Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2013, 09:54 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Colon cancer, if caught in time, is treatable and enjoys a 90% success rate.
And this is an excuse to prevent people from being able to afford treatment for 99% of other debilitating illnesses? What about people that don't have colon cancer? What if you're one of the millions of Americans, pre Obama care, that couldn't have gotten treatment for colon cancer in the first place? What's the difference dying from a waiting list versus dying from lack of payment? Which has killed more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 10:08 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I don't get why a colonoscopy is so well discussed here. Is it the procedure with the longest waiting time, and so, gets the magnifying glass stuck on it as proof that socialized medicine sucks? Or is it something else? I'd like to know the figures on how many Americans die from lack of access to healthcare compared to how many Canadians die because of a waiting list
I don't understand that either. Why colonoscopy wait times in Canada keep coming on here to illustrate a difference between the systems is beyond me. If one needs to pinpoint a particular feature that one would use to make a decision as to preference; that particular one as opposed to all of the failings readily apparent in the other system would be the least of my concerns.

I posted a few links in quote of that post and they kinda overshadow the rather paltry example of wait times for colonoscopy by light years.

Cripes; how one can even relate that to not seeing a doctor for years at a time due to not being able to afford it or, the even worse example of having a diagnosed disease but sorry, you're not covered for the treatments so off you go, best of luck.

Jeesuz; why are they even attempting to defend that azzbackwards approach to health care in a so-called developed country. It amazes me they believe in the concept of universal education, which could arguably be termed a luxury, but balk at providing a necessity of life.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:19 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I don't understand that either. Why colonoscopy wait times in Canada keep coming on here to illustrate a difference between the systems is beyond me. If one needs to pinpoint a particular feature that one would use to make a decision as to preference; that particular one as opposed to all of the failings readily apparent in the other system would be the least of my concerns.

I posted a few links in quote of that post and they kinda overshadow the rather paltry example of wait times for colonoscopy by light years.

Cripes; how one can even relate that to not seeing a doctor for years at a time due to not being able to afford it or, the even worse example of having a diagnosed disease but sorry, you're not covered for the treatments so off you go, best of luck.

Jeesuz; why are they even attempting to defend that azzbackwards approach to health care in a so-called developed country. It amazes me they believe in the concept of universal education, which could arguably be termed a luxury, but balk at providing a necessity of life.
A Dr appt is going to run you about $100 unless the hospitals bought all the Dr clinics, so nobody is going years without seeing the Dr unless it is by choice. I've seen the Dr. three times in 15 years and each time was for stitches. A hospital is going to charge you over $1000 for stitches, but a Dr. can do it for about $200-$300.

Health insurance, like any other insurance, is going to cover exactly what the policy says that it will cover. The insurance policy is simply a contract.

The colonoscopy came up by one of your fellow Canadians that said there was no wait list and then by someone else that said Miami had month long waiting times. Both people were proven wrong.

Quote:
I tend to agree, however, we could just do what Europe does and limit the expenses to exactly what was collected in revenues and not a penny more. Naturally, if people need service and the money has already been spent then they will have to pay for a private doc or be put on a waiting list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Bullcrap, I know you can get a colonoscopy in week or less. This whole "rationing and waiting" meme is getting tiring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I'm not an old lady, yet I had to have a colonoscopy to diagnose a stomach discomfort I was having. From the date I was referred, to the actual date I had it done (in Miami, FL) a MONTH passed, and I had insurance, "fabulous" insurance, by states' standards. So I'd like to know exactly where people are having colonoscopies done the day after in the U.S., unless it's some kind of nice little scammy colonoscopy practice held by a few physicians.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:24 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

To answer your question, ignorance and brainwashed.

People like BigJon3475 probably doesn't realize that you can not go to the doctor one day and have a colonoscopy the next morning.

Only in America do people clap and cheer for the privilege of paying double for healthcare.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:28 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Well BruSan, I'd argue that health care is more important than education for many people. People pay thousands to $10k+ a year in property taxes for good schools. I hope they are ready to pay as much for national health.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Well BruSan, I'd argue that health care is more important than education for many people. People pay thousands to $10k+ a year in property taxes for good schools. I hope they are ready to pay as much for national health.
People in the US are already paying that for healthcare.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:31 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
People in the US are already paying that for healthcare.
Not everyone....

Old 07-04-2013, 10:32 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
To answer your question, ignorance and brainwashed.

People like BigJon3475 probably doesn't realize that you can not go to the doctor one day and have a colonoscopy the next morning.

Only in America do people clap and cheer for the privilege of paying double for healthcare.
Actually, nobody is clapping and cheering for the cost... It's just that some people want free healthcare and don't want to address the cost. They want single payer like Europe without the competition, American monopoly prices, luxurious hospital amenities, and without capping expenses.

Sorry, that's just not possible. If we retain a monopolistic system then we have to pay monopoly prices.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:36 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Actually, nobody is clapping and cheering for the cost... It's just that some people want free healthcare and don't want to address the cost. They want single payer like Europe without the competition, American monopoly prices, luxurious hospital amenities, and without capping expenses.

Sorry, that's just not possible. If we retain a monopolistic system then we have to pay monopoly prices.
What we have right now is a monopolistic system. There is no competition at all. Having multiple private insurance companies is not real competition because not a single company is doing anything to drive costs down. Group rates are what set prices, and having a one million member geographical group plan is better than having several thousand in one geographical area, don't you think? Since government has the incentive, due to political pressure, to reduce costs, they will have lower reimbursements than private companies. Medicare already does this, but then at the same time you guys complain out of the other side of your mouths that the government doesn't pay doctors enough. In the UK, where healthcare is more monopolistic than in continental Europe, healthcare costs are nowhere near through the roof like they are in the US, so your theory of monopolistic prices is just that, a theory unique to America

Old 07-04-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Not everyone....
The average family health insurance premiums are close to $16k a year. Individual policies can get expensive very quick, especially if you are over 50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies