Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 05:11 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,630,921 times

Advertisements

Crime and especially murder is too high in Texas for my tastes... I'd prefer a more 'law and order' state, one with a lower rate of murder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 04:50 AM

659 posts, read 1,373,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Blame all the problems on BUSH. Lame brain people.
I agree, let us no brain people blame it on some person at the bottom of the pile, anybody in mind?

Old 11-11-2007, 08:58 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,201 times
Default politicos II

When the politician have to admit there "maybe a recession looming ahead." You know your already in one.

Yahoo!

Last edited by baystater; 11-11-2007 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: wrong video link

Old 11-12-2007, 06:41 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,288,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Keep in mind that a large chunk of the military budget goes to cover retired servicemen's and -women' pensions, disabled veterans, medical care for active duty personnel and veterans, and the cost of recruitment -- which frees us from having a selective service system.
almost 1.5 billion dollars a DAY (+homeland security)? !!

walter reed?

recruiting difficulties?

carlyle group, lockheed martin, northrop grumman, blackwater, halliburton...?

is this money beiong well spent? 1.5 billion dollars a day??

Old 11-13-2007, 04:49 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,016,311 times
The country is on the verge of a recession (or in one) Some states like Florida and California are in recessions.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:18 AM

659 posts, read 1,373,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
The country is on the verge of a recession (or in one) Some states like Florida and California are in recessions.
It's just been admited over here in UK that property prices have fallen each of the last three months, yet two months ago they claimed it was level. After Northern Rock (run on bank for first time for 100 years) we all wait with baited breath for your next sub prime event early in 2008. Rumour has it here that larger banks are in some predicament, government last week said our underlying economy here and in the rest of western world is sound. Sounded like Alstaire Darling our chancellor was crossing his fingers when he claimed this.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
Is the economy doing OK? Yeah, for the people that owns it. The rest of us are hurting and going to hurt a lot more. Maybe we will all be able to make a living recycling the junk Wal-Mart has been selling to people that can't afford it.

The underlying problem is the wasteful militarism that only profits the war profiteers. Military spending as we have been doing is the ultimate non productive luxury and we cannot afford to keep wasting our money for this excess. We have far more important things to buy with our money. Like water resources and public health care.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:18 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,118,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
I agree.......the 'vibe' is definitely out there.

Admittedly; with the increasing self deportation of the illegal immigrants here in Arizona, some jobs may open up for US citizens/green card holders so the impact may be blunted here------at first.

My take on this recession is that it will be a long one, but not very deep.

Overall; envision between the Great Depression of 70 years ago and the downturn ca. 1981 for intensity.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:02 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
I envision a near complete economic collapse for the United States and a long drawn out recession for the rest of the world with the exception of China and India, which now have both the productive capacity and the markets within their own borders. I figure our currency will inflate to nearly valueless for international trade. Think $200+ per barrel for oil. The stock market will loose at least half its current value with the NASDEQ dropping by 60% or so. I also expect this to happen before 2010.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:59 PM

559 posts, read 1,322,925 times
I think that these stats on the economy means things are good for the rich, but the rest of us could be getting screwed. But who cares about "the rest of us", when the rich are getting richer and get more tax breaks, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies