Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 07:23 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times

Advertisements

https://www.courthousenews.com/2013/07/03/59061.htm

The Volokh Conspiracy » A Real Live Third Amendment Case

Quote:
It continues: "At 10:45 a.m. defendant Officer Christopher Worley (HPD) contacted plaintiff Anthony Mitchell via his telephone. Worley told plaintiff that police needed to occupy his home in order to gain a 'tactical advantage' against the occupant of the neighboring house. Anthony Mitchell told the officer that he did not want to become involved and that he did not want police to enter his residence. Although Worley continued to insist that plaintiff should leave his residence, plaintiff clearly explained that he did not intend to leave his home or to allow police to occupy his home. Worley then ended the phone call.
Click the link for the rest. The police forcibly enter his house, arrest the occupants and haul them to jail. All so they could watch his neighbors!? It gets worse. He claims they shot him and his dog with 'pepperbags' for no reason while cussing at him. Note that this is from the plaintiff's pov, no response from police yet.

Will be very interesting to see the outcome. Third amendment violation cases are rare. The police are rapidly becoming militarized and are really testing the limits of their authority. I hope this dept gets nailed for this one. If the events as described are true, this is infuriating and sickening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 08:12 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
I predicted that the 3rd Amendment would become much more relevant as the police state moves forward. The British police did the same thing during the Olympics and they put missile turrets on civilian apartment buildings for "security". Watch and see.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:58 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
It's amazing how one-sided the conclusions are when you eat up without question what only one side of a dispute says.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:11 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,900 times
Default Police commandeer homes, owners sue claiming 3rd amendment violation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
https://www.courthousenews.com/2013/07/03/59061.htm

The Volokh Conspiracy » A Real Live Third Amendment Case

Click the link for the rest. The police forcibly enter his house, arrest the occupants and haul them to jail. All so they could watch his neighbors!? It gets worse. He claims they shot him and his dog with 'pepperbags' for no reason while cussing at him. Note that this is from the plaintiff's pov, no response from police yet.

Will be very interesting to see the outcome. Third amendment violation cases are rare. The police are rapidly becoming militarized and are really testing the limits of their authority. I hope this dept gets nailed for this one. If the events as described are true, this is infuriating and sickening.

I wish the Mitchells all the luck in the world in winning this case against the sloppy police action this disgraceful dept engaged in.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:12 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
It's amazing how one-sided the conclusions are when you eat up without question what only one side of a dispute says.
I live in the Las Vegas area, and while I won't take one side of the story as the whole truth without first hearing the other side I can safely say that based on past experiences here in the valley I wouldn't be surprised that this really happened the way they said it did.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:46 AM
bUU

I wouldn't be surprised to learn a police department made a mistake, either - just like I wouldn't be surprised if the complainant's diatribe is a pack of lies or deceptions. This things don't surprise me anymore. What would surprise me would be if James Madison was magically transported to today and declared thus-and-such to be substantially more of a "police state" than the United States when the Third Amendment was drafted. If anything, we're on a steady though still variable path toward greater levels of liberty and freedom, despite vacuous claims to the contrary by those who want more than they're entitled to.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:47 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to learn a police department made a mistake, either - just like I wouldn't be surprised if the complainant's diatribe is a pack of lies or deceptions. This things don't surprise me anymore. What would surprise me would be if James Madison was magically transported to today and declared thus-and-such to be substantially more of a "police state" than the United States when the Third Amendment was drafted. If anything, we're on a steady though still variable path toward greater levels of liberty and freedom, despite vacuous claims to the contrary by those who want more than they're entitled to.
What happened is not a mistake.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:32 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times
No matter what, this should not have happened. When the police broke down his front door, they should have been meet with deadly force. They broke the law, they can not legally come into a home with out having a warrant or a reason to believe the home owner has violated the law and is in the process of destroying evidence. No where does the law give the police the power to operate outside of the law.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:05 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
What happened is not a mistake.
So you claim.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:31 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,224,978 times
The only mistake was that the cops didn't leave in body bags. Cops in this country are out of control! They violate citizens' rights on a daily basis. It's only going to get worse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies