land Warfare" briefings from their local Judge Advocate General's Office prior to each deployment. Therefore, no one can "force" you to do anything illegal, period. Second, the OPs running indictment of alleged atrocities is not referenced anywhere in the suicide note. That was taken from the decidedly biased source where the OP found the story. Having served multiple on combat tours to include OIF (Iraq), I will say that PTSD is a real thing. The negative connotation associated with PTSD has been largely eliminated and this has resulted in a massive increase in the ability of those that need help getting that help. PTSD is unpredictable. It can affect a combat hardened veteran with multiple tours just as much as it can effect a new Soldier on his or her first deployment. I have several friends that were fellow senior NCOs with multiple combat tours that experienced, and for some, continue to experience PTSD. It is always a shame that any Soldier gets to a point that they think taking their own life is the only way out. The one thing that absolutely repulses me about this thread and others like it is the fact that opponents of the war use a tragedy like this coupled with fake concern for the victim to advance their opposition. That is pretty reprehensible. If you oppose the war, that is perfectly fine, and well withing your rights. Stop short of trying to capitalize on the tragic event of one former Soldier's suicide to push your point of view.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:26 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
This is it in a nutshell.
Former Military myself.

When we are truly under attack, I would support whatever it is to preserve "our country"
When it is ran by corporations and banks for their global adventures and self interests with my tax dollars, and not for our own self defense and border protection, then it is wrong and they can go to Hell.

That is about how I see it.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:53 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Not participating in the first place is the best way to mitigate it.
That's a nice idea, I wonder why we don't try isolationism again, it worked so well in the past..

Old 06-27-2013, 09:09 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
That's a nice idea, I wonder why we don't try isolationism again, it worked so well in the past..
We've never tried isolation (there is in fact no such doctrine as isolationism; the word is a slur, not a denotation of anything) but neutrality worked very well when we've actually practiced it.

I don't recall any blowback from our non-participation in the Crimean War or the Taiping Rebellion.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:11 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Somers’ suicide note is a powerful indictment of the invasion of Iraq and how it ruined the lives of both countless millions of Iraqis as well as innumerable US troops sent in to do the dirty work of the military-industrial complex.

“The simple truth is this: During my first deployment, I was made to participate in things, the enormity of which is hard to describe. War crimes, crimes against humanity,” wrote Somers. “Though I did not participate willingly, and made what I thought was my best effort to stop these events, there are some things that a person simply can not come back from. I take some pride in that, actually, as to move on in life after being part of such a thing would be the mark of a sociopath in my mind. These things go far beyond what most are even aware of.”

However, the root causes are laid bare in Somers’ suicide note. US troops are being ordered to commit atrocities so vile that the only way many of them can cope with the horror of what they have done is by killing themselves.

Examples of atrocities aided directly or indirectly by US troops in Iraq include;

- Orders to slaughter “all military age men” during some operations;

- Torturing detainees – many of whom had never engaged in combat and were totally innocent - at grisly prison camps across the country;

- Raping and torturing children at the infamous Abu Ghraib detention facility while they shrieked in terror. Women forced to watch later begged to be killed.

- Sodomizing detainees with chemical lights and broom sticks;

- Indiscriminately
firing upon and killing journalists and children from the air

- Massacring entire groups of unarmed Iraqis, including children and the elderly in Hadith.

“This is what brought me to my actual final mission. Not suicide, but a mercy killing,” wrote Somers, adding that him living “any kind of ordinary life is an insult to those who died at my hand.”

Read Somers’ full suicide note below, obtained by Gawker and published with his family’s permission

I am sorry that it has come to this.

Iraq Vet Kills Himself After Being Ordered to

Still think we're the good guys?
total BS

Old 06-27-2013, 09:13 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Somers’ suicide note is a powerful indictment of the invasion of Iraq and how it ruined the lives of both countless millions of Iraqis as well as innumerable US troops sent in to do the dirty work of the military-industrial complex.

“The simple truth is this: During my first deployment, I was made to participate in things, the enormity of which is hard to describe. War crimes, crimes against humanity,” wrote Somers. “Though I did not participate willingly, and made what I thought was my best effort to stop these events, there are some things that a person simply can not come back from. I take some pride in that, actually, as to move on in life after being part of such a thing would be the mark of a sociopath in my mind. These things go far beyond what most are even aware of.”

However, the root causes are laid bare in Somers’ suicide note. US troops are being ordered to commit atrocities so vile that the only way many of them can cope with the horror of what they have done is by killing themselves.

Examples of atrocities aided directly or indirectly by US troops in Iraq include;

- Orders to slaughter “all military age men” during some operations;

- Torturing detainees – many of whom had never engaged in combat and were totally innocent - at grisly prison camps across the country;

- Raping and torturing children at the infamous Abu Ghraib detention facility while they shrieked in terror. Women forced to watch later begged to be killed.

- Sodomizing detainees with chemical lights and broom sticks;

- Indiscriminately
firing upon and killing journalists and children from the air

- Massacring entire groups of unarmed Iraqis, including children and the elderly in Hadith.

“This is what brought me to my actual final mission. Not suicide, but a mercy killing,” wrote Somers, adding that him living “any kind of ordinary life is an insult to those who died at my hand.”

Read Somers’ full suicide note below, obtained by Gawker and published with his family’s permission

I am sorry that it has come to this.

Iraq Vet Kills Himself After Being Ordered to

Still think we're the good guys?
I fell sorry for the poor guy, but do you think someone so turned around that he'd take his own life maybe just maybe has a less than full grasp of reality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies