U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-09-2007, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,500 posts, read 20,847,822 times
Reputation: 13776

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Healthy living to me is an investment in my future. Hopefully I will need less medical care. Already I see so many people my age (44) taking several prescription drugs, while I take none. You can't avoid all ailments even with a healthy lifestyle, but it sure can't hurt.
A very intelligent approach, and one I came to later in life than you have.

Don't let anyone dissuade you from your stand on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-09-2007, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Arizona
5,396 posts, read 7,059,389 times
Reputation: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Interesting! I do think a lot of people of our generation won't be able to live here on our measly SS and whatever will be there of our 401K's comfortably. So moving to Mexico will be a good alternative. I plan on taking some spanish lessons at the local college, I wouldn't move to Mexico and expect them to speak english to me . Of course a lot of things can change in the next 20 years, but it's something to think about.
Most people that work around these communities learn some English anyway, but plenty of time to learn Spanish! Check out this website. There are companies set up to do all the paperwork and make it a painless transition.

Retire - Top places to retire in Mexico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2007, 09:38 AM
 
Location: wrong planet
5,127 posts, read 10,243,029 times
Reputation: 4180
Yeledaf, see - we agree on some things ;-)!
preventing illness is usually so much cheaper than curing it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2007, 09:40 AM
 
Location: wrong planet
5,127 posts, read 10,243,029 times
Reputation: 4180
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Most people that work around these communities learn some English anyway, but plenty of time to learn Spanish! Check out this website. There are companies set up to do all the paperwork and make it a painless transition.

Retire - Top places to retire in Mexico
Thanks for that link. I'll be checking it out. Do you know people that have gone this route?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2007, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 35,140,093 times
Reputation: 4899
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Interesting! I do think a lot of people of our generation won't be able to live here on our measly SS and whatever will be there of our 401K's comfortably.
Social Security was never intended to provide for your retirement and I previously mentioned, in my case, I can never get social security or medicare -

As for your 401K (and hopefully other investments), take some intensive investment courses (in addition to Spanish) and manage your investments

You might be surprised what kinds of growth you can get if you were / are involved with your investments -

And heck - you are still a baby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2007, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,500 posts, read 20,847,822 times
Reputation: 13776
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Perhaps Yeledaf will send me a case. I love it rich, robust and red.
Aside from the better-known burgundies (which cost an arm and a leg and now a couple of extra fingers with the strong Euro!), and the great (but pricey) Bordeaux from Medoc, Paulliac, St. Emilion, etc., I recommend any of the good Cotes du Rhones. Always flavorful and satisfying, and they won't break the bank.

You can get good Cotes du Rhones at most local shops in the US. Here's a link for some more exotic information...

WINES OF THE TIMES; A Rhone With Substance, but No Pretense - New York Times

Here's a breezier link...

iJamming! featured wine region: Côtes du Rhône

I think I'll have a bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape tonight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2007, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,500 posts, read 20,847,822 times
Reputation: 13776
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Yeledaf, see - we agree on some things ;-)!
preventing illness is usually so much cheaper than curing it!
So young and yet so smart... About this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2007, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Journey's End
10,189 posts, read 24,878,042 times
Reputation: 3840
A rather sneaky way of getting out of buying it for me. (See thread in Food about wines).

And back to our regular broadcast:

US Healthcare System Comparison!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Aside from the better-known burgundies (which cost an arm and a leg and now a couple of extra fingers with the strong Euro!), and the great (but pricey) Bordeaux from Medoc, Paulliac, St. Emilion, etc., I recommend any of the good Cotes du Rhones. Always flavorful and satisfying, and they won't break the bank.

You can get good Cotes du Rhones at most local shops in the US. Here's a link for some more exotic information...

WINES OF THE TIMES; A Rhone With Substance, but No Pretense - New York Times

Here's a breezier link...

iJamming! featured wine region: Côtes du Rhône

I think I'll have a bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape tonight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2007, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Arizona
5,396 posts, read 7,059,389 times
Reputation: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Thanks for that link. I'll be checking it out. Do you know people that have gone this route?
I know one couple. They moved to a large American retirement community by a lake outside of Guadalajara, lake chapala. They love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2007, 10:00 AM
 
Location: wrong planet
5,127 posts, read 10,243,029 times
Reputation: 4180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Social Security was never intended to provide for your retirement and I previously mentioned, in my case, I can never get social security or medicare -

As for your 401K (and hopefully other investments), take some intensive investment courses (in addition to Spanish) and manage your investments

You might be surprised what kinds of growth you can get if you were / are involved with your investments -

And heck - you are still a baby
a baby, I WISH . Only have about 20 years left.
The 401K gives us the option of choosing between several plans, but I don't feel have real control, must look into it more. I also invest with PAX World Funds (IRA's) and last year we lost quite a bit of money, not very encouraging.
I do agree, I need to learn more about investing, is there a book/s you can recommend, or what is the best way?
The problem I see is that most companies don't offer pensions anymore and even though you are not supposed to rely on SS, what if there is a big stock market crash just before you retire? Then what? Scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top