Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 11:06 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,381,739 times

Advertisements

It must be jarring for Obama to be exposed to protests no matter how fringe that is mostly Black. He is used to near 100% adulation from Blacks here at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 11:14 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,570,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
So? I'm Puerto Rican and I never use words like negro or ****** or any other racist words. It's disgusting, and shame on black people who use those words amongst themselves as well
Then how do you call blacks "black" in Spanish? Negro is not a slur word -- not really or completely - yet.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,570,473 times
I think Obama and Hillary should take their vacations in Syria or Egypt and without bodyguards.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:35 AM

18,151 posts, read 15,578,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
I can only speak for myself but I think many whites have the same conclusions.

In the 70s and 80s we were in the midst of a cold war between the US and the USSR and it was fought on the battlefields by proxy in Africa.

My homeland then Rhodesia, and now SA were a real powerhouse back then. The settlers had revolted against the throne and as time progressed they surrendered states but still kept control of the natural resources. Head office simply moved back to the US and UK.

When I left in Jan 81 from the new Zimbabwe, a year old by that time, the Zim dollar was the strongest currency in the world followed by the Rand. The GBP was artificially the strongest b/c they took the pound and divided it by 100 and the rest had used the 10 shillings and divided by 100. I got ZAR1200 for my Z$1000 I was allowed to leave with on a faux 3 month holiday as a single man.

We produced in the region upward of 60% of the world's gold in the early 80s. Stands to reason we had power back then. That would not do for the US and UK powers that be so sanctions.

We were on our way to righting the wrongs of our forebearers and probably would have worked out a longer transition to majority rule with proper transfer of power and knowledge. This evolutionary aspect was never allowed to happen which is sad as even in my early 20s, I was not overtly racist even though my dad was.

Under apartheid which means simply separate but equal, blacks, unlike Coloureds and Indians had land and were autonomous and heavily subsidised by the white government. In Rhodesia we had similar places called tribal trust lands. That would roughly equate to your native Indian reservations. In the 80s, I felt no threat to travelling through these regions and we had to have a passport in many cases. Schools were built with the best facilities available. In my late wife's hometown, they built two huge schools for the blacks and were the most modern. In my hometown, Mpilo hospital in a black township was the most advanced and modern and even us whities went there for special treatments and tests.

The picture that was presented in the US was that we were keeping them back but is very far from the truth.

Our "house boy" in the 70s never wore shoes despite us giving him them to wear. He was a first or second generation of his family to have some education.

I use this analogy. Both my grandfathers had cars in the 30s. My dad serviced his own car and taught me, I actually stripped engines down on my own cars and refurbished them. This is a natural evolution of transfer of knowledge and improvement on predecessors.

When the white settlers came to Africa, they locals had not even discovered the wheel. Enter a new and foreign way of doing things and you already have a huge disparity from the onset.

What has gone horribly wrong in Africa is that the new leaders are trying to redress what they see as discrimination and apply a quick fix. I saw with my own eyes black folk that would excel in theory but when it came to practical and application, there was just a huge gap. It is that car thing that is missing.

Oddly enough, my career has always involved blacks in one aspect or another and I made a point of talking to them and still do. My last gardener is now in his 60s and has buried most of his kids (AIDS). Their traditions is that the kids should care for you in old age (kinda like your how your SS works) but now is rearing 8 grand children, He and his wife still have to work as common labourers and their employers are still white folk. He states emphatically, it was better under white rule.

My occasional partner in business is also black and younger than me, he too is of the same opinion. Simple folk like me have never really mistreated the black folk. You have to remember, brought up with privilege, it is much the same as it is with white folk in the US.

This is getting too long now but ask more questions if I have not addressed them.

I will say, the Brits invented apartheid, the Afrikaner merely assigned a name to it.

Am I glad it is gone? Yes but I would have preferred more time to transition. At the end of the day, we all have pretty much the same desires that our kids make it a tad better than we did. We are after all, all humans.
Good read. Pretty well covers it. One, certain, minor but interestin thing I remember reading about keeps popping into my head. The core issue is not really minor, just specific circumstances. Poaching. The program I was watching, and a couple articles I read, were following a program that was utilizing bush tribesmen as game wardens. The government paid them, medical services, general living condition improvements, etc, in exchange for their services. Making poachers disappear. Something they were quite effective at, thus your game herds were not very heavily damaged by poachers.

When the power shifted, they said this was one of the first things chopped from budget. So, the poachers have returned, and there are a lot of problems for the herds and the bushmen. I was curious, as to how much of this is actual fact and if so exactly how bad its gotten.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:40 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,849,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
We'll trade you one Obama for one Mandela ?
We'll even throw in biden and a few of the hot democrat chicks, Nancy and a few more hotties... They have plenty to spare

Old 06-29-2013, 12:12 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,199,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Good read. Pretty well covers it. One, certain, minor but interestin thing I remember reading about keeps popping into my head. The core issue is not really minor, just specific circumstances. Poaching. The program I was watching, and a couple articles I read, were following a program that was utilizing bush tribesmen as game wardens. The government paid them, medical services, general living condition improvements, etc, in exchange for their services. Making poachers disappear. Something they were quite effective at, thus your game herds were not very heavily damaged by poachers.

When the power shifted, they said this was one of the first things chopped from budget. So, the poachers have returned, and there are a lot of problems for the herds and the bushmen. I was curious, as to how much of this is actual fact and if so exactly how bad its gotten.
Poaching is a huge problem here and yes you are right, they did not deem this important initially. The main culprits are Mozambicans but we have had our fair share of low life whites involved too.

Now poachers are shot on site, there is no mercy and the black folk who do hold nature dear to their hearts will kill you if you are found where you should not be. We still utilise them.

The problem are the Chinese that think Rhino horn is medicinal or an aphrodisiac. Govt funding has all but dried up and current initiatives are privately sponsored. If you care, there are many FB groups which you can donate to. Ivory is also in demand in China who do not subscribe to the international ban. Huge outcries have resulted in deployment of air force helicopters.

The legacy of Africa is sadly one where b/c of the failure to either maintain and develop has resulted in looking for the easiest way to survive. A lot of "comrades" from the bush wars still have their AK47s and will hunt to extinction anything that moves. They will also do this merely to stay alive. Ghana is a prime example of the lack of simple wildlife like baboons which should be in abundance. All you see there are crows, vultures and the occasional dead rat for offer alongside the road from local poachers. I only saw 3 domestic dogs there in my many business visits. Here in SA you still see many dogs and cats in the townships but here there is food available thanks to the persevering white farmers. I know, my late wife worked for the SPCA and I went with her on many call outs to the township we have here.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:15 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,867,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
So? I'm Puerto Rican and I never use words like negro or ****** or any other racist words. It's disgusting, and shame on black people who use those words amongst themselves as well
Uh; "negro" ain't racist, it's the Spanish word for "black". Too; Vinny del Negro was the coach of Da Bulls out of Chicago and he's "white". LOL

Old 06-29-2013, 12:17 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,867,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
We'll trade you one Obama for one Mandela ?
Uh; Mr Mandela would be the better deal for us tho he's quite old and sick.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:21 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,514,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
no one hates a mulatto more than a negro.
wow. ignorant and offensive in one sentence. you're a superstar!

Old 06-29-2013, 12:23 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,514,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
I'm mulatto, I hate back. change your CPID to thetotallybrainwashed, you lemming.
you're "mulatto" and you think "negroes" hate you? you better get off your computer, you're going to miss your flight back to the 1800s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies