Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 07:28 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
So make your case!"
Case for what? If you want to know what the statement said, read it for yourself.

Quote:
This entire thread has not seen one person offer a compelling argument, all we have seen is inflated rhetoric and silly statements like this law will "interferes with the doctor/patient relationship" so tell us how it interferes. How does waving an ultrasound wand over a woman's belly interferes.
Oh, I see. You don't understand the meaning of words. See if this helps: If a doctor conducts an ultrasound because he sees the need, that's fine. If he does it when there is no need but instead because of laws passed by freedom-hating crybabies who think of women as chattel, then those right wingers are interfering. If you have your dolls laid out how you like for your tea party and I come along and move them, I have interfered with your tea party. Do you understand what "interferes" means now? I hope so. I won't explain again.

As for compelling arguments, we're dealing with Texas Republicans. I fail to see how giving them their way can result in anything good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 08:34 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Then you should be rooting for them..
At this point the self-inflicted damage has been done by the GOP so I'm pleased with that. The legal challenges to the legislation will be interesting to follow.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:50 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
The crux of this bill is claims by proponents that these abortion restrictions are necessary for the health and safety of the women seeking abortions. The problem is that abortion procedures are already very safe. The morbidity and mortality statistics on women seeking abortion proves this, and proponents of SB 5 simply ignore.

Via the CDC:

Quote:
In 2007, most (62.3%) abortions were performed at ≤8 weeks’ gestation, and 91.5%
were performed at ≤13 weeks’ gestation. Few abortions (7.2%) were performed at
14—20 weeks’ gestation, and 1.3% were performed at ≥21 weeks’ gestation. During
1998—2007, the percentage of abortions performed at ≤13 weeks’ gestation
remained stable; however, abortions performed at ≥16 weeks’ gestation decreased
by 13%—14%, and among the abortions performed at ≤13 weeks’ gestation, the
percentage performed at ≤6 weeks’ gestation increased 65%.
That’s out of a total of 827,609 abortions reported to CDC. A total of six women who died as a result of having an abortion procedure. Six. That translates in to a rate of one fatality in more than 137,000 procedures.

For comparison, the fatality rate in natural childbirth or cesarians is 12.7 per 100,000 in 2010, which is 13 times higher!

What about cosmetic surgery? The safety statistics are not even anywhere close, and many of those procedures are done outside of hospitals. Cosmetic surgery death rates are about 20 times greater at 19.1 per 100,000.

If Perry and the Texas GOP were really interested in womens’ health and safety, they’d be looking to shut down cosmetic surgeons and tightening restrictions on hospitals and other medical centers to get the rates down.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:03 AM

593 posts, read 470,262 times
So, Congress is trying to win some Integrity points with the people now? TOO LATE.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:54 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
The crux of this bill is claims by proponents that these abortion restrictions are necessary for the health and safety of the women seeking abortions. The problem is that abortion procedures are already very safe. The morbidity and mortality statistics on women seeking abortion proves this, and proponents of SB 5 simply ignore.

Via the CDC:

That’s out of a total of 827,609 abortions reported to CDC. A total of six women who died as a result of having an abortion procedure. Six. That translates in to a rate of one fatality in more than 137,000 procedures.

For comparison, the fatality rate in natural childbirth or cesarians is 12.7 per 100,000 in 2010, which is 13 times higher!

What about cosmetic surgery? The safety statistics are not even anywhere close, and many of those procedures are done outside of hospitals. Cosmetic surgery death rates are about 20 times greater at 19.1 per 100,000.

If Perry and the Texas GOP were really interested in womens’ health and safety, they’d be looking to shut down cosmetic surgeons and tightening restrictions on hospitals and other medical centers to get the rates down.
THIS.

*thunderous applause*

Old 07-03-2013, 01:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post

Don't waste your time, Zimbochick. I have learned that the right wingers here do not acknowledge expert opinions as such if those opinions don't support current Republican dogma. .
Let's be fair here. Most people reject expert opinions that contradict their own viewpoints, regardless of how they vote. The real fun begins when there are multiple "expert opinions" that differ.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:19 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
ACOG has been active in responding to the abortion topic. This was their response to insane remarks made by an Illinois Congressman, Joe Walsh's:

ACOG - Response to Politician's Inaccurate Abortion Comments

As an aside, my very Republican District chose to not reelect Joe Walsh.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:40 PM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
That's because they assume, like sensible people who are not governed by a belief in a mythical being, that doctors being better at medical decisions than anyone else simply goes without saying.
Extend those sentiments to the energy industry - coal, oil, natural gas, nuclear...

My point is that it's hypocritical of liberals to supposedly turn their back on safety when the industries on their team is at stake. But when it's the coal industry, then it's OK to regulate them out of existence.

With libs - it's all about the team - it's all about defeating conservatives. Giving a baby a lethal injection (similar to a criminal) and having a dead baby in a toilet - perfectly OK for you and long as you are winning.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:56 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
With libs - it's all about the team - it's all about defeating conservatives. Giving a baby a lethal injection (similar to a criminal) and having a dead baby in a toilet - perfectly OK for you and long as you are winning.
What a hateful thing to say. Not to mention blatantly untrue.

Wow. Just wow. Just when I thought I'd seen the worst of C-D.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:57 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Extend those sentiments to the energy industry - coal, oil, natural gas, nuclear...

My point is that it's hypocritical of liberals to supposedly turn their back on safety when the industries on their team is at stake. But when it's the coal industry, then it's OK to regulate them out of existence.
Please see my post above, this bill has nothing to do with safety.

Quote:
Are you opposed to abortion under all circumstances?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies