Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2013, 05:47 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
Do you think Zimmie dropped his flashlight when he was sucker punched?
Likely.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:48 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Many of the other witnesses have the altercation starting at the Tee in the sidewalks and moving down. So why believe her over the others? Again, her credibility is quite questionable given the changing nature of her story. Thus, the single witness who claimed this moving from left to right (which contradicts other witness claims) and then her credibility seems damaged? I personally didn't put much stock into her testimony.
As I suspect you already know, the Judge will instruct the jury as to how to determine the credibility of each witness. Btw, what was the changing nature of her story? They actually played her 911 call which she made at the time the shooting took place, which I found quite compelling. Did she make a previous sworn statement which contradicted what she said on the witness stand? In your opinion, did the Defense do a good job of impeaching her with any previous statement she had given?

Old 06-30-2013, 05:52 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
The first witness was quite impressive, IMO. She was articulate and smart. Her 911 call, which they played, was very compelling. I remember her saying, the boy screamed and he shot him. She was looking out her window at the time she was talking to the 911 operator.
Just a point of fact that's not too important but she wasn't actually the very first witness called by the prosecution.

I agree she sounded intelligent and articulate. She also lacked credibility. The changing statement (adding the left to right movement) was a major issue for me, at least. The defense did a very good job of making her testimony seem quite untruthful.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:54 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
She was the very first prosecution witness, and she lived on the east side of the alleyway. She said the fight seemed to move from left to right, so that would be north.

It fits more with where the body was found. Even Zimmerman couldn't explain why the body was 50 feet from the T, since he claims he was sucker-punched at the T, and then he was straddled by Trayvon and nearly beaten to death. That's one of the weaknesses of his story.

Zimmerman could hardly admit he had pursued Trayvon down the alleyway because he claims at that point he wasn't pursuing Trayvon anymore and was returning back to his vehicle.
I'm pretty sure, at least under cross, she said she heard running from left to right and she could not be sure if it was one person or two. It could very well have been TM running to take on GZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
As I suspect you already know, the Judge will instruct the jury as to how to determine the credibility of each witness. Btw, what was the changing nature of her story? They actually played her 911 call which she made at the time the shooting took place, which I found quite compelling. Did she make a previous sworn statement which contradicted what she said on the witness stand? In your opinion, did the Defense do a good job of impeaching her with any previous statement she had given?
I somewhat answered this below (cross posting) but I will elaborate a bit more. The defense made her go through each and every one of her previous statements. In none of those did she add the left to right movement until trial. Plus it didn't help her case in the least when she had the change.org petition on her Facebook page and she signed it. Maybe the prosecution could have done a better job of explaining this 'additional' testimony but they did not. Thus, I was left with the impression that her testimony seemed less than truthful.

3,846 posts, read 2,384,804 times
Quote:
Do you think Zimmie dropped his flashlight when he was sucker punched?
Trayvon may have disarmed Zimmie of Zimmie's flashlight and struck him with it.

I'd like to see the lab tests on the flashlight.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I'm pretty sure, at least under cross, she said she heard running from left to right and she could not be sure if it was one person or two. It could very well have been TM running to take on GZ.
Actually she added the left to right movement in her testimony when the prosecution questioned her initially. On cross, that was one element the defense asked her about - the how many people thing. Then, they questioned her on why this was the first time she mentioned this. Then on cross to the redirect, the defense brought up the change.org petition.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:03 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Quote:
Trayvon may have disarmed Zimmie of Zimmie's flashlight and struck him with it.

I'd like to see the lab tests on the flashlight.
Interesting. I think there was a mention of someone with a flashlight flickering (not sure of details). There was blood on the flashlight, I do remember that.

But the flashlight was found near TMs body, that might knock out the claim of the attack at the T.

Very interesting.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:04 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Just a point of fact that's not too important but she wasn't actually the very first witness called by the prosecution.

I agree she sounded intelligent and articulate. She also lacked credibility. The changing statement (adding the left to right movement) was a major issue for me, at least. The defense did a very good job of making her testimony seem quite untruthful.
Do you remember who was the very first witness the prosecution called? I remember that this woman was the first witness called on one day.

She testified for a considerable length of time, and the only thing which she had not mentioned previously was the movement from left to right. For me, that one addition, considering the length of her testimony was certainly not a major issue. If she had said something completely opposite of a previous statement made under oath, that would certainly have given me cause for pause.

How did they make her ENTIRE testimony seem untrue in their cross examination? Did they address any issues other than the one little addition, which she could have easily just remembered while testifying, or easily have forgotten when making previous statements or in previous interviews? Just wondering what was so convincing to you that this woman's testimony was not credible.

It is perfectly normal and usual for various witnesses to contradict each other, especially "eye witnesses" such as these folks.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:06 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Did ANY of the witnesses report seeing a flashlight beam?
Didn't GM say his big flashlight was dead ? I don't believe it was working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies