Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 07:18 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,780,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Texas appears to have some over the top "police state" issues.
Harsh Punishment for Misbehavior in Texas Schools | PBS ...
Did you read what you linked?

A judge in a small town put a teen in jail for ONE day after the kid had skipped school multiple times & had been warned not to skip again. That is a "police state" issue?? (imo, as long as the kid is safely in his own cell for the day, the judge is doing the kid, the small town & the kid's parents a favor).

In this case the kid's actions put him in jail (for one freaking day), since the parent(s) apparently couldn't get his attention.

This link has nothing in common with the OP scenario.

- One kid was a dumb a**, the other a habitual truant.
- One kid has been in jail for months... for being stupid, the other kid was in jail one day.
- A Judge (elected by the small town) sentenced a truant to jail for one freaking day...for something the kid actually did, & the other kid (whose crime was being a dumba**) was arrested, by police (hasn't been convicted) for an inaccurately perceived "threat" & is still rotting in jail.

The PBS link is NOT an example of a police state, it's a singular example of a small town judge demonstrating some logical semi-tough love. On the other hand....The police's (& half of the posts in this thread) reaction to a dumba**'s perceived threat (posted on Facebook with LOL's & JK) is also NOT an example of a police state. It's an over the top, over-reacation of a nanny state (in this case - the city of austin) imposing it's political correctness. This is a political entity that is clueless half the time & flat out wrong the other half of the time.

Let the kid do some community service (make him tell his story to 2 dozen middle school assemblies or something else constructive) & let the kid go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 07:20 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,780,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Did this really happen? Half the Crap on the net is fake.

And the dude was 18. Yes young and dumb. He should of just been watched or had a cop go to his house with a warning.

Sad that it was over a video game.
Agreed.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:12 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,763,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Beats the hell out of me. Foxes?
Freedom of speech my dear, freedom of speech.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/29237173-post10.html

I find irony in that you may exercise freedom of speech, but you still need to watch what you say, type or post virtually anywhere, look what's happened to Paula, and Mel Gibson, Don Imus, and a few others.
Freedom of speech my butt.

Meh, I think you're over the top with this post. Remove the tin foil hat for a moment.

Actually, people need to think about what they're posting on the internet, some things are taken seriously by government officials, yuk yuk, yeah, isn't it funny when people talk on the internet about killing a president or killing lawmakers? Might be idle BS to some, but there isn't anything funny about making comments of what people wish would happen, at least to government people. It's exactly those types of nuts that are the reasons why some of the people, much like yourself, take this so lightly, and why Americans believe they no longer have any privacy.
The issue is government which is the only entity that freedom of speech applies. Paula and Mel etc. are not protected from being persecuted by anyone except the gov. That goes for here on C-D. We have no rights against those that operate the forums.

Now this kid is in trouble because the government didn't like what he said. This is serious stuff.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
I started following Justin's case over in the Texas forum, but this seems to be the relevant "larger issue" forum. I located the authorities who are involved, the case#, etc.
Texas teen

What I'm wondering now is are those authorities breaking laws themselves with their actions? i'm no lawyer, though. how about False Imprisonment? Would Justin's attorney have to file a complaint with the U.S. Attorney General for that? What recourses to abuse of authority do citizens have, other than the change.org petition?
Instead of going through the other thread and guessing at your point, can you tell us why you think the authorities are breaking the law?

It cannot be false imprisonment. Once someone is charged with a crime they have the right to a hearing (this is what you see on the T.V. news when someone pleads guilty or innocent). That hearing or the one after it if not combined is for the court to determine probable cause and to determine how serious the crime and likely flight risk someone is.

What I'm getting at is that after those hearing(s) you are no longer being held by the will of the police. You are being held because the court has bound you over for trial and you can't afford bail.

The U.S.A.G. has nothing to do with this. The change.org only does good to draw attention either for them to make money to help with the case or if they are lucky an attorney might step up and take the case for free or help out. Otherwise, he is doomed with a $500K bond until there's an actual trial.

There was suppose to be a hearing yesterday but I don't know what the outcome was.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:45 PM

690 posts, read 963,809 times
if there is not more to this story, i hope he gets out soon and sues TX into bankruptcy, by their retarded logic half of the posters here should be arrested
absolutely outrageous

Old 07-02-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
if there is not more to this story, i hope he gets out soon and sues TX into bankruptcy, by their retarded logic half of the posters here should be arrested
absolutely outrageous
Sue them for what? I mean Texas not the C-Ders.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:47 PM

690 posts, read 963,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Sue them for what? I mean Texas not the C-Ders.
for bs arrest! the kid is in jail for nothing

Old 07-02-2013, 03:49 PM

674 posts, read 1,055,456 times
Why don't we just raise our children to know that the massacre of children or anyone else for that matter isn't a laughing or sarcastic matter. As for thought crime, looks like the idiot posted it on Facebook and failed to read their privacy policy or be aware of the world he lives in. Most of the people behind shootings have announced on social media hours or days before they act. This kid is a moron.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
for bs arrest! the kid is in jail for nothing
He's in jail because a judge held a hearing and found probable cause to bind him over for trial. You can't sue for that.

Actually he could be out of jail if only he could come up with $50K.

If he were rich he wouldn't be in jail.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post
Why don't we just raise our children to know that the massacre of children or anyone else for that matter isn't a laughing or sarcastic matter. As for thought crime, looks like the idiot posted it on Facebook and failed to read their privacy policy or be aware of the world he lives in. Most of the people behind shootings have announced on social media hours or days before they act. This kid is a moron.
And when you brief your children also tell them not to talk to cops that want to ask them "about something" without a lawyer or mommy and daddy there. And mommy and daddy don't let your kid talk to the cops without a lawyer.

They are not after the truth. They are after you (at that point).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies