Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2013, 06:52 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
You can certainly assault or murder someone with your fists. But that would not be considered assault or homicide with a weapon. That's my understanding. Show me where in the law it says fists are weapons.

My understanding is that they are not considered weapons, per se. They are parts of one's body. Remember when Mike Tyson attacked his girlfriend and there was some talk that his fists, unlike your average person's, should be considered weapons because he's a boxer. But even then, they weren't.
It WOULD be considered aggravated assault though.

And if they determine that Trayvon stomped on him or kicked him while having shoes on....that IS considered a weapon in FL. (and most states)

Old 06-30-2013, 06:53 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Self-defense by whom though? That's not clear.
Right now, the prosecution has only proven that Zimmerman was the one being beat up. Even then, 'proven' is a stretch. Really, they've injected plenty of reasonable doubt. I just haven't seen anything yet to prove murder 2 yet.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:54 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times
What an exhibit of intelligence.

GZ isn't even Mexican..

Old 06-30-2013, 06:55 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Okay, I understand your position. I still believe fists can be used with deadly intent though. Right now, with this case and the information provided, I've seen nothing thus far to counter this was self-defense. I am looking forward to next week's testimony.
In opening statements the defense argued that TM was not an unarmed kid: "Trayvon Martin armed himself with a concrete sidewalk".

Old 06-30-2013, 06:56 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
The witness I remember testifying about moving from left to right (and I may be wrong) is the first witness on Day 3 of the trial. She has blonde hair and her first name is Jane and she spells her last name which I think is Surdyka. I think we are talking about different people.

George Zimmerman Trial - Day 3 - Part 1 - YouTube
That seems even odder then because her apartment/townhome is across from the Tee and not alongside the sidewalk (dog walk). Hope that makes sense! I remember them marking it on the diagram. If she looks out her townhome, she's looking down the dog walk (for lack of a better term). So a left to right would suggest it started on the shorter sidewalk then and not at the Tee or the dog walk sidewalk (I really wish they labeled these sidewalks or something!!).

Old 06-30-2013, 06:56 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
You can certainly assault or murder someone with your fists. But that would not be considered assault or homicide with a weapon. That's my understanding. Show me where in the law it says fists are weapons.

My understanding is that they are not considered weapons, per se. They are parts of one's body. Remember when Mike Tyson attacked his girlfriend and there was some talk that his fists, unlike your average person's, should be considered weapons because he's a boxer. But even then, they weren't.
Here is a link which quotes some legal cases regarding MMA, and training etc. Not quoting....But, it Seems that there is precedent for conviction of someone shooting another, when they had the training to get the upper hand....so the shooting was excessive. Paragraph 4.
Is it legal for a MMA fighter to get in a street fight or is it consider a lethal weapon? - Yahoo! Answers

Last edited by JanND; 06-30-2013 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: edit text

Old 06-30-2013, 06:57 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
That may become more important after hearing George had MMA training....3 days a week. I know folks want toput a euphamistic spin on this....weight loss....But, the facts are the facts.
And, in that case fists would become weapons....Much like someone with a black belt fighting another person....
Why don't You wait for the facts from the gym instructor. For all you know, gz did aerobics, exercises, and punched a punching bag until the bag knocked him out.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:57 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
In opening statements the defense argued that TM was not an unarmed kid: "Trayvon Martin armed himself with a concrete sidewalk".
That could come back to haunt them.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:01 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
I know---that was hysterical....

Old 06-30-2013, 07:03 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
That seems even odder then because her apartment/townhome is across from the Tee and not alongside the sidewalk (dog walk). Hope that makes sense! I remember them marking it on the diagram. If she looks out her townhome, she's looking down the dog walk (for lack of a better term). So a left to right would suggest it started on the shorter sidewalk then and not at the Tee or the dog walk sidewalk (I really wish they labeled these sidewalks or something!!).
The wittness that talked about moving left to right was that asian looking lady...Her husband testified fri.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies