Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 01:30 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,752,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Why? Other societies have vanished and can only be found in a history book. What makes ours immune to that possibility?
the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 01:51 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Why? Other societies have vanished and can only be found in a history book. What makes ours immune to that possibility?
How are we supposed to fund our government programs without young people working to fund them?

I also like the energy that youth brings to a society. I grew up in southwest Florida where the median age is like 60 years old. Just going to a restaurant will make you feel like the world is ending because there is nothing young around. Immigrants will make sure our whole country doesn't become like this.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:54 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
97% of the world's population lives in countries with a falling fertility rate.

Economics plays a major part. In bad economic times, the poor and the rich appear to continue to have kids. The middle classes do not.

In Latin America, the rate of decline in fertility is even more stark than the United States. IN America, white people are simply leading the way where other groups will inevitably follow as they gain a more equal footing. Even for Mexican immigrants, fertility fell 24% between 2007 and 2010 alone.

Things will probably stable out for everyone eventually. Fertility fluctuates tremendously throughout history. To be honest, the baby boom was actually just a blip, as the American fertility rate had been nose diving up until WW2. Economic factors - like childcare, etc., need to be in place in the modern nations if they want to encourage more people to have kids.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:57 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,825 times
Head East

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
So, haven't found that corporate CEO who used to be a male model and who wants to be an all-around family man in his spare time? Your comments show where your priorities are. There are probably lots of very average men out there with average jobs that would make loving and faithful husbands and fathers. But you would never give them a second look. Good luck with your search for perfection.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:59 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
Quote:
So there's that, too. I think a lot of guys find a strong woman intimidating, even if they won't admit it. And I think a lot of guys are gold diggers.
Personally, I find them useless as partners and taxing on my emotional well being. They tend to turn life in the perpetual war of dominance, after all it's an insulting for the outstanding gal like you to just do what asked or care for men, especially for the men you deep down despise, you can't hide your ego even here. Any request by a male is suspicious (don't he try to put my independence down, don't he try to control me?), these constant discussions, bickering, bean counting, display of attitude and independence (as in my way or highway and there is nothing you can do about it), it is getting old fast, you just want to run away. A strong woman cares about her ego more than about anything or anybody else. You don't need a family to be with a person you truly love . I have enough stress without "a strong woman" making my life miserable at home.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:00 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,825 times
I know I dont want a strong woman. Educated, feminine, great job, independent, beautiful, all these things are great but strong

nah, not what im looking for

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
There it is! You hit the nail on the head!

Old 07-08-2013, 02:02 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Personally, I find them useless as partners and taxing on my emotional well being. They tend to turn life in perpetual war of dominance, after all it's an insulting for the outstanding gal like you to just do what asked or care, especially for the men you deep down despise. Any request by male is suspicious (don't he try to put my independence down, don't he try to control me?), this constant discussions, bickering, display of attitude and independence (as in my way or highway and there is nothing you can do about it), it is getting old fast, you just want to run away. I have enough stress without "a strong woman" making my life miserable at home.
Well, I'm talking about the kind of guy who seems to resent the fact that I don't NEED him and complains that I'm emasculating him if I intervene when he's doing some household repair incorrectly. Well, excuse the crap outta me for not wanting my house burned down.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:03 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
How are we supposed to fund our government programs without young people working to fund them?

I also like the energy that youth brings to a society. I grew up in southwest Florida where the median age is like 60 years old. Just going to a restaurant will make you feel like the world is ending because there is nothing young around. Immigrants will make sure our whole country doesn't become like this.

Immigrants are not reliable source of population growth. Most people prefer to stay where their family and friends are if there are economic opportunities available.

Also, it is arguable that development in "immigration feeder" countries to the United States are hindered when their risk-takers and workers leave and usually never come back to help fix problems at home.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:12 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
The world is just too stressful to survive in these days. I am almost 26 and the recession has crippled my youth. I have done absolutely nothing that I wanted to by this time in my life. I was supposed to out of Florida, working at a good job, be in the sexiest shape of my life, be partying it up in some amazing place like LA or NY.

Because of the economy making it impossible to achieve my dreams, I have been unable to do any of this. I'm still stuck in Florida, living with an ex because my job doesn't pay me enough to get ahead of my medical bills, gaining weight because all my spare time after work is dedicated to studying or other necessities.

Until I live the adventures that I desire kids are out of the question. Most white people have mind sets like my own and the recession ravaged us. I would imagine my generation is going to be the least fertile generation of white people the world has ever seen.

This is why we need immigrants. They have children when white people won't. Our society needs to continue somehow.
I think you're close to the main reason people are having less kids and not marrying. It's becoming impractical and irresponsible to try to live like your parents did for wide, wide swaths of the population in the current environment and I only foresee it getting worse. Much worse! The job picture is absolutely bleak and getting bleaker by the year. Only the top 20% of jobs will allow you any kind life with some dignity and pleasure along the way. And like I said the future will only get worse. I think anybody from the lower 80% of the population who is thinking about having kids really better think hard about the current environment and future trends. Because if their offspring is not an above average math student who can get in banking/finance, accounting, insurance actuarial or some other profession that still allows you to earn a decent wage than they'll be condemned to a life of paycheck to paycheck poverty and very little in the way of vacations or forming a lasting bond with the opposite sex(if male). Like I said the economic environment is nasty and getting nastier by the year. Enter at your own risk.

Prison Planet.com » It

Only 47% of Adults Have Full-Time Job

Old 07-08-2013, 02:31 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
The US will be another Latin American country. Different races live in different neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies