Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 12:55 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Um, Madela HIMSELF admitted to this to the Truth and Reconciliation commission. You really should read more on the topic because it's complex.

I applaud Mandela for his reconciliatory tone after the end of aparthied and his tireless efforts and years in prison. However, one has to be utterly and completely uninformed not to know about mandela heading the military wing of the ANC prior to his incarceration and that not all they did was pure and innocent.
I know plenty. But what I also know is that the Vorster/Botha regime made it impossible for the ANC and Umkhonto we Sizwe to do anything else but resist militarily. Talking wasn't doing a damn thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Geez what is in the water in the US?

Mandela was no saint. On his release, his first speech was one of nationalising everything, he became a saint once Tutu had helped him right and then went with the reconciliatory attitude.

It was white "racists" like me that voted YES to his release and inclusion of blacks in the political dispensation with the full knowledge it would be giving up the reigns of power. It was "racists" like me that previously voted YES to include coloured (mixed race) and asians in the govt process.

Had we "racists" not felt a twang of collective guilt on how our forefathers had reacted, then he would now be dead or dying in jail.

Yes things were better under the whites, even the lowliest of blacks here admit that. Why? Well back then, most had jobs and job security albeit not the "typical" expectation of a career. Everyone is struggling now and b/c of the wonderful AA and BEE and gender equality programs enforced by the new govt, the whole system has gone into the crapper. Only a few card carrying ANC "jobs for mates" blacks have risen to the level of "new rich" and they are by no ways investing back into the community. White "racist" controlled businesses with their head offices now in the UK, USA and AUS still pay the bulk of the income taxes. White "racists" still pay the majority of PAYE taxes as they tend to have real jobs and real addresses not some vague plot number in a township where not even the black police dare to venture in at night.

If there was a place south of SA that whites could have fled to, SA would already be Zim2.0.

As it is in Zim, the dichotomy still exists and "racist" whites still run the economy. The govt is a mere puppet one that does squat for the have nots. In fact the have nots, all came to the cities as the govt instituted and interfered with long established beneficial relationships with their labourers of white "racist" farmers.

I have already posted what happens here with so called black land claims and how incompetent the claimants are to simply maintain that which is given to them on a silver platter.

Fortunately, by the time SA goes the way of ALL other independent African countries, this "racist" white will be dead. Imaginary god help my kids and their kids.
Did you ever actually talk to a black person during apartheid? Other than your servants, I mean.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:58 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Not all "whites" in South Africa share your views, nor you paternalistic view of what "you" "gave" people, that should have already been theirs in the first place!
Yup, w/o the white settlers, where would the blacks be? It was as history so evidently records, WHITES that explored the new worlds and brought western civilisation to them. Yes they did eff up and I do not condone the methods but why should whites now bear some collective guilt of stuff we had no say in or influenced.

What was their's LoL You do know that only the bushmen are indigenous to SA, ALL the rest are migrants just like we were. We just had better weapons.

One would think if all things were equal, why could they not simply continue with that which they were left with. How hard is it to sustain an established infrastructure?

There is a reason you are in the USA and NOT in Zim any more, care to tell us why? That is rhetorical.

I have a number of previous black employees in the US and UK now that contacted me and thanked me for my neutrality and fairness. Even they knew there is no future for them or their descendants here. Guess what? They are all successful now. Why? I actually transferred knowledge and did not hire them on quota requirements set down by govt.

This is why Africa has failed its people, quick fixes are expected and that is not how it works in the real world.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Yes better under apartheid. Sharpville massacre, perhaps you missed the recent strikes at Amplats where blacks killed their own "kind" using the same tactics. They are no different to what the "racist" white police had to contend with. I know, I was trained in riot drill and when this branch of police are called in, there in no room for negotiations, you are ordered to shoot to kill. Never did it here but same tactics in my old country Rhodesia.

While we are at pointing fingers, your US cops do not pass muster as far as humane goes either. I read more of cops in the US doing bad stuff than what happened or happens here.

Pretty pointless citing a Wiki to someone born and raised here in Africa. I have lived the history you only think you know.
Most Americans will agree with you, not debate you on this point, though I don't think we can go tit for tat on police atrocities. Problem is, that still doesn't excuse any of your pro-apartheid blathering.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Not all "whites" in South Africa share your views, nor you paternalistic view of what "you" "gave" people, that should have already been theirs in the first place!
I love that. Take from someone, give them .05% of what was theirs and then tell them they should be thankful.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:12 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Safer for who? Nicer for who?

Not the vast majority of South Africans.
It wasn't good for Black people. It was a dictatorship.

And then there are these other things:

The apartheid government spent far more money on White education than on Black education.
Apartheid said "Blacks and Whites must attend separate schools, and that is a government decree".
Black schools were often in poor conditions compared to what White schools were.
Teachers assigned to Black schools were often less knowledgeable than teachers assigned to White schools.
Blacks were not allowed to live in certain places, and this was required by the government. They were put in "homelands" by force. Go look up Dimbaza.
Under the National Party, television was basically banned as it was perceived as a threat to Afrikaners. The government didn't care about what happened to Black people. It was introduced to South Africa in 1976.
Blacks were required to carry passbooks, noting where they lived and what they did. This law was not applied to White South Africans.
Blacks could not vote in national elections.
Certain books were not allowed during apartheid. Alan Paton, a famous South African author, his works were not allowed in South Africa because they criticized apartheid.

What kind of government would do these things?

Old 06-27-2013, 01:14 PM

502 posts, read 717,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Problem is, that still doesn't excuse any of your pro-apartheid blathering.
He hasn't made any "pro-apartheid blathering". Stop putting words in his mouth. He is stating the obvious reality that it's not exactly been all flowers-and-rainbows for SA since the fall of apartheid and that some things have in fact worsened.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
He hasn't made any "pro-apartheid blathering".
Really? He didn't say this?

Quote:
Yes better under apartheid. Sharpville massacre, perhaps you missed the recent strikes at Amplats where blacks killed their own "kind" using the same tactics. They are no different to what the "racist" white police had to contend with. I know, I was trained in riot drill and when this branch of police are called in, there in no room for negotiations, you are ordered to shoot to kill. Never did it here but same tactics in my old country Rhodesia.

Quote:
Stop putting words in his mouth.
Really? Learn to read.

He also said:

Quote:
Yes things were better under the whites, even the lowliest of blacks here admit that.
So what I see here is one apologist for apartheid speaking up for another.

Quote:
He is stating the obvious reality that it's not exactly been all flowers-and-rainbows for SA since the fall of apartheid and that some things have in fact worsened.
Really? I'd rather live 1,000 years in today's South Africa than 1 day under apartheid.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:37 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
So you are also saying that racial minorities in South Africa should have just accepted their lot in life. You would have supported the continuation of institutionalized racism?
It worked.

Sorry.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It worked.

Sorry.
You, sir.....have some serious problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies