Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 05:55 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
“With today’s decision, the State’s voter ID law will take effect immediately," Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott said in a statement. "Redistricting maps passed by the Legislature may also take effect without approval from the federal government.”

In blocking those redistricting maps last year, a separate panel of federal judges ruled that the government "provided more evidence of discriminatory intent than we have space, or need, to address" in their opinion. Attorney General Eric Holder cited the Texas redistricting case in his statement criticizing the Supreme Court's ruling.

Harsh Texas Voter ID Law 'Immediately' Takes Effect After Voting Rights Act Ruling

So they're gonna enact measures that they couldn't have before with the Voting Rights act. That says a hell of a lot
What is "harsh" about voter ID laws? They ensure the integrity of elections. We have been showing a photo ID when we vote here in Ohio ever since I can remember. It's no big deal.

We have too much voter fraud going on in America today, and it must be stopped.

Secondly, the practice of "redistricting" is done by both parties. This is nothing new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 06:00 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
In a legal fashion though, it's fancy legal word is "redistricting"
They did that here in Wisconsin to the benefit of the GOP, and I expect more of the same before 2016.

Here's an article on the subject.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/15/us...anted=all&_r=0
The practice of redistricting is done by both Parties, and this has been going on in every state of the Union for many, many years. The Party in power gets to draw the lines. That's the way it has always been. When Democrats are the Party in power, the get to do the redistricting to suit themselves.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:37 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
When the state photo id center is 12 miles away and you don`t own a car...yes that`s an attempt to suppress the vote.Right from the state republican leader`s mouth.What more do you need?
My polling place is 5 miles away, in a little country school. Nobody comes around to take me there like the Demoncraps do in some big cities.
If they can use 12 passenger vans to transport voters, they can use them to take people to get the ID cards!
If they can go door-to-door to make sure people are registered to vote, they can take them to get the ID cards!
I have to show a picture ID and sign in to vote. It creates no hardship at all. I find all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over voter ID to be extremely funny.
Eisenhower was right: The middle of the road IS best; the extremes, left and right, are in the gutter!

Old 06-28-2013, 06:46 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Excellent piece here on the atrocious ruling by the Supreme Court. Roberts can finally breathe easy now in reviving Jim Crow. Quite a shame.

Bob Cesca: Supreme Court Helps the GOP Revive the Era of Jim Crow
"Excellent piece" and Huff Post are usually exclusive of each other.

This is one of those cases.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:46 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
SCOTUS just said that the reasons why those measures(past history going back decades) are not valid.

Tell Harrier, why should South Carolina in the year 2013 be subject to certain federal regulations, yet Massachusetts in 2013 should not?

Explain your reasons, please.
Here would be mine.

SCOTUS Deals a Blow to The Voting Rights Act

South Carolina: Home Of Hate Crimes, Homophobia, Racism, And Hypocrisy | The New Civil Rights Movement

Then there's your assertion that the racism that required these measures no longer exists. That, of course, is laughable unless you've been living under a rock. Blatant racism is in the news every day. And I don't have time to list a bunch of them, so I think I'll sum it up with this.

Obama, Ex Girlfriend Bleeding Shooting Targets Created By NRA Convention Vendor Zombie Industries Draw Controversy [PHOTOS] [VIDEO] : News : Latin Times

Old 06-28-2013, 08:56 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,526 times
Another thread on the SCOTUS ruling? There are already at least 5.

I will present the same invitation is this thread as I have in several of the others:

Can any person opposing the SCOTUS ruling clearly indicate how any of the current voter ID laws, either those passed in places like Indiana, or proposed in places like Texas equate to any degree of voter suppression? I have asked, and have yet to receive anything even approaching a credible answer. If a state proposed legislation requiring a photo ID vote, and includes provisions to provide the required ID completely free of charge, then how is that impacting the rights or abilities of any legally qualified citizen to participate in the electoral process?

Old 06-28-2013, 08:59 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Excellent piece here on the atrocious ruling by the Supreme Court. Roberts can finally breathe easy now in reviving Jim Crow. Quite a shame.

Bob Cesca: Supreme Court Helps the GOP Revive the Era of Jim Crow
Right - because now black people will be denied a vote. Such drama, based on hysteric lies and the desperate ignoring of the facts. The FACT is that times have changed, and in southern states, minorities are represented more than non. Asking for ID is NOT suppression. Early voting is NOT suppression. Standing outside a voting booth brandishing a weapon IS, however. But no mention of that by lefties.

The left is up in arms because lefties will only be able to vote once.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:01 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
In a legal fashion though, it's fancy legal word is "redistricting"
They did that here in Wisconsin to the benefit of the GOP, and I expect more of the same before 2016.

Here's an article on the subject.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/15/us...anted=all&_r=0
Thank goodness. Now they can fix the gerrymandering that benefited the Dems.

Let the states decide. Keep the feds out of state election practices.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:01 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Vote early and vote often.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
My polling place is 5 miles away, in a little country school. Nobody comes around to take me there like the Demoncraps do in some big cities.
If they can use 12 passenger vans to transport voters, they can use them to take people to get the ID cards!
If they can go door-to-door to make sure people are registered to vote, they can take them to get the ID cards!
I have to show a picture ID and sign in to vote. It creates no hardship at all. I find all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over voter ID to be extremely funny.
Eisenhower was right: The middle of the road IS best; the extremes, left and right, are in the gutter!
You have to show proof of ID to get on welfare programs.
You will have to show proof of ID to get Obamacare insurance.

We hear no outrage about that do we ?

Only about voting and only from the Dems.

So fire up ACORN and have them get their IDs like they got their voter registration cards.
If the Dems are so worried that their party doesn't have IDs then they need to do something about it rather than sit and whine that "it's not fair".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies