Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 06:14 PM

57,229 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
But NYS is taking an overly broad approach because they are acting not on the basis of "suffering from depression or anxiety...that it require[s] medication" but on the basis of a history of ever having been prescribed SSRI meds, whether or not the patient was correctly diagnosed.

So a person who was incorrectly diagnosed, was given a targeted prescription, and then stopped taking it without adverse effect should lose their right to own a gun?
So what's the solution, what is the narrow approach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Not sure why so focused on guns. People, mentally ill or not have sooooooo many ways to create mayhem.

It's funny why the focus on just guns. Look Bath School Disaster. The highest body counts were NOT made by guns.

A determined person will always find a way to create mayhem.
There are already restrictions on people that are mentally ill such as a license to fly an airplane, why not gun licenses. Yes there are many ways for people at risk to cause problems, should we ignore them and make it easier. No one is indicating this is a cure, just common sense.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:19 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
I've found lots of links to various source, but none I'd consider "credible". Therefore I apologize for the exaggeration... but only the highlighted phrase in your response.

My response was based on information in the OP and the assertions of people in this thread claiming that confiscations of weapons from people who needed help at some point in their past was acceptable.

From what I've been able to find from credible sources, the current cases are where people were reported by doctors and therapists because provisions in the NY SAFE Act. However, from the (admittedly cherry-picked) examples in the articles, the criteria for being reported to the state is apparently quite subjective, and some doctors are apparently reporting every patient with a prescription for an anti-depressant to the state.
Thank you for responding.

The NY Safe Act:

Requires designated mental health professionals who believe a mental health patient made a credible threat of harming others to report the threat to a mental health director, who would then have to report serious threats to the state Department of Criminal Justice Services. A patient's gun could be taken from him or her.

For the life of me, despite the bru-ha-ha I have not been able to find anything remotely credible that speaks to HIPAA violations or being denied a permit because of anti-depressants.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:31 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

That is a problem in NY since gov cuomo 1 turned the wackos loose to the streets in 1990 and the psych centers are caving in on themselves.

Oddly yesterday my wife received pics of Rochester Psych where she worked once near the point if it;s closing as a secretarty.

It is criminal as to what the state allowed to publicly OWNED structures.
Nothing unique going on in NY. All states began closing their mental hospitals in the 80's and this persisted. One is challenged to find a mental hospital, anywhere.

Laws also changed in the 80's relative to using insanity as a defense.
Most of the mass shooters would have had a challenging time proving incompetency.

Mental illness does not mean incompetence.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:30 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,739,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There are already restrictions on people that are mentally ill such as a license to fly an airplane, why not gun licenses. Yes there are many ways for people at risk to cause problems, should we ignore them and make it easier. No one is indicating this is a cure, just common sense.
flying is not a right, ownership of a firearm is.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
flying is not a right, ownership of a firearm is.
Both require a license.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:50 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,739,129 times
Quote:
Both require a license.
that does not mean a damn thing, a right can not be subject to a license or permit.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:18 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
5 convicted in Qatari mall fire that killed 13 toddlers - CNN.com

How will they confiscate fire?

Old 07-03-2013, 12:08 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Both require a license.
Ummm...no, they don't. Maybe in NY, NYC, or any of the other large urban places. There is, hardly, a nationwide gun licensing program in place, and there shouldn't be, either. I'm not going to license or register my guns. I have a CCW, which is a license to CARRY my handguns, concealed on my person, but the SO has no information on my specific weapons. Just "auto" and "revolver". None of their business what model, make, or caliber. :-)

Old 07-03-2013, 06:47 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
So what's the solution, what is the narrow approach.
See post #123.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies