Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 05:57 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
As the saying goes, bad cases make bad law! Trying to craft a one size fits all ruling in the case cited by the op and the hypothetical posted above is in my opinion a really bad idea.

In the first case, the actions of the police were so outrageous on so many grounds that asking for redress under the 3rd Amendment is just overkill. In case cited in the OP the police are going to have such a high burden to prove that the ONLY place in the entire universe was from the plaintiff's home. I would think that it would be easier to climb Mt. Everest.

But by the same token, I would not in the least bit happy if the Court handed down a rule so broad as preclude the police from not only evicting a residence but to use that residence to respond to an imminent threat to safety of others, a protection that the 3rd Amendment doesn't not provide nor is in line with a long string of state and federal court decisions.
i agree, and i am not looking for a ruling that banishes police from evicting people from their homes completely, i do know that there are occasions where it has to happen for the greater good. what i am looking for is sensible case law that tells police, government really, under what conditions that would be acceptable to evict the homeowners. this way there would be clear cut guidelines to follow.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:18 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
This is not a national issue, pretty much one of a kind and if the police acted incorrectly they will pay the price.

I didn't know we had a 3rd amendment, only a first and second
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies