Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2013, 09:51 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
So don't roll your eyes when you talk about the malpractice system. It's real and it costs a lot of money to the system. Not just the 1% lawyers claim.
I will continue to roll my eyes.

Insurance companies whine and it's all BS. I know plenty of folks who work for insurance companies, and it's clear that insurance companies are doing very nicely financially - among the most lucrative companies in the U.S.

I hear the BS coming out of anti-malpractice, anti-attorney right wingers about how malpractice is doing this and doing that. Malpractice insurance is doing nothing. The rates are kept unnecessarily high by insurance companies. Do doctors talk to insurance companies about that? Hell no. Insurance companies have the entire nation by the b*lls.

On the other hand, I know 3 doctors personally, one is my nephew, and DESPITE THE MALPRACTICE INSURANCE RATES their sob insurance companies charge them, they are living so well it baffles the eyeballs.

So if you're going to defend insurance companies, and do the weepy thing about malpractice, go tell someone who doesn't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 09:58 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Did you read the wiki link I posted? I tried to find this specific info with other sources, since so many people treat Wiki as a joke, but no matter what search terms I entered, I couldn't find it anywhere else. It happens to be something I know. Most European doctors go to "med school" straight from high school and are in school about 6 years.

From Wiki:

Entry-level education
Main article: Medical school

Entry-level medical education programs are tertiary-level courses undertaken at a medical school. Depending on jurisdiction and university, these may be either undergraduate-entry (most of Europe, India, China), or graduate-entry programs (mainly Australia, Canada, United States).
I know that. That's what i stated. I know quite a few of these 6 year programs.

There are also 6 year program in the US as well but it's not as popular as the traditional US model.

But you are saying medical education is equivalent to NP education also. Which it isn't.

Courses are different. Exams are different. Ask any NP to take a medical licensing exam. Any one of the 3. It's a completely different ball game.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:02 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
I'm not a fan of Obamacare, I think it's stupid and difficult to work with. Even Howard Dean called it a bailout for the insurance companies. I generally favor a more limited government role, but I do support a national health care system. It really does make the most sense, and most other developed countries are switching to this method. What we should do, at least for now, is just enroll everyone in Medicare. Younger working people should pay the highest in premiums, and those premiums decrease as you age. This will keep money in the system, and it will allow people to not have to worry about paying for health care after they worked their whole life and need a little medical care.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I will continue to roll my eyes.

Insurance companies whine and it's all BS. I know plenty of folks who work for insurance companies, and it's clear that insurance companies are doing very nicely financially - among the most lucrative companies in the U.S.

I hear the BS coming out of anti-malpractice, anti-attorney right wingers about how malpractice is doing this and doing that. Malpractice insurance is doing nothing. The rates are kept unnecessarily high by insurance companies. Do doctors talk to insurance companies about that? Hell no. Insurance companies have the entire nation by the b*lls.

On the other hand, I know 3 doctors personally, one is my nephew, and DESPITE THE MALPRACTICE INSURANCE RATES their sob insurance companies charge them, they are living so well it baffles the eyeballs.

So if you're going to defend insurance companies, and do the weepy thing about malpractice, go tell someone who doesn't know.
I am not defending insurance companies.

The issue is the 1% stat of total health care cost.

Like i said. Some docs even with tort reform have financial incentive to do more procedures for more income. In a way you can argue that tort reform won't stop unnecessary tests or procedures from being done.

But you also have to look at cases where certain physician (Mainly entities of the US govt like VA docs and military docs). Those entities of the US govt order the least amount of tests and do the least amount of procedures.

Ask any lawyer who's harder to sue. A private doc or a doc considered an entity of the US govt like a military doc.

The dynamics of medical practice and defensive medicine true costs are very complex.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:06 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
A doctor round here recently stopped accepting insurance. Slashed his rates by 50%, you can submit it later on your own if you want, but he is done.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:07 AM

Bottom line question for liberals out there?

Agree or disagree?

Make everyone making between 20-300k pay a flat 10% tax to pay for a national health system?

Fair? You got your tax base. You got your tax dollars. You can close to maximum participation.

Right?

The UK limits taxes for their health programs at around 300k. That's why I put the limit at 300k.

That's the fairest way to pay for this. Who's in?

Old 07-04-2013, 10:10 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
300k dollars or pounds?

Old 07-04-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
300k dollars or pounds?
I believe it was like 160k pounds.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:15 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Bottom line question for liberals out there?

Agree or disagree?

Make everyone making between 20-300k pay a flat 10% tax to pay for a national health system?

Fair? You got your tax base. You got your tax dollars. You can close to maximum participation.

Right?

The UK limits taxes for their health programs at around 300k. That's why I put the limit at 300k.

That's the fairest way to pay for this. Who's in?
That's about what I currently pay for health premiums in a very high deductible plan, so I'm in.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:16 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
I know that. That's what i stated. I know quite a few of these 6 year programs.

There are also 6 year program in the US as well but it's not as popular as the traditional US model.

But you are saying medical education is equivalent to NP education also. Which it isn't.

Courses are different. Exams are different. Ask any NP to take a medical licensing exam. Any one of the 3. It's a completely different ball game.
Six years post high school is the equivalent of a nursing master's, which is the level of most NPs. Many NP programs are now transitioning to the doctoral level. You cannot learn in six years what you learn in 8 years (college plus med school in the US). The last few years of these European programs are similar to residency in the US, making the US programs about 10+ years.

These programs in the US are 6-7 years. You basically get your BA/BS degree in 2-3 years, then go to the traditional four years of med school.

Direct BS-MD Programs - Combined Degree Programs in Medicine

The direct BS/MD programs have various names (as seen above), and each name may be interpreted differently. The only one that has a slightly different meaning is the phrase accelerated medical program. While traditional paths require 8 years, there are some programs that are 6 or 7 years. These 6 or 7 year programs are considered "accelerated." Student in this track may need to spend several summers taking additional courses or may need to take 18+ credits per semester in order to complete all the course requirements. Another program is the BA/MD program, where the student receives a Bachelor's in Arts Degree (B.A.)

Almost one quarter of US Medical schools offer this combined BS/MD program to well-qualified high school students. Often times, admission into these programs is more competitive than admission into the top universities. With guaranteed admission into medical schools, these programs are different from pre-med programs.

Some of these programs give one a BA/BS in biology with a few fewer credits (not a typo), basically eliminating electives. (I've looked at a few of them.) Some have you taking credits for your bachelors well into med school.

Now I went to a university that offered a full academic term in the summer, so it was theoretically possible to graduate in three calendar years, assuming one could get all the classes one needed that way. There's a difference between this type of a plan and going to med school straight out of high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies