Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 04:58 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
This is essentially my question.

We are supposed to have a government made up of the people and for the people. I won't say by the people because I don't believe it is.

The people have no say on how our own dollars are spent.

I have heard people that claim to be dems talk about how disaster victims, who have worked and lost it all through no fault of their own, should just suck it up and work harder to get out or put their own lives back together. Yet these same people talk of how we have to provide for others that do not provide for themselves. It's quite hypocritical.

Yet these politicians just throw money out of the country like drunken sailors, no offense to sailors.

I have lost faith in our government.
Between money wasted on a search and destroy mission based on weapons of mass destruction and foreign aid...You are talking trillion upon trillions of dollars...and the American elite point their fingers at poor struggling Americans - and call them lazy. Meanwhile they ship money out of the country that should be going into the country. <Money that should support the national family.

Just this morning my eldest daughter sent me an E-mail - She has just checked into her hotel in India...she will be there a few weeks then travel to Africa - then back to India then home. She works for an NGO...Her job in India will be to convince the rich elite THERE - to fund projects that will help their OWN fellow citizens. All nations have their rich and super rich no matter how poor we believe these nations to be.

NGOs are effective because they are hands on. My daughter will fly to different areas in Africa and India...once she is done - hundreds of people will have received a hand up and will sustain THEMSELVES for years to come...Once she leaves - things will be better.........In comparison...Once Obama leaves NOTHING will change.. All that will be left behind is the echoing and empty rhetoric of "Yes we can" - and the memory that a BLACK American president showed up to pretend he is Jesus - a figure that is all voice and no substance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 05:08 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Between money wasted on a search and destroy mission based on weapons of mass destruction and foreign aid...You are talking trillion upon trillions of dollars...and the American elite point their fingers at poor struggling Americans - and call them lazy. Meanwhile they ship money out of the country that should be going into the country. <Money that should support the national family.

Just this morning my eldest daughter sent me an E-mail - She has just checked into her hotel in India...she will be there a few weeks then travel to Africa - then back to India then home. She works for an NGO...Her job in India will be to convince the rich elite THERE - to fund projects that will help their OWN fellow citizens. All nations have their rich and super rich no matter how poor we believe these nations to be.

NGOs are effective because they are hands on. My daughter will fly to different areas in Africa and India...once she is done - hundreds of people will have received a hand up and will sustain THEMSELVES for years to come...Once she leaves - things will be better.........In comparison...Once Obama leaves NOTHING will change.. All that will be left behind is the echoing and empty rhetoric of "Yes we can" - and the memory that a BLACK American president showed up to pretend he is Jesus - a figure that is all voice and no substance.
Forgive me for not knowing, what is an NGO? If I'm understanding correctly, it is a private funded organization to help people help themselves? Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:12 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,370,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
and the fools of this nation voted him in, and then again....
Nah, I am still convinced that BO is president due to voter fraud.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:16 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
O has printed money. The counterfeiter in chief spreads some bling to Africa.

It's pathetic.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:17 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
First of all, thank you for a real account of what goes on as you are there and not merely speculating.

Am I understanding you correctly? Is money we are sending there simply being wasted? That is what I have read over the years but have never heard of anyone confirming or denying as you just have done.

I am appalled at a time when we have many Americans still without homes, power and jobs due to the economy and natural disasters, that we would blindly send money after a cause that has obviously proven to be futile with the corruption of leaders in foreign lands.

Who votes for this stuff? I am a tax payer and would much rather see my money going to Americans.

Once again this president is throwing money away that we just don't have.
I am not aware of any American investments here but am aware of Russian and Chinese ones.

What I described is the truth as where I stay we service two 3000MW and 3600MW stations, there are multiple mines and all of them are applying this BEE jobs for mates program, the comrades cannot run the show so white contractors are employed. They of course need a BEE "partner" owning 51% of the business. These BEE "partners" are the main proponents for the jobs for mates policy. What happens, his cut is inflated onto the price of tenders and this is passed onto the power stations as an increase in the cost of coal. The power stations also use white contractors with the BEE and then we as consumers bear the cost of this.

You sit with folk being paid for a job they are not qualified to do in the parastatals and now semi-nationalised mines. The gubmint owns the mineral rights and licences to operate a mine so they pretty much have no choice but to fall in line or get their license revoked.

These BEE "partners" are ANC card carrying extortionists and are the new millionaires and billionaires. They partner multiple white run enterprises so it is not like a one -one relationship. Unless you are connected to these "partners" you do not get on the tender list even if you have a legitimate partner that is black and say a contributing one to boot.

BEE is supposed to mean black economic empowerment but is just another scam of corrupt politicians many of whom get kickbacks from these BEE bruthas of theirs. Meanwhile back in the real world of the previously disadvantaged, their lot in life has gone downhill. Only these connected blacks are milking it.

It pretty much works like your protection rackets in the US when the mafia was/is running the show.

Oh and the white contractor has to meet a quota of blacks he employs. He cannot simply choose to use young white males leaving school.

My son whom I personally trained is working as a semi skilled electrician for one of these contractors. He works for $500 per month and starts at 7 and gets off at 5. He cannot get an apprenticeship or get in to simply go an write his trade test. Then he can earn what he is worth, $1,700 to 2,300 pm as a junior electrician. He has all the practical of over 7 years and yet is discriminated simply because he could not finish school (learning disability) and he is white. Being unemployed myself due to our FUBAR economy, folk do not look at someone my age. I used to be a training officer at the power station before I moved to New Works.

Now my son goes to the mine and replaces one fluorescent lamp and his boss charges $200. My son's hourly rate is $2.90. You kinda get the picture. He is being paid the minimum wage which is exactly what the black quota folk will get. That same lamp I would replace for say $30 for a private consumer. From that I would also pay my helper so I would get say $20.

It has all become join the system or get no work.

In the old days, we had a white dudes with three labourers driving in 10 ton trucks patrolling for potholes and fixing them. On that truck was tar, a furnace to heat it up, gravel, cutting machines, cones, compactor and a pothole took about 1 hour to repair. This was not a high paying job and has gone the way of the dodo bird.Now it goes out on tender. An inspektah will drive out in his beamer or merc, look at the potholes marked in white paint he has asked a contractor to tender on and then 5 months later once the potholes have increased in size and numbers, the job gets done. Well as they do not generally pay the contractors, folk are really not tendering anymore.

Another silly example I saw was a crew of black women with weed eaters trimming grass on the curbs of a road between my town and another one. This was in winter when the grass was already 4' high and dried out. Now in the old days, there were crews that went out and burned the grass. The crew had leather fire beaters to control the fire, they could do this entire 30km stretch in a week or so. This crew I saw were busy on a section of about 3-5km and they took 5 days. Well also in the old days, they would send tractors out and cut this grass short while still green and the burning was a mere stop gap to prevent bush fires and damage to farmers crops in the harvest season. Some farmers cut this grass themselves these days and burn it too.

These black folk back then were well paid and had leave and had medical insurance and and and. Now uneducated black folk no longer have these opportunities for menial labour. Consequently, petty crime rates have sky rocketed.

Simply put, a lot of stuff that happened under the radar, folk were not overtly aware of this happening unless you happened to pass a crew or a truck in your travels. Curbing maintenance is non existent, that is simply importing dolerite soil and grading and compacting that which was washed away. In some places, the drop is 12" or more. You dare not travel at night here anymore unless you really know the road very well.

There really is no valid reason why these services could not simply be continued and maintained, it is not rocket science.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:30 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
O has printed money. The counterfeiter in chief spreads some bling to Africa.

It's pathetic.
"Printing money" is done by the Federal Reserve and the Fed is an independent organization not reporting to the President. It is important to understand to accuse the President of printing money, which is a good policy in weak economies, can't be factual as it isn't part of his powers.

Besides, increasing the money supply has kept interest rates down and made it easy for businesses ad consumers to borrow, helping the economy. Why wouldn't one want this policy in a weak economy?

Old 07-01-2013, 05:42 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
The President seems to be pretty generous with our tax dollars when it comes to offering up 7 billion in aid to Africa. Why not offer that same money to our own infrastructure instead. Billions have already been wasted in Africa with very little to show for it.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:43 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,661,006 times
Obama goes off to Africa to help them with electricity, praising Mandela in every speech, and we the American people are suffering from budget cuts, hiring freeze, furloughed workers, failed bridges, etc.

We can't even afford fireworks on the 4th of July because of cuts!
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireS...1#.UdFs5LrD85s

Why do we continue to aid other countries who hate us, other than treaties that have been in effect for years. Why don't we break the treaties, as others have done to us, and put the money back in America?

Last edited by Ellwood; 07-01-2013 at 05:51 AM..

Old 07-01-2013, 05:55 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
"Printing money" is done by the Federal Reserve and the Fed is an independent organization not reporting to the President. It is important to understand to accuse the President of printing money, which is a good policy in weak economies, can't be factual as it isn't part of his powers.

Besides, increasing the money supply has kept interest rates down and made it easy for businesses ad consumers to borrow, helping the economy. Why wouldn't one want this policy in a weak economy?
Sure it's independent,wink wink.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:03 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The President seems to be pretty generous with our tax dollars when it comes to offering up 7 billion in aid to Africa. Why not offer that same money to our own infrastructure instead. Billions have already been wasted in Africa with very little to show for it.
Infrastructure projects require Congressional approval. Just try to get another infrastructure project through the GOP House, where anything Obama wants is knee-jerk responded to with a "NO."

It's also important to read the linked article from an OP. The article said:

Quote:
The program includes $1.5 billion from the U.S. Overseas Private Investment Corporation and $5 billion from the Export-Import Bank, the White House said. Sub-Saharan Africa will need more than $300 billion to achieve universal electricity access by 2030, it said.
According to the U.S. Overseas Private Investment Corporation website, "Established as an agency of the U.S. Government in 1971, OPIC operates on a self-sustaining basis at no net cost to American taxpayers."

The Export-Import Bank of the United States:
Quote:
The Export-Import Bank of the United States (Ex-Im Bank) is the official export credit agency of the United States. Ex-Im Bank's mission is to assist in financing the export of U.S. goods and services to international markets.
Ex-Im Bank provides working capital guarantees (pre-export financing); export credit insurance; and loan guarantees and direct loans (buyer financing). No transaction is too large or too small. On average, 85% of our transactions directly benefit U.S. small businesses.
So all those posters that are 8itching that Obama is 'spending tax-payer money,' are spewing mindless gibberish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies