Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 05:04 PM

21 posts, read 19,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
God will punish Anthony Kennedy and California in good time.
That's funny, since the bible belt is a favored target of natural disasters.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:12 PM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, it isn't being spiteful. I simply disagree with a traditional marriage for gays. What harm am I causing you and your personal life because I don't agree with you?
Ask this lovely woman what harm people like you caused her:

She shared her life - her home, her meals, and yes, her bed - with another person for over 40 years, said "I do" in front of a preacher (in Canada), shared sickness and health, better and worse. When her partner died, people like you insisted that although they'd shared their life and their possessions for over four decades, they obviously couldn't expect to be treated evenly in matters of estate, and so she was hit with a 300K tax bill - as if her partner had been a complete stranger.

As it happens, she had the resources and the guts to take up the fight, and the Supremes finally handed down the right verdict: That she shouldn't be relegated to a second-class marriage.

How Did Edith Windsor And Thea Spyer Meet - Business Insider

Do you begin to get it now? Because there are a sh.load of stories like that without the happy ending.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:32 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,197,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I have every right to object to laws and vote against laws I don't agree with just like you do. We live in a democracy you know. This isn't a freedom and equal rights issue to me.
It should be! Too many can't see that. No one has the right to pass any law that infringes upon the rights and freedom of others. You may disagree all you like, but you may not pass laws based on your religion, or personal opinions. The intelligent, and those who believe in the constitution will always fight against that kind of tyranny, as they should.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No one is making laws to stop you from speaking your mind.
No one is taking away your right to believe what ever you want.
No one is taking away your right to vote, however if you vote for an unconstitutional law, it will eventually be over ruled by the courts.

You are voting to take away my right to equal protection under the law.

AMENDMENT XIV

SECTION 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Why do you dislike the constitution?
EXACTLY!!!!

Old 07-01-2013, 05:42 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,763,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
EXACTLY!!!!
That's not been adjudicated. To say that it has is hubris.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
That's not been adjudicated. To say that it has is hubris.
I agree with it 100%, most logical people do, adjudicated or not. A poster has every right to state the constitution as a basis for his/her opinions.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:04 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,763,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I agree with it 100%, most logical people do, adjudicated or not. A poster has every right to state the constitution as a basis for his/her opinions.
Of course, but rubbing someone's nose in the Constitution as way to prove your point is just arrogant. But no one denies that's a right here.

Say it, don't spray it.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:07 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Of course, but rubbing someone's nose in the Constitution as way to prove your point is just arrogant. But no one denies that's a right here.

Say it, don't spray it.
Using the constitution to prove a legal point is arrogant? Seriously?

Old 07-01-2013, 06:23 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

The Empire State Building was even all lit up in rainbow colors:

I think that is so awesome! Love that picture!

And I'm not a sports fan (especially baseball), but I think this is wonderful, too:

Quote:
The Seattle Mariners have made history. After announcing they would do so earlier in the week, the professional baseball team became the first to ever fly a rainbow gay pride flag.

The historic event took place on June 30 at Safeco Field, only days after the Supreme Court made landmark decisions rule the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional and overturn Prop 8. The flag is included alongside flags for away team the Chicago Cubs and the American flag, and was placed on the pole where the Washington flag is usually hung.

It's not a coincidence that this LGBT-friendly move took place on the same day as Seattle's 39th annual Pride Parade. The Mariners have a history of supporting gay rights in the past, but have reportedly never been asked to fly the flag.
Quote:
Meanwhile, the City of Seattle has been flying the gay pride flag over City Hall since June 1 to celebrate gay pride month.
Mariners fly gay pride flag during game and make baseball history - Zap2it

Have I mentioned lately how much I love my state and how proud I am to live here?

Old 07-01-2013, 06:31 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Marriage is not about two people being together.
it is an oath to your god, that you will be with this person for the rest of one or the others life.
It is not to be taken lightly.
What about those of us who don't believe in god - your god or any god?

Does that mean we shouldn't be allowed to marry? Or that our marriages are invalid because we didn't make an oath to god?

My son got married three years ago. They were married, not in a church, but in a historic hotel by a "justice of the peace." Throughout the entire ceremony, there was not one word about god or anything else religious - no prayers, nothing. Would you like me to tell my son and daughter-in-law, that according to BentBow on City Data, they aren't really married? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies