U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 02:59 PM

3,568 posts, read 2,111,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
No doubt in my mind that global warming is real.

The jury is still out if man contributed and perhaps more importantly, what, if anything, can be done about it.
My sentiments exactly!

IF "climate change" is going to have such dire consequences, why is it that there is NO government on the face of the Earth that is taking any action to minimize the inevitable destruction?
There are no seawalls being built, no preparations for making the tundra viable agricultural land when it thaws, NOTHING is being done!
WHY??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 03:15 PM

8,270 posts, read 2,443,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
During the Cretaceous and early Tertiary Periods the temperature at both poles ranged from 8°C to 10°C, and the equatorial region ranged from 25°C to 30°C. Icecap climates have only existed in ice ages. There have been at least five such ice ages in the Earth's past. Outside these ages, the Earth seems to have been ice free even in high latitudes. Our current ice age has lasted for 2.588 million years. Before that, both poles were completely ice free. When both poles become ice free again, this ice age will end. We are currently experiencing what is called the Holocene Interglacial Period which began 11,400 years ago. There have been ~50 such interglacial periods during the current ice age.

Sources:
The Antarctic Ice Sheet: Regulator of Global Climates? - JSTOR
Evaporites: Sediments, Resources, and Hydrocarbons - John K. Warren - Google Books

During the Precambrian Epoch (540+ million years ago) the Earth did indeed experience ice ages, very long ones. The Marinoan Glaciation is thought to have covered the entire planet in ice for millions of years - a "Snowball Earth." This occurred during the Cryogenian Period in the Neoproterozoic Era, some 650 to 635 million years ago.

Source:
Neoproterozoic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You got to hand it to Gore and his ilk. It's pretty freaking ballsy to convince humans they are the reason for these cooling/heating trends. Furthermore, that science could actually change the weather patterns. Like magicians, they'll magically bring back the ice and save the planet... all they need is our cash and a few generations. Did I say like a magician? What I meant to say was con artists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
My sentiments exactly!

IF "climate change" is going to have such dire consequences, why is it that there is NO government on the face of the Earth that is taking any action to minimize the inevitable destruction?
There are no seawalls being built, no preparations for making the tundra viable agricultural land when it thaws, NOTHING is being done!
WHY??

This is Gore's beach-front mansion that he purchased ($9M) after his dire oceans rising, the earth is doomed because of man forecasts. Nuff said, the truth is obvious. Would you spend $9M on beach-front property if you thought it would be decimated in a couple of decades?

Last edited by steven_h; 06-30-2013 at 03:25 PM..

Old 06-30-2013, 03:21 PM

13,074 posts, read 6,931,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You got to hand it to Gore and his ilk. It's pretty freaking ballsy to convince humans they are the reason for these cooling/heating trends. Furthermore, that science could actually change the weather patterns. Like magicians, they'll magically bring back the ice and save the planet... all they need is our cash and a few generations. Did I say like a magician? What I meant to say was con artists.
The radical administrations are backing away... albeit slowly.

CRU Abandons Yamal Superstick

If you aren't aware, Yamal was a single tree ring sample that was being used in the reconstructions because it showed "strong" warming as you can see below:

This is the reality without using such a single sample bias:

They are backing away, with observational temps showing a stale or decline of this length of time, it would be suicide for anyone to try to continue the "warming out of control" position.

Some still do, but... as I said, the "agencies and administrations" are slowly backing away. In the end, it will be crackpots continuing the memo as few will touch the position after a time.

Quote:
This is Gore's beach front mansion that he purchased ($9M) after his dire oceans rising, the earth is doomed because of man forecasts. Nuff said, the truth is obvious.
That is why every time I hear someone who owns beach front property complaining about this, I tell them I will buy their property pennies on the dollar, doing them a service because it will all be underwater soon. None will do so though, while they yammer, they don't believe what they are pushing.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:38 PM

8,270 posts, read 2,443,514 times
It's all about money, not the planet. These are the same people who would like to decimate the world population down to about 500M as well. Global warming, if true, would be the fast track to those ends. I wish they would make up their minds.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:43 PM

17,862 posts, read 11,887,441 times
Quote:

This is Gore's beach-front mansion that he purchased ($9M) after his dire oceans rising, the earth is doomed because of man forecasts. Nuff said, the truth is obvious. Would you spend $9M on beach-front property if you thought it would be decimated in a couple of decades?
Con-artist is right. Not only do they predict doom and gloom, but their only solution is to pretend that we do not exist by reducing our "carbon footprint." If we were serious about mitigating the effects of radical climate changes, we would be building sea-walls, creating plans to develop new agricultural areas that open up as a result of changes in the climate, and take other steps to ensure that we can transition to the new climate.

That tells me that they have absolutely no interest in adapting to a changing climate, this is solely about control and money.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:58 PM

4,077 posts, read 3,492,919 times
Last night I watched a 'Nova' program on PBS that showed how dozens of satellites are tracking dozens of different things that affect our weather. Dozens of things that humans have no and will NEVER have control. To think that an electric producing plant burning coal has any affect on a so called climate change is ridiculous.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:23 PM

13,074 posts, read 6,931,650 times
Quote:
It's all about money, not the planet. These are the same people who would like to decimate the world population down to about 500M as well. Global warming, if true, would be the fast track to those ends. I wish they would make up their minds.
Exactly, if you go WAY back to the original "Environmentalist" activist, you will see they are a religious following of the "earth mother" that believes man's presence on the earth is "overgrown" and needs to be purged. They were considered "Wackos" when they were known as the "Green Party", but over time they have infiltrated other parties to promote their agenda. Make no mistake, when environmental policies seem like they are detrimental to the well being and health of society, they are, that is the purpose, to establish a system that can not support our current growth and slowly degrade the numbers of population. More people dying, but whatever means is "good" for them. They want that, the less of "man", the better.

Thing is, they have become a culmination of other interests. Others seeking the power of such influence combined with the profitable nature of such implementation have resulted in an agenda that is mixed, and out of their control, though because the result will mean a reduction of society in its numbers, they continue along.

The kids you see on here supporting it are just sheep, following the various "good intention" aspects of the agenda. In the end, with enough propagandizing and miseducation, these "followers" will justify anything to be part of a group. All the while, those in power will use the eco-groups to achieve the ultimate result which is power over the people. These eco-groups are just a tool to gain that, and once they do... they will simply exterminate them as well.

We really are stupid people. /shrug
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies