Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 05:38 PM

79,907 posts, read 43,965,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Ummm, you brought this up whether cosmetic surgeons have hospital privileges, I was merely pointing out that there's a difference between plastic and cosmetic surgeons. Plastic surgeons have admitting privileges, only some cosmetic surgeons do.
I don't recall commenting on cosmetic surgeons. I would have to assume that abortions are a bit more invasive than cosmetic surgery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 10:08 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,523,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't recall commenting on cosmetic surgeons. I would have to assume that abortions are a bit more invasive than cosmetic surgery.
And yet cosmetic surgery has a higher death rate?

Old 07-10-2013, 10:38 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,521,481 times
Babies are now viable at 20 weeks. Women can still have their babies killed -- they just have to have them killed before 20 weeks.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
And yet cosmetic surgery has a higher death rate?
It seems "Cosmetic" surgeries aren't for the most part what they sound like and that most deaths are because the patients are elderly and the procedures are indeed done either in hospitals or by physicians with admitting privileges.

Estimated Death Rate for Cosmetic Surgery Related Procedures

Old 07-11-2013, 06:13 AM

16,870 posts, read 10,514,613 times
I've seen 16 week old fetuses and and I think that 20 weeks is plenty long enough.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:28 AM

28,888 posts, read 30,142,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Repubicans are using a poll as reasoning for changing the current legal 24 week period of gestation to call for new legislation making all abortions illegal [exceptions included] after 20 weeks of gestation.

Republicans claim that a majority of Americans favor the 20 week period. In reading the poll question, it is clear that the only option given persons polled was the 20 week option.

Q: As you know, the House of Representatives recently approved legislation that ban virtually all abortions nationwide after 20 weeks of pregnancy, except in cases of rape and incest that are reprted to authorities. Would you support or oppose such legislation?

Wouldn't a more correct question to gauge the true opinions of the American people on abortion be...

Q: As you know, the House of Representatives recently approved legislation that ban virtually all abortions nationwide after 20 weeks of pregnancy, except in cases of rape and incest that are reprted to authorities. Would you support this new legislation or should we keep the current law and the current 24 week period?

If given no option, the American people would choose 20 weeks...But not giving the current law option makes the poll meaningless.

Americans (Narrowly) Support 20-Week Abortion Ban - NationalJournal.com

House passes ban on abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy - First Read
I am getting so sick of this crap! First, I've gotta say, I'm certainly more conservative then I am liberal,and very strict in my beliefs, but this, yanno, Republicans claim that liberals are all bad people b/c they interfer with freedoms....now, let me say, I don't believe in abortion either, but what I do believe is, that abortion is between or should be between the self and God, and no one else's business. If you make laws that don't allow abortion, your going back to the coat hanger times, when women died, b/c no matter what, there will always be women who seek out the doctor, that will give them an illegal abortion, plus, you will make abortions a lucrative business. Anytime you outlaw something, your making money for the criminals to do that very thing that is outlawed.

There are way more important issues looming over the U.S., and just b/c Republican's don't believe in abortion, that's ok, but to try and conform everyone else to think like them is once again, an extremists who wants their way and is unable to consider anyone else's way of thinking.

This is why I will state, over and over and over again, both parties are corrupt and prey upon agendas instead of doing the work they are supposed to be doing.

It is one thing to respect your own beliefs and live by them, and quit another to try and force your beliefs on someone else's life....

Old 07-11-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I am getting so sick of this crap! First, I've gotta say, I'm certainly more conservative then I am liberal,and very strict in my beliefs, but this, yanno, Republicans claim that liberals are all bad people b/c they interfer with freedoms....now, let me say, I don't believe in abortion either, but what I do believe is, that abortion is between or should be between the self and God, and no one else's business. If you make laws that don't allow abortion, your going back to the coat hanger times, when women died, b/c no matter what, there will always be women who seek out the doctor, that will give them an illegal abortion, plus, you will make abortions a lucrative business. Anytime you outlaw something, your making money for the criminals to do that very thing that is outlawed.
It's already a lucrative business and doctors don't use coat hangers.

Quote:
It is one thing to respect your own beliefs and live by them, and quit another to try and force your beliefs on someone else's life....
I am sure I can find areas that you are willing to impose your morals upon others.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:45 AM

28,888 posts, read 30,142,652 times
pknopp It's already a lucrative business and doctors don't use coat hangers.

yes, it is, however, common sense tells you, what will happen if you outlaw it, just look at what happened during prohabition? Same thing...

Quote:
I am sure I can find areas that you are willing to impose your morals upon others.
I don't claim not to, however, to make a law because it goes against my moral values, no....listen, what I do with my body, is between my God and myself, and no one else's business...once again, I surely don't advocate abortion...but there are circumstances, surely not the majority, but circumstances where a woman should be allowed to get an abortion, and it isn't up to me, to dictate those circumstances...what is up to me, is to try as hard as I can to get my own house in order, before I start dictating to others how to live their lives.

I'm sure you could as well, but I'm not trying to change to law due ot my beliefs....except when we talk about illegals here in this country, that one I'd sure like to see changed...

Old 07-11-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
pknopp It's already a lucrative business and doctors don't use coat hangers.

yes, it is,
Then your point was moot.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:18 AM

742 posts, read 676,902 times
Quote:

There are way more important issues looming over the U.S., and just b/c Republican's don't believe in abortion, that's ok, but to try and conform everyone else to think like them is once again, an extremists who wants their way and is unable to consider anyone else's way of thinking.

This is why I will state, over and over and over again, both parties are corrupt and prey upon agendas instead of doing the work they are supposed to be doing.

I agree...
It's a FIGHT, just like GAY MARRIAGE, that NOT everyone agrees on but love to get LOUD!!!! about it!

People need to realize lots of things pass the House. You have Republican run House, when a Democrat is in office.
I think they enjoy making Liberals squirm. It's also a partisan diversion detracting from bigger issues, played well by both sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies