Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 12:59 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,174,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The man violated law. He admitted he violated law. Why he fled.

End of story.

No claims of moral authority or what was "illegal" can trump what he did. He clearly violated law and his oath of accepting that type of job. Period.
Sure. And the blind, deaf and dumb idiot's will find him guilty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Daniel Ellsberg was put on trial, facing 115 years in prison, for releasing the Pentagon Papers. It was only because of gross governmental misconduct and illegal evidence gathering that all charges were dismissed. I do believe that was precisely what Snowden wanted to avoid, and why he fled the US.

I certainly do not fault Snowden for fleeing the US, rather than face what will obviously be another rigged trial. I also applaud his actions in releasing the information to WikiLeaks and the media. However, where he crossed the line was revealing information to China, Russia, and others. Blowing the whistle on unconstitutional activities by our own government is one thing, but revealing national security secrets to other nations is entirely different. The former makes Snowden a hero, the latter makes him a traitor.

This is the exact charges that were made about Manning but when it came down to it the courts found him innocent.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:15 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This is the exact charges that were made about Manning but when it came down to it the courts found him innocent.
Manning plead guilty and was sentenced on August 21, 2013 to 35 years confinement, reduction in rank to Private, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and a dishonorable discharge, and is currently serving time at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:32 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Huh? If that was true, the government would not be in the sweat it's in now!
While relatively few citizens may have suspected an NSA over-reach, Snowden's info dump was the very first public proof that the over-reach was not only true, but worse than what was imagined.

Since he didn't release everything that was available to him, the NSA is still sweating buckets in fear he will release even more stuff they don't want to be exposed.

If one actually takes the time to read some of his disclosures, it's apparent that Snowden released very little material that could actually help any terrorists in a substantial way. He was no Julian Assange, who dumped everything with no thought of who it would harm or help. Snowden exposed the NSA's domestic privacy invasion, and our secret intrusions into foreign leaders' privacy. He did nothing to hurt the military and CIA on the ground doing our secret work, but he could have.

In my mind, that makes him a whistle blower, but not a traitor. I support him for doing it, even though many of my compatriots see him differently. If he does go on to intentionally damage our secret warriors and their leaders, my opinion of him will change, and I'll denounce him.

But I strongly doubt he ever will do that. This kid is not a traitor until he does. Until then, if ever, he's a patriot and a man of conscience in my view, and took a great risk in doing what was the right thing for his country.

Secrecy is a necessary poison. Enough is needed to protect us, but too much will kill our democracy as swiftly as strychnine brings down a race horse.
Good post.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:34 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times
Quote:
The man violated law. He admitted he violated law. Why he fled.

End of story.

No claims of moral authority or what was "illegal" can trump what he did. He clearly violated law and his oath of accepting that type of job. Period.
Hmmmm....but you are OK with the government violating the law?

I would love to be on his jury. "NOT GUILTY".

Old 01-24-2014, 01:37 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sure. And the blind, deaf and dumb idiot's will find him guilty.
Good.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:40 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Hmmmm....but you are OK with the government violating the law?

I would love to be on his jury. "NOT GUILTY".
What verifiable evidence is there that the NSA spied on US citizens?

None.

He revealed that Merkel's cell phone was listened in on. Brazil got its panties in a twist.

All overseas.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Manning plead guilty and was sentenced on August 21, 2013 to 35 years confinement, reduction in rank to Private, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and a dishonorable discharge, and is currently serving time at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.
He was found innocent of the charges Snowden is being accused of above.

Today, Lind found Manning guilty of 20 charges for that effort to inform the American people of the policies pursued in their name. But, in a hugely significant development, she also ruled that he was not guilty of the charge of aiding the enemy.

Manning verdict: What you need to know - Salon.com

Old 01-24-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
What verifiable evidence is there that the NSA spied on US citizens?

None.
LOL. they have finally admitted it and the courts have ruled their actions unconstitutional.

The US government spied on electronic communications between Americans with no links to terror suspects until a judge ruled it illegal in 2011, officials have acknowledged.

US admits electronic spying on Americans was illegal - Telegraph

It's too bad they didn't actually stop.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:39 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
I don't get it. It seems as if all my liberal friends think Snowden is a criminal who belongs in jail, while all my conservative friends think he's some hero.

What I don't get is that most liberals have praised other people for exposing sensitive information, while the conservatives condemn such action.

Maybe someone can clear this up for me.
As a conservative, I believe Snowden very well may have endangered people. That's wrong.

However, he did reveal MUCH wrong-doing by government.

What's even more fascinating is that the people who want him dead are establishment types and the people who don't are the ones who believe are political establishment is wholly corrupt.

The question is: How do you try a crime, when it's the only way to reveal greater crimes?

I believe if the government got their hands on him, he would die immediately (and they're trying to kill him now). And that, too, would be a crime.

Show me, in those circumstances, a path to justice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies