U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 01:27 PM

280 posts, read 583,208 times

Advertisements

From WSJ:

Quote:
More white Americans are dying than being born for the first time in modern history—suggesting minorities and newcomers will play an important role in fueling the population growth America's recovering economy needs to thrive.

The number of non-Hispanic white Americans who died in the year ended June 2012 exceeded the number who were born during that period by about 12,400, the first "natural decrease" for this group. That's according to a U.S. Census Bureau report released Thursday and an analysis of separate data from the National Center for Health Statistics by demographer Kenneth Johnson at the University of New Hampshire. The white population edged up in absolute terms last year thanks to immigration, Census figures show.

This article raises the question: why are European Americans having fewer children? Is it only because of economic reasons? Or are there social reasons at play, such as declining marriage rates?

Read the entire article here: More White Americans Dying Than Being Born - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 02:11 PM

12,540 posts, read 12,531,731 times
The more educated one is, the less likely one is to have a lot of kids, and by and large, whites are still the most highly educated group in this country. Conversely, the less educated one is, the more likely one is to have a gaggle of kids. Look at poor whites in the South.

And I'm sure this is going to sound really, really un-PC, but so be it. It's the truth. It has more to do with education than race. If other groups were as highly educated, on the whole, as whites, they wouldn't be having as many kids, either.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:15 PM

26,346 posts, read 83,027,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
It has more to do with education than race.
Or economics, as lots of kids is historically social security. And those from agrarian backgrounds where more kids means more farm labor.

Or religion, as one prominent religion would advise a guy making $7/hour who already has five kids to go ahead and have another kid.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:19 PM

12,540 posts, read 12,531,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Or economics, as lots of kids is historically social security. And those from agrarian backgrounds where more kids means more farm labor.

Or religion, as one prominent religion would advise a guy making $7/hour who already has five kids to go ahead and have another kid.

Don't get me started on that last point. I'll get infracted. Suffice to say that as both an environmentalist and someone who has issues with people who breed 'em but can't feed 'em, you've hit upon one of many reasons I am no longer Catholic.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:17 AM

4,984 posts, read 5,066,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
The more educated one is, the less likely one is to have a lot of kids, and by and large, whites are still the most highly educated group in this country. Conversely, the less educated one is, the more likely one is to have a gaggle of kids. Look at poor whites in the South.

And I'm sure this is going to sound really, really un-PC, but so be it. It's the truth. It has more to do with education than race. If other groups were as highly educated, on the whole, as whites, they wouldn't be having as many kids, either.
Mechanics please. How exactly education translates in the plummeting birth rates? If one would think about "mechanics", it's easy to see that education has nothing to do with anything, it's just an attribute of the decline not a cause. Poor' & uneducated birth rates dropped significantly in the past decades around the globe ("educated" birth rates didn't drop that much, they were low to begin with). Why? Obviously because all social classes adopted upper middle class goals and aspirations: rat race intermingled with life of indulgence, leisure and pleasure. Those little crumb crunchers tax limited supplies of time and money quite a bit, and it takes some serious money to school them to prepare for the next round of the rat race. Honestly, I don't know a single low income family with more than 3 kids. I know a couple of solid middle class families (courtesy of the big government) that breed like rabbits (excellent insurance, excellent vacation policies, excellent salaries, all of that is unavailable to the poor), 8 children per family, btw.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:21 AM

20,976 posts, read 16,270,353 times
Cool!

Less competition for my grandchildren!

Old 07-08-2013, 07:45 AM

23,998 posts, read 32,840,016 times
Several reasons, IMHO.

I know a lot of highly educated white women who are childless and divorced/never married. Stillothers are racing to the altar and then racing to the OB/GYN to try to beat the clock. Some have been successful. Others haven't.

I see the problem as multi-faceted. I know I'll get ripped for saying this, but there is a real dearth of honorable, responsible, family-oriented men out there who are my age (35-45) and who are even remotely interested in settling down and having a family. Many men this age are re-treads with kids from a previous marriage who don't want more. Others are perennial bachelors who are either not marriage material or who never want to get married. Still others are expecting a supermodel when they're dating women in their mid to late 30s/early 40s. Erm...you're lucky I still fit in my size 4s at that age, pal. Most women I know my age are well into double-digit pant sizes. Plus...a lot of these single guys are faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. Fat guys don't get hot lean girls, usually. Put that thought right out of your head, pal, and get ready to settle. Or don't and keep fappin'.

A lot of us single/divorced gals wonder what's wrong with US? Well...I think I know what it is. We don't actually need a man, so we're not really willing to settle like women of previous generations might have been. Why should I settle for a fat guy with a crappy job who isn't very good in the sack? Why should I settle for someone who isn't as smart as I am? Etc. So there's that, too. I think a lot of guys find a strong woman intimidating, even if they won't admit it. And I think a lot of guys are gold diggers.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:49 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,533,646 times
People marrying later probably plays a role in this as well, I know my wife and I will only be having one child.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:59 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,399,522 times
Why should either women or men "settle" for less than they want?

I have a forty year old athletic woman friend that has tried dating and as she says, "the crop of losers that show up on my doorstep are just beyond pathetic."

Too bad I am 25 years older and married. Ah well.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:01 AM

23,998 posts, read 32,840,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Why should either women or men "settle" for less than they want?

I have a forty year old athletic woman friend that has tried dating and as she says, "the crop of losers that show up on my doorstep are just beyond pathetic."

Too bad I am 25 years older and married. Ah well.
This sums it up nicely. I totally agree with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies