Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 11:48 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I saw those threads, and I am not seeking "answers", but discussion, and I am comparing this case to the recent Zimmerman case, in light of what has emerged in that trial.

She had much stronger grounds for self-defense than Zimmerman, including the fact that her husband had previous convictions for domestic violence, unlike Trayvon Martin who was an innocent boy. And yet she was still prosecuted and is going to spend 20 years in prison.

She is black, she is a victim of domestic violence. I think this is a travesty of injustice.

This thread is for discussion and comparison of both cases, because I raised this issue in the Zimmerman thread, and was told it was off-topic, so I am posting my own topic.
There is no comparison and it's not racial.

Looks like it's something you will have to accept and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 11:49 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I thought it was a dog leash? Either way...this case went totally under the radar...

And where were the anti-gun nuts outrage?
I think I remember that case, that was a couple years ago I believe. And I remember thinking it was a bunch of BS at the time.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:49 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
You are seeing the reasoning behind this, right? Let's see, black kid unarmed is murdered, it's justifiable. Black woman fires warning shot instead of murdering, justifiable to toss her in jail.
Twisting the facts. Man is assaulted by a punk teen who knocks him to the ground, breaks his nose, and continues bashing his head - gets shot in self-defense, before he can kill the man. End of story. bad guy dead. The rest is all politics.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:56 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
I thought it was a dog leash? Either way...this case went totally under the radar...

And where were the anti-gun nuts outrage?
He had his dog and a leash, the shooter claimed he had a pipe to police.

Shot him out his car window.....

I guess rolling up his window was too much effort.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I think I remember that case, that was a couple years ago I believe. And I remember thinking it was a bunch of BS at the time.
Hey look they finally got around to charging Adkins shooter 3 months after the fact.

Daniel Adkins Killing: Murder or "Self Defense"? - Phoenix - News - Valley Fever

Quote:
Jude told police that he shot Adkins after he took another swing at him with the pipe -- which no one else ever saw, and again, police never found -- using a pistol he had been carrying in his lap.

Jude told the cops he felt that he was in some sort of danger -- he also had his 8-months-pregnant girlfriend in the passenger seat -- but said that he never felt that their lives were in danger.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:07 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hey look they finally got around to charging Adkins shooter 3 months after the fact.

Daniel Adkins Killing: Murder or "Self Defense"? - Phoenix - News - Valley Fever
ehhhh....

Yea, him being in the car was trump here. I could see on foot...plus the dude had a dog. And the breed would have some serious impact on this judgment. But he was in a car...kind of hard to argue that this dude just didn't want to plug somebody and chomped at the bit.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I saw those threads, and I am not seeking "answers", but discussion, and I am comparing this case to the recent Zimmerman case, in light of what has emerged in that trial.

She had much stronger grounds for self-defense than Zimmerman, including the fact that her husband had previous convictions for domestic violence, unlike Trayvon Martin who was an innocent boy. And yet she was still prosecuted and is going to spend 20 years in prison.

She is black, she is a victim of domestic violence. I think this is a travesty of injustice.

This thread is for discussion and comparison of both cases, because I raised this issue in the Zimmerman thread, and was told it was off-topic, so I am posting my own topic.
1. The very article you linked to showed a white guy that got the same sentence for similar circumstances.

2. She went to HIS residence, got in an argument, went outside and got her gun and then went back into the residence and shot.

3. She was offered multiple plea deals, refused them and the sentence was mandatory, not harshly dealt out due to pigmentation.

Most people in the article including the judge also disagreed with the sentencing. The problem here is minimum sentencing, what she did was absolutely wrong but should have carried a much lesser penalty like probation.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
ehhhh....

Yea, him being in the car was trump here. I could see on foot...plus the dude had a dog. And the breed would have some serious impact on this judgment. But he was in a car...kind of hard to argue that this dude just didn't want to plug somebody and chomped at the bit.
Yeah, it was a golden retriever that just sat there by the body until police arrived.

The guy hung himself with his own comments to police about not feeling in danger etc.

Why it took 3 months is mind-boggling....unless you figure that politicians met quietly and got the OK that jailing this guy wouldn't get them in trouble with the Stand your ground crowd.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:11 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Jeez, about time.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:21 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Dude...it's an effort in futility trying to get through to the OP.

It was pointed out in several articles and another thread in detail why this woman had no right to SYG. And it just zings off of her.

You couldn't put a point on a nail and hammer it into her brain
And you're a rude bully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies