Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 03:11 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,064,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I was gonna say. The gas tax might encourage more people to ditch the car and ride the bus or train or a motorcycle. Traffic burden would lessen, which is in the top 5 complaints most people have of whatever large metropolitan area they live in. Too many cars in CA anyway
Have you actually lived in most places in California? You can't get around by bus or train in most areas. Also, riding a motorcycle out here is pretty dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 03:32 PM

569 posts, read 668,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Brown is going to do what his special interests tell him to do. He is at the mercy of environMENTALists.

A new anti-fracking coalition submitted petitions to the governor last week, imploring him to slap a state-wide ban on the practice.
Fracking foes pressure Gov. Brown. | Fossils & Photons – Energy and Clean Tech | an SFGate.com blog

These are the people who voted for Brown. Brown has always been a pro-environment (he banned the smell of baking bread!!!) bat$hit crazy moonbeam. If you think Code Pink and Move ON will allow Brown to drill Cali, you will lose that bet.
They already ARE drilling and fracking! Sure the environmentalists are trying to stop it but doubtful they will get an outright ban (moratorium was shot down in May or June). They might be able to stop it on Federal land but private is another thing. The number of people leasing their land in CA right now is huge.

I have been following this very closely since I have leased my mineral rights. The permits for new wells as well as re-drilling of old wells has risen in the last year. The only area that I have seen that has gotten a lot of bad publicity is Kern County. My area is not in that county but in the sespe zone as well as the shale zone.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:58 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,446,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I was gonna say. The gas tax might encourage more people to ditch the car and ride the bus or train or a motorcycle. Traffic burden would lessen, which is in the top 5 complaints most people have of whatever large metropolitan area they live in. Too many cars in CA anyway
Thankfully, I am not Public Transit Dependant.

The Bay Area once again finds itself hostage.

BART is on Strike

AC Transit is considering a Strike

City of Oakland is on Strike

MUNI is having contact talks.

Something about putting all your eggs in one basket... not even mentioning the extra property taxes I pay to subsidize public transit.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:03 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,446,019 times
On a side note... I visited a childhood friend recently way back in the Santa Cruz mountains.

They live off grid and her family has been there for generations... something very appealing to having only one bill annually... a modest Property Tax.

Eleven miles back on a seasonal gravel road living in the middle of a redwood forest sometimes even appeals to me... fresh water, air and a few neighbors you can depend on...

His wife has never watched TV... never had one and doesn't see the need... and no cell coverage...

Nothing can focus one one on the rat race quicker than when the the costly and subsidized urban services decide to strike.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:52 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,745,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidgetsmidget View Post
They already ARE drilling and fracking! Sure the environmentalists are trying to stop it but doubtful they will get an outright ban (moratorium was shot down in May or June). They might be able to stop it on Federal land but private is another thing. The number of people leasing their land in CA right now is huge.

I have been following this very closely since I have leased my mineral rights. The permits for new wells as well as re-drilling of old wells has risen in the last year. The only area that I have seen that has gotten a lot of bad publicity is Kern County. My area is not in that county but in the sespe zone as well as the shale zone.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

The number of BLM land leases for oil and gas have been cut in half over the last 20 years, and cut by 8000 in the last 5 years. Drilling permits require a 3160, which can't even be downloaded from the BLM.gov site. The links are dead.

"Never trust anyone who does not state their information source. Most often, it is the lack of information from the oil company that holds up projects, not government paperwork." - BLM employee

According to the government, the government is never at fault.

Private land:
Well Permitting

No less than 8 forms and as many steps. 4 bonds are required. Divisions approval is required (PCWO), and finally:

For all New Wells, approval of proposed operations is subject to the following:
· Protection of all hydrocarbon zones and all surface and subsurface fresh waters through adequate casing and cementing practices, and proper drilling procedures;
· Adequate blowout prevention equipment (see MO7); and
· Proper well spacing (Section 1721-1721.9 CCR)

Privateers have no chance, just the way big oil likes it. Have they started drilling your land? The average time just to get an approval (after jumping through all of the hoops) is nearly a year.

Who did you lease your land to?

Old 07-01-2013, 08:15 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,080,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Elections have consequences.

In 1978, fed-up California taxpayers passed Prop 13, which said that any tax increases had to be approved by a 2/3 supermajority in each of Calif's two legislative houses.

Now last November, Califonia voters elected a 2/3 majority of Democrats to both houses, for the first time since 1978.

Today the first of many tax increases voted by those Democrats (over Republican objections) went into effect, raising the state tax on gasoline by 3.5 cents. The total gas tax in Calif is now 71.5 cents/gallon in many areas, the highest in the nation.

BTW, some of that tax is the sales tax, which varies by county and city. IN many areas, sales tax is charged, not only on the price of the gas itself, but you also pay up to 9.5% sales tax on the other **taxes** too. That's right, you pay a tax on the taxes.

In case you wondered why so many California businesses are shutting their doors and leaving the state, now you know.

You voted for it, California.

Enjoy.

-----------------------------------------------

California Gas Tax Hike Goes Into Effect; Now Highest In Nation « CBS San Francisco

California Gas Tax Hike Goes Into Effect; Now Highest In Nation

July 1, 2013 6:32 AM

SACRAMENTO (CBS/AP) — Starting this week California drivers are spending more to fill up at the pump. A 3.5-cents-per-gallon tax hike went into effect Monday.

The increase was approved by the state Board of Equalization in February, in order to make up for tax revenue shortfalls in past years.

The tax hike gives the Golden State the highest gas tax in the nation, at 71.9 cents per gallon.
I don't get it...... I thought conservatives like state's rights.......... Never understand conservatives bashing states for their choices unless it is petty and/or personal.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:17 PM

45,032 posts, read 26,189,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
I don't get it...... I thought conservatives like state's rights.......... Never understand conservatives bashing states for their choices unless it is petty and/or personal.
Well of course, avoid the actual topic of the gas tax at all costs.

I never realized states rights meant agreeing with everything one decrees?

Old 07-01-2013, 08:28 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,891,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Citizens are allowed to vote for the government they wish, and they did.

California is broke after slashing the budget repeatedly while the GOP opposed new revenue increases. They have cut to the bone and beyond, to the point where essential services are being shut down. They went from lean and mean, to starving and dying, waiting for the deferred decision the GOP punted since 2009.
California's budgets are larger than most countries. Give it a break with the GOP bull crap and the garbage about not having enough revenues.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Well of course, avoid the actual topic of the gas tax at all costs.

I never realized states rights meant agreeing with everything one decrees?
Just making a comment. Struck a nerve maybe? How do you feel about state's right to enact their own laws?

Old 07-01-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
California's budgets are larger than most countries. Give it a break with the GOP bull crap and the garbage about not having enough revenues.
California's economy is larger than most countries..... 8th or 9th if it were it's own country.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies