U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 11:20 PM

3,406 posts, read 7,557,377 times

Advertisements

I have been using the word uppity for a while now to describe my hometown because the natives of it (myself included) have a reputation for being snobby, demanding, and we complain about anything that seems to be un-PC. Whatever, it is what it is .

My friend recently told me to stop using the word uppity because it is racist. I was shocked because I had no idea it was considered racist. He told me its origins are from when African Americans rose above being poor, and gained some status and were described by racist people as "uppity".

Is the word "uppity" racist? Should it not be used? Does anyone know the facts on this? Thanks.

EDIT: Also, if you're African American: Do you find this word offensive?

I'm not racist and I had no idea this word was seen as racist at all. I'm wondering if its just among the OVERLY PC crowd or if its among most decent Americans as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 11:21 PM

30,693 posts, read 33,456,199 times
It's used by some in racist ways. Usually you can tell when the only time it get's used is when talking about minorities, especially black people. I don't know why it's tied to racism but that's reality. It's a perfectly fine word however so use it often, wherever it works. NEVER let anyone convince you otherwise. I used it when my kids were little to describe them being little brats, it seemed like a kinder word.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:27 PM

6,156 posts, read 4,147,369 times
Yes, it can have racist connotations, but I wouldn't say it's one of the worst, it can still be used appropriately in semi-compliance with political correctness.

Among the "overly PC crowd" as you put it, practically anything can be construed as racist (such as peanut butter and jelly sandwiches), so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:36 PM

310 posts, read 218,322 times
Uppity these days is almost never used with racist connotations. Feel free to use it, and if somebody gets mad either apologize and inform them that you didn't mean it that way or tell them to **** off.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:38 PM

21 posts, read 11,546 times
You would have to attach the word to a racial group in order for it to be "racist."

I'm assuming you mean rich white and/or asian people when you say "uppity" correct? If so, then it could possibly be a racial epithet.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:09 AM

3,846 posts, read 1,961,301 times
Rich white people sometimes like to go slummin'.

They just being lowity.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:31 AM

3,406 posts, read 7,557,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stAmendment1st View Post
You would have to attach the word to a racial group in order for it to be "racist."

I'm assuming you mean rich white and/or asian people when you say "uppity" correct? If so, then it could possibly be a racial epithet.

Yes its a neighborhood that is mostly white and asians

Old 06-27-2013, 12:37 AM

10,653 posts, read 9,036,543 times
I get so frustrated at this new trend towards words that are and are not deemed acceptable. As a lover of literature and writing, I find words to be a tool to convey an idea and nothing else. So, my answer to this is that it is all about the context. A negative connotation of a word can be gleaned from context and the converse is true as well. If you utilize the word in a racist manner, then it has a racist connotation. The word by itself is an adjective, nothing more, nothing less.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:23 AM

6,156 posts, read 4,147,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDecker30 View Post
Uppity these days is almost never used with racist connotations. Feel free to use it, and if somebody gets mad either apologize and inform them that you didn't mean it that way or tell them to **** off.
I like this one.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:52 AM

23,290 posts, read 11,531,083 times
uppity to me simply means you think you are better than others.

never really looked at it as racial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies