Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2013, 07:46 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The main problem with libertarians is their stance on immigration. Libertarian ideology calls for free movement of people, basically open borders. Most people realize this is unworkable.
But any immigration reform thrown on the table is unworkable....

When are we going to realize that we are screwed with Mexico? Unless you are ready to go and wipe them out and make them an extension of America....it is what it is.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:47 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Can you name one Libertarian government?

Irelandwas Stateless for 2000 years (Brehon), the Indus River Valley was Stateless (Harappa), parts of Turkey were Stateless (Çatalhöyük), parts of the Middle East were Stateless(Jericho), much of Africa was Stateless (Axumia under the Xeer), most of southern Asia was Stateless (much still is/Zomia), a section of Europe was Stateless only 100 years ago (Moresnet), parts of the US were Stateless (Brentwood; Stapleton is still). Most of Western Europe was effectively stateless during the Middle Ages. Rhode Island was anarchist when settled by Europeans. The American West had little to no government control until after the Civil War.

And there are currently countries in Europe, Asia and South America that are moving toward Libertarianism today. They are doing better than their neighbors. Not exactly the same as what the Libertarian Party in the United States believes but close enough.

More humans have lived without a government than with one.

Can you name one country that was successful with a large central government?

Old 07-03-2013, 07:48 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,145,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
I would guess it is because 300M+ Americans would rather be ruled over by a group representing .0001% of the total population rather than making decisions for themselves (i.e. most people are born followers, and have a dismal intellect to match).
You have just perfectly described the sheep errr American electorate.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:54 PM

310 posts, read 256,319 times
I have yet to read an anti-Libertarian post in this thread that actually describes Libertarians. Haha....wow!

Old 07-03-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
Because their viewpoint is incredibly unrealistic. It's something a great many have a juvenile tryst with, but then they usually come to their senses. I say juvenile, because to support such a philosophy in modern society is to deny how much more complex society is today than 300 years ago.

Unless you're really rich, then libertarianism makes perfect sense.
Yes, life is much more complex today than it was 300 years ago. lols.

300 years ago people lived to about 35 years. Infant mortality was 10x what it is now.

There was no electricity. No automobiles or airplanes. Work conditions were often fatal.

No one understood about germs and stuff when treating sick people. Once a flu or other epidemic broke out entire societies would die.

Most of the world's population had no idea when they woke in the morning if they were going to have enough food to get through the day.

Hardly anyone was literate. They put fires out with buckets of water. Kids had to work the farm to survive.

Life was soooooooooooooo much simpler 300 years ago. It's freakin' complex today. lols.

There is not a person on the planet (even the poorest) that would trade their life for life 300 years ago. There isn't one person that lived 300 years ago (even the wealthiest) that would find life more complex today. Unless you count keeping up with texts and emails and wondering what beach to visit this summer as having it rough. lols.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDecker30 View Post
I have yet to read an anti-Libertarian post in this thread that actually describes Libertarians. Haha....wow!
Most of the anti-libertarians just make childish remarks.

Somalia. lols.

Who will build muh roads. lols.

Government killed 200 million people in the 20th Century. That's just the known death count. But somehow we are all better off with strong, powerful governments. They protect us from death and war and stuff. lols.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:08 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Just a bunch of paranoid conspiracy theorist college kids.
They would get laughed out of the White House if they ever won an election
Not theories true conspiracies to coverup the truth, protect the powerful, such as;

surveillance extraordinaire
global warming, where Gore started with 1 million, now has 200-300 million and should be a laughing stock.
Iraq over non-existant WMD's
declaring Iran is close to having nuclear weapons for the last 30 years
Gulf of Tonkin
protecting Afghanistan's poppy fields
Food for oil
vaccines designed to defeat your immune system and make sure you get sick
agent orange and other chemical weapons exposure to innocent populations including our own troops
BenGhazi coverup
Fast N Furious
fanning the flames of a race war over Zimmerman
false flag terrorism
sending a torrential rainstorm to the Vietcong
poisoning our food and our bodies with genetic modification
etc etc etc

I think it was Kissinger that said "To do the illegal is easy, but the unConstitutional takes longer"

Old 07-03-2013, 08:11 PM

310 posts, read 256,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Most of the anti-libertarians just make childish remarks.

Somalia. lols.

Who will build muh roads. lols.

Government killed 200 million people in the 20th Century. That's just the known death count. But somehow we are all better off with strong, powerful governments. They protect us from death and war and stuff. lols.
Don't forget how Libertarians would spit on the poor and let people get poisoned. I know, I know, it is so utopian seeing as how things are working out so well right now!

Old 07-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,239 times
I describe myself as a libertarian and have never had any type of "negative" discussion and/or issues with any democrat or republican.
-. i believe in responsibility above everything else. It's noone else's job to make sure someone else is fed/clothed/has a big screen TV or anything else. (common community goals are a plus when it benefits the common community and not some over paid administrator in the government.)

-. I believe that I am intelligent enough to know right from wrong for both me and my family and detest anyone else trying to figure that out for me.

-. I believe in small government to take care of the infrastructure and the military - not to support deadbeats to lazy to get a job!(i'm talking life time users of the system)..

-. I believe in a hand up - (common community programs such as job education, basic healthcare, education, etc) and not in a hand out.

-. I don't run or believe in the it's not fair mentality... The fair mentality is bogus and should be taken to all levels of our social economic system... ask a middle class liberal person if it's fair that they have a house and the homeless guy on the corner doesn't.. (they seem to revert back to the Republican/Libertarian view of responsibility for ones status in life)..

-. I believe that the best candidate that fits MY OWN political views is the best candidate for ME. People who are Democratic who vote for a Dem just because they are a Dem are idiots.. A Republican that votes for a Republican just because they are Rep are also idiots.. (The sheeple mentality takes hold).

Liberalism is about utopia... smoke a joint... sing a camp fire song.. let's just all get along (as long as it's their way)

Libertarianism: "We hold that all individuals have the right to exercise sole dominion over their own lives, and have the right to live in whatever manner they choose, so long as they do not forcibly interfere with the equal right of others to live in whatever manner they choose."

In other words... I live my life to a means that doesn't interfere with anyone else's no matter their gender/race/sexuality/etc.. etc... and I expect the same..

if I want to watch a blood bath movie - that is my choice... noone else's. Don't interfere with my life and I'm good.

My libertarianism views do border the anarchist vies, although that is not good for the common community.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:16 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDecker30 View Post
Don't forget how Libertarians would spit on the poor and let people get poisoned. I know, I know, it is so utopian seeing as how things are working out so well right now!
you have an uneducated understanding of libertarians. They would actually help that person up.. if they were a neighbor they would be the first ones at the door to help them out.. If you want a libertarian to put money into a pot so some government entity can decide who gets what - then you can say libertarians aren't very consoling.

Common community - not government will help those in need a lot faster and a lot better.

Government decides who gets what and when.. Government waists so much money on unnecessary administration they are the WORST type of "charity" organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies