Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 01:23 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,225 times

Advertisements

To say only older people can be ignorant or hateful, is ageist, I agree.

8,982 posts, read 10,456,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtysixer View Post
His advancements he made in science is completely seperate from the fact that he's gay.
Except for all of the discoveries that he would undoubtedly have made if he hadn't been thrown into jail for being gay. That does have a way of interfering with a person's productivity.

1,466 posts, read 1,228,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
If you are young - eventually you have to think for yourself...but it seems that there is a trend against individualism these days...I can't describe how the SAME the Hipsters and their progressive allies are. They look the same- they act the same- they think the same...they don't want to know- They do not want real knowledge or wisdom. These Hipster Liberal Progressives...want to avoid THINKING....as some of them said...We just want to have fun.
Actually there is a trend TOWARD individualism. That's what hipsters are trying to trend toward. I realize, though, that in the process of trying to be individuals, most hipsters end up conforming anyway. But all of us conform to one group or another, at least to a certain extent.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The left is just disappointed that not every peon who passed through their public liberal indoctrination centers from K-12 left as a brainwashed sheeple trained to do the bidding of their Democratic masters.

It astonishes them that you have the capability to reason, think critically and independently, and hold opinions that differ from the intended imprint of the attempted brainwashing to which you were subjected.
What a hateful thing to say.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:27 PM

502 posts, read 717,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
What are you talking about, because mosr people my age are not with you on this issue, we cant think for ourselves. Your beyond delusional.
I think he's getting at how myopic and cookie-cutter these liberal causes and their young supporters can be. Someone else in here also made a good post about people growing up and learning to think for themselves beyond any kind of "left" or "right" indoctrination. This thread has soundly demonstrated pro-gay zealotry and intolerance for the other side and even people of a relatively neutral/apathetic stance. I blame it on the idealism of youth, the insulated-ness of college towns and left-leaning urban enclaves, and the social isolation of Americans in the internet age.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthsideTillIDie View Post
Being young in the midst of this gay agenda is TOUGH, the pressure, the influence,it's just gets too much sometimes. Sometimes it feels overwhelming. Older people don't know what we're going through.
Congratulations! You now realize what it's been like to be gay in just about every place and time throughout human history.

Imagine going through life having to censor yourself constantly, unable to say a simple thing like "my boyfriend" in public for fear of being harassed, beaten, jailed, and/or killed. Yet that -- and not your fear of retaliation or whatever it is that's making you so sad and paranoid -- is still the overwhelming reality on most of the planet.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:30 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,228,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The left is just disappointed that not every peon who passed through their public liberal indoctrination centers from K-12 left as a brainwashed sheeple trained to do the bidding of their Democratic masters.

It astonishes them that you have the capability to reason, think critically and independently, and hold opinions that differ from the intended imprint of the attempted brainwashing to which you were subjected.
I'm certainly not surprised, seeing as many kids are spoonfed conservative opinions at home. The doses they get from their parents are a lot larger than the ones at school, especially in rural areas where even the schools are conservative.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:34 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtysixer View Post
His advancements he made in science is completely seperate from the fact that he's gay. The two are seperable.
Actually, no.

Thanks to homophobes - who I'm sure felt justified in their own minds - being in power, Alan Turing was hounded out of his field, forced to undergo "treatment" and ultimately committed suicide at age 41. A mind like that, destroyed by prejudice and ignorance. Imagine what he could have done if not surrounded by troglodytes?

In the meantime, I feel quite safe assuming that your contributions to further "the growth of humanity" rather pale compared to Turing's.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:36 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
I blame it on the idealism of youth.
Gotta laugh at this... you do realize that "idealism" connotes something positive, right? And you're mocking young people for wanting something positive and assuming that one day they'll grow out of it and become hateful conservatives like other adults, correct?

Old 06-27-2013, 01:37 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,129,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthsideTillIDie View Post
What is up with the mentality? People go crazy when a 20 something guy like me doesn't support the gay movement as if it is absolutely required for anyone under 30 to succumb to the gay influence. Like people in their 20's and under don't have a choice to make up their mind. It's like everytime the gays are handing out fliers around town, they make sure to give one to people in their 20's and below like, "you're young you MUST support us", dude get the *** out of my face. My college campus is also flooded with this too. It's like the gay movement is trying to monopolize the views of my generation by trying to create the image that resistance to the gay agenda is an "old person" thing. 20's something men and women have to be down with this, really? Being young in the midst of this gay agenda is TOUGH, the pressure, the influence,it's just gets too much sometimes. Sometimes it feels overwhelming. Older people don't know what we're going through. Some of us young people just want to be left alone and they KEEP bothering us relentlessly.
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too:
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream — and not make dreams your master;
If you can think — and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same:.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build'em up with worn-out tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings,
And never breathe a word about your loss:
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings — nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And which is more; you'll be a Man, my son!

-Rudyard Kipling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies